Author Topic: Independence Day 2018  (Read 2046 times)

randallb

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: Independence Day 2018
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 03:55:31 PM »
Up here, north of the 49th... Canada Day is July 1.  There is a lovely hymn in the ELW called This Is My Song ( tune: Finlandia) that expresses a balance between love of country and God's love for all nations.  It will be our sending hymn along with a petition in the prayers of the church.

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
Up here, north of the 49th... Canada Day is July 1.  There is a lovely hymn in the ELW called This Is My Song ( tune: Finlandia) that expresses a balance between love of country and God's love for all nations.  It will be our sending hymn along with a petition in the prayers of the church.

Yes to This is my song - we have used that one several times here in Brooklyn.  Good way to get Finland into the mix, and as you say, it strikes a good balance.

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 06:00:58 PM »

Thanks for this tip. I checked it out. It is wonderfully worded and expresses patriotism correctly. We pray "Thy kingdom come" not make "America great again".  :)

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John Theiss

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 06:03:39 PM »
For those with the interest and time to do so, you might wish to look up and read the whole of both the US and Canadian national anthems.  Additional verses which are almost unknown to most citizens of both countries contain some very interesting statements about "God and country". 

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 06:13:39 PM »
For those with the interest and time to do so, you might wish to look up and read the whole of both the US and Canadian national anthems.  Additional verses which are almost unknown to most citizens of both countries contain some very interesting statements about "God and country".
The third verse of the US national anthem is interesting to say the least:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

For hubris you can't beat line 5 in the last stanza:

O thus be it ever when freemen shall stand
Between their lov’d home and the war’s desolation!
Blest with vict’ry and peace may the heav’n rescued land
Praise the power that hath made and preserv’d us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto - “In God is our trust,”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2018, 06:14:31 PM »
Just a point to clarify something for myself.  Since the 4th falls on a Wednesday, midway between the Sundays, the weekend preceding it is considered the July 4th weekend? I really wasn't sure.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 06:20:32 PM »
I can be as patriotic as the next person, but I am not in favor of ever having the flag in the sanctuary.  It sends the wrong message about our ultimate kingdom - the kingdom of Grace.  The only exception I could accept would be on a casket in a funeral when appropriate.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

John Theiss

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
As an aside, in verse three the reference to "hireling and slave" is to mercenary soldiers (such as the German troops) who were being used by the British to fight, and slaves (of any colour) who were being used by the British to repair damaged equipment and to serve the soldiers (especially of officer rank).  Unfortunately some have interpreted the words to be a support for the practice of slavery when it is a statement that no one among the British - soldier, mercenary or slave - was safe from the eventual outcome of victory for the US side.  Whether or not it is good poetry or good history, much less good theology, I am not addressing.   

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2018, 07:36:17 PM »
Just a point to clarify something for myself.  Since the 4th falls on a Wednesday, midway between the Sundays, the weekend preceding it is considered the July 4th weekend? I really wasn't sure.
When the Fouth falls in the middle of the week, I move the observance to whichever weekend is more convenient for me.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2018, 09:38:54 PM »
My Archbishop has just published a beautiful, Christocentric encyclical for American Independence Day:

https://www.goarch.org/-/encyclical-of-archbishop-demetrios-for-independence-day-2018

To the Most Reverend Hierarchs, the Reverend Priests and Deacons, the Monks and Nuns, the Presidents and Members of the Parish Councils of the Greek Orthodox Communities, the Distinguished Archons of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the Day, Afternoon, and Church Schools, the Philoptochos Sisterhoods, the Youth, the Hellenic Organizations, and the entire Greek Orthodox Family in America

Beloved Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

As we commemorate Independence Day, we are gathered in Boston for our 44th Biennial Clergy-Laity Congress.  We are meeting in a city that has deep historical connections to the struggle for independence, a place where events supported the cause of liberty, and significant effort and sacrifice secured freedom and the birth of a new nation.

The theme of our Congress is connected to this history and to this place in a manner that provides a spiritual foundation for our freedom.  Within the land of liberty and beyond, we have the freedom to pursue our potential in offering faith and love to others.  We continue to affirm through our Congress and through our witness as Orthodox Christians that all things are possible to the one who believes in Christ. 

We know and proclaim that all things are possible through faith because our Almighty God has freed us from sin and death through the power of the Holy Resurrection.  We know the impossible is possible, because He has the power to set all of creation free from the bondage of decay to obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God (Romans 8:21).   Through our faith in Christ, we have the freedom to live in the manner and for the purpose for which we were created, to explore the unlimited potential of the power of His grace.

We are blessed to live in a nation and society that values liberty and in a place where our freedom in Christ is joined with a freedom to worship, to minister, and to serve as we are led by God. We are free to work together as brothers and sisters in Christ, free to show and lead others to Him, and free to pursue the unlimited potential of our faith.  Let us be committed to pursuing the opportunities offered by this freedom.  As people of faith living in a free society and guided by the freedom we have in Christ, let us proclaim the truth that all things are possible and follow with action and plans that will bring honor and glory to God!

With paternal love in Him,

†DEMETRIOS

Archbishop of America
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
When the Fouth falls in the middle of the week, I move the observance to whichever weekend is more convenient for me.

Exactly.  We're doing a bunch of community outreach stuff this weekend, and in New York City this past week was (finally) the last week of school, so I/we decided to hold our observances this Sunday as the (at last) beginning of summer.

Dave Benke