Author Topic: Breaking News from SW Texas Synod assembly  (Read 5483 times)

readselerttoo

Breaking News from SW Texas Synod assembly
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
The Rev. Sue Briner has been elected Bishop of the SW Texas Synod-ELCA on 178 votes over The Rev. Dr. Paul Ziese.  Congrats. to Bp. Briner.

Pr. Briner has been Bp. Ray Tiemann's assistant on staff.  Bp. Tiemann completes 18 years of dedicated service to both God and our synod.  Blessings upon both.

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking News from SW Texas Synod assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 05:03:24 PM »
Pastor Rahn, do you know how many ELCA Synods currently have a female bishop?

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
Two African-American women were elected bishop in recent synod assemblies as well (the first two African American women):

The Rev. Patricia Davenport, Southeastern Pennsylvania and the Rev. Viviane Thomas-Breitfeld, South Central Wisconsin.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 12:33:16 PM »
Two African-American women were elected bishop in recent synod assemblies as well (the first two African American women):

The Rev. Patricia Davenport, Southeastern Pennsylvania and the Rev. Viviane Thomas-Breitfeld, South Central Wisconsin.
Yes, although the first of that above breaking news was posted on the Forum here first.   ;)  Courtesy of this humble correspondent, your most trusted source for SEPA breaking news--we bested the other synod by a day!  ;D  (SEPA was May 4-5, SCWI May 5-6)

As I mentioned in that post, the ELCA Secretary Chris Boerger oversaw the SEPA bishop election...does anyone know which churchwide officials were at these other assemblies?  Did Wisconsin get the presiding bishop?  I'm curious how that all works, as I didn't realize bishop elections required it.  I can tell you that Secretary Boerger also took in the final performance of the opera Carmen at the Academy of Music after the assembly adjourned, a token of appreciation arranged by retiring Bishop Claire Burkat.

Sterling Spatz
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:39:04 PM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 02:36:42 PM »
From the ELCA website, it looks like there are 12 female Synod Bishops among the 65 Synod Bishops.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

As I mentioned in that post, the ELCA Secretary Chris Boerger oversaw the SEPA bishop election...does anyone know which churchwide officials were at these other assemblies?  Did Wisconsin get the presiding bishop?  I'm curious how that all works, as I didn't realize bishop elections required it. 

I don't think they require a churchwide official; as I recall, the last synod bishop process in which I was involved, a bishop from another synod supervised it.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 05:24:17 PM »

Yes, although the first of that above breaking news was posted on the Forum here first.   ;)  Courtesy of this humble correspondent, your most trusted source for SEPA breaking news--we bested the other synod by a day!  ;D  (SEPA was May 4-5, SCWI May 5-6)

As I mentioned in that post, the ELCA Secretary Chris Boerger oversaw the SEPA bishop election...does anyone know which churchwide officials were at these other assemblies?  Did Wisconsin get the presiding bishop?  I'm curious how that all works, as I didn't realize bishop elections required it.  I can tell you that Secretary Boerger also took in the final performance of the opera Carmen at the Academy of Music after the assembly adjourned, a token of appreciation arranged by retiring Bishop Claire Burkat.

Sterling Spatz

Sorry, didn't see the thread.  And here I thought I was offering up breaking news.  I'l have to go scent out a new story.

I hope for a day when the result of an election of bishop is simply the name, not gender, sexual preference, ethnicity, etc., but simply the name as one responding to God's call.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »
Oh, but Eileen, you simply don't understand the cosmic significance here. Consider this statement from an ELCA pastor who is a leader in the "decolonize Lutheranism" movement, responding to the election of two African American women as bishops:

“I'm going to keep celebrating - but to the white super majority of this church I want to give a little reminder. The forces of the passive-aggressive white supremacist demon that has utterly possessed large swaths of the Lutheran communion will - sooner or later - start doing everything it can to test and break down the progress that was made this weekend.

"We can't let that happen. We cannot. We must pray with our hearts, our feet, our emails, our vigilance, with EVERTHING WE HAVE to take down every one of those damn little devil's imps, whenever and wherever we find them, if we are to be the community capable of sustaining the blessings that we have been given these last few days.

"And that doesn't mean that our SALVATION is dependent upon this - not at all. We're Lutheran. We know we have Grace and nothing that we can do will make us worthy of this grace. Rather, it is the soul of our DENOMINATION that we must safeguard, protect, nurture, defend if that for which so many of us have prayed, struggled, labored - which has born such amazing fruit - may continue to produce more such fruit - 30, 60, and 100 fold.”

The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 05:40:40 PM »
Those in the "decolonize Lutheranism" movement should be glad that I am LCMS.  One less white, male, middle class, cisgender, straight devil less to exorcized from their denomination.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 05:54:21 PM »
Oh, but Eileen, you simply don't understand the cosmic significance here. Consider this statement from an ELCA pastor who is a leader in the "decolonize Lutheranism" movement......

I am LCMS so it was probably expected that I wouldn't be familiar with the Decolonize Lutheranism Movement.  For those like me who knew nothing of this, here is their website: http://decolonizelutheranism.org/

And here are their "Reformation Goals":
1. 10 bishops serving in the ELCA at once that are either people of color (POC), queer, transgender / gender non-conforming (trans/GNC), or have a disability, and triple the current number of women bishops (with priority to the identities above).

2. Sustainable and appropriate salaries for POC (especially womanist, mujerista, and other feminists of color), queer, trans/GNC, and disabled ELCA professors, and have at least 4 such professors at each ELCA seminary.

3. Assist the ELCA seminaries in decolonizing their curricula.

4. Research statistics on the pay and support for TEEM pastors as opposed to traditionally-ordained pastors.

5. Research and publication on the condition of POC churches and their levels of synodical and churchwide support.

6. Initiate support/action groups for #decolonizeLutheranism in every synod in the ELCA within 3 years in preparation for the 2019 Churchwide Assembly (CWA).

7. Organize classes (through any available media) in Robert Rules of Order to better equip under-represented delegates for CWA 2019.

8. Commit to amplifying 50 new blogging voices in the #decolonizeLutheranism movement during the coming year.

9. Spend the next nine months creating a #decolonizeLutheranism syllabus focusing on but not limited to Lutherans who are POC, queer, trans/GNC, and have a disability. Distribute it via social media and email by August 1, 2017.

10. Call for the production of a comprehensive text centered on global Lutheranism and advocate for its use in seminaries and parishes.

11. Advocate that in each synod, the synodical candidacy committees have queer, disabled, trans/GNC, and POC representation to allow for a greater diversity of perspectives in candidate discernment.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 06:12:00 PM »
A bit of advice for the Decolonize Lutheranism people to help their agenda.  For parliamentary procedure, a simple guide that I’ve found very useful is Parliamentary Procedure at a Glance: Revised Edition by O. Garfield Jones.  I’ve found it to be a well laid out guide that is easily referred to during a meeting.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 06:17:48 PM »
I had never heard of "Decolonize Lutheranism" until now. How sad and depressing. May God strengthen and preserve the faithful remnant in the ELCA - the Church of my fathers and my childhood (LCA).

Kyrie eleison!

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 07:03:24 PM »
Oh, but Eileen, you simply don't understand the cosmic significance here. Consider this statement from an ELCA pastor who is a leader in the "decolonize Lutheranism" movement, responding to the election of two African American women as bishops:

“I'm going to keep celebrating - but to the white super majority of this church I want to give a little reminder. The forces of the passive-aggressive white supremacist demon that has utterly possessed large swaths of the Lutheran communion will - sooner or later - start doing everything it can to test and break down the progress that was made this weekend.

"We can't let that happen. We cannot. We must pray with our hearts, our feet, our emails, our vigilance, with EVERTHING WE HAVE to take down every one of those damn little devil's imps, whenever and wherever we find them, if we are to be the community capable of sustaining the blessings that we have been given these last few days.

"And that doesn't mean that our SALVATION is dependent upon this - not at all. We're Lutheran. We know we have Grace and nothing that we can do will make us worthy of this grace. Rather, it is the soul of our DENOMINATION that we must safeguard, protect, nurture, defend if that for which so many of us have prayed, struggled, labored - which has born such amazing fruit - may continue to produce more such fruit - 30, 60, and 100 fold.”

Pr. Johnson, out of curiosity and not out of snark directed at you, do you have a citation for this? Constructing an epigraphy of sorts may help illuminate some of the cross pollination of “wokeness” between this outfit, Nekkid & Shameless, and Sunday’s & Seaons, etc.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 07:11:00 PM »

Pr. Johnson, out of curiosity and not out of snark directed at you, do you have a citation for this? Constructing an epigraphy of sorts may help illuminate some of the cross pollination of “wokeness” between this outfit, Nekkid & Shameless, and Sunday’s & Seaons, etc.

It was posted on Facebook by Francisco Herrera.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

TERJr

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
Thank you.