Author Topic: What's Next For the ALPB?  (Read 6559 times)

Don Whitbeck

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Don, St Pauls Lutheran Church, Royal Oak, Mi
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next For the ALPB?
« Reply #135 on: May 05, 2018, 04:24:05 PM »
Don writes:
 I won't seek out help from Human Social Services either.
I comment:
Why not? It is one of the ways that we in our society help one another. I am glad when I learn that my taxes make it easier for people in need to live comfortably or to obtain necessary services.

It was pure hell to obtain medical help from the state for my wife's illness. It's a long drawn out process, of filling out all kinds of forms, talking to Social Workers, go to see a State employed Doctor, to evaluate her, (that was more than once by different Doctors.)

Then they took $478.00 out of my pension, gave her Medicaid Health Insurance, which is worthless because Doctors won't treat people with it unless she goes into the hospital.  The State finally gave her a Medicaid/Medicare policy, connected with HAP. HAP doesn't cover a lot of her medical issues, and very little of Medications, of which I pay the majority of all of them.

I went through the same BS, when I applied for Disability, do to my illness. I saw a Shrink for three years, went to the local county Mental Health Clinic. This is what happened, you go in once every three months. You walk in the Shrink office, set down, then they ask three questions, How are you doing? What medications are you taking?  Here are your refills for the medications, check them out at the clinic. That's all.  One time I went in to seen a Shrink a young man, he asked me 8 questions, and then he wrote out a report for the county.

My Social Worker showed me what he wrote. 10 pages of BS that he never even asked me.  I told her this is a bunch of crap, he never asked any questions like this.  She said, well, there is nothing I can do about it. He is the Doctor. That was it.

Three months later I quit, based on what my DO, your over medicated, and we need to get you down to where you can function, like a normal person.  You don't need all of these drugs at all. I will help you, and I can get you down to 4 drugs that will improve your health, and Brain Function. Although, your cognitive functions won't be the same ever. You will always have them the rest of your life.

So that's why I won't go to Social Services.  I hope you understand why Charles.

Thanks for your comment!

Don

The Voice of God will NEVER Contradict the Word of God

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #136 on: May 05, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »
OK, I understand, sort of.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Steve_Shipman

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Regarding compensation: I figure that it costs me something like $1000 a year to serve on the ALPB Board, and I consider that a worthwhile contribution. God has blessed me, and I believe this is one way I can be a good steward. I wouldn't have to take Amtrak to New York for the meetings and I could Skype in, of course, to cut that amount, but I prefer to be there in person. I also know what our editors and our executive director get paid, and frankly, I think any of them could win a legal case regarding minimum wage (but please don't tell them). Also, those who write for us might be able to buy a cup or two of coffee at Starbucks annually on what they receive for their efforts. ALPB isn't in it for the money nor is anybody who contributes articles, manuscripts, etc. for us, but there are bills that need to be paid. We have a decent fund balance at the moment, but also are running a slight deficit every year and we aren't the government and can't print money. I don't want to lay a guilt trip on anybody and I realize we are all in different situations financially. But if you can, please take Richard Johnson's gentle hint and consider a tax-deductible contribution each year. It doesn't have to be large -- what if everybody on here would donate at least $25 per year to support ALPB? And more if you are able.
W. Stevens Shipman, Jr., STS
Retired

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks you, Steve. You are one of hundreds of Lutherans (lay and ordained) who have given themselves, their time, and their possessions for a hundred years in order to make the ALPB what it is. God has blessed American Lutherans through the hands of the many like you.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Padre Emeritus

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:26 PM »
A similar product, Treasury of Daily Prayer, from CPH is available on Kindle or as an Android app, “PrayNow.”

Also available for iOS, the operating system that is truly divinely inspired.....
The Old Padre Dave Poedel, now retired, coming back to catch up with friends, old and new

gan ainm

« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
A similar product, Treasury of Daily Prayer, from CPH is available on Kindle or as an Android app, “PrayNow.”

Also available for iOS, the operating system that is truly divinely inspired.....

I'm glad you see the light!   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
Thanks you, Steve. You are one of hundreds of Lutherans (lay and ordained) who have given themselves, their time, and their possessions for a hundred years in order to make the ALPB what it is. God has blessed American Lutherans through the hands of the many like you.

Peace, JOHN

Steve is a bit younger than I, so I am sure he has not given to ALPB for 100 years.
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
Thank you, Steve. You are one of hundreds of Lutherans (lay and ordained) who have given themselves, their time, and their possessions for a hundred years in order to make the ALPB what it is. God has blessed American Lutherans through the hands of the many like you.

Peace, JOHN

Steve is a bit younger than I, so I am sure he has not given to ALPB for 100 years.

Well, you never know.  Actually, it's hundreds who have given over a hundred years. Steve is merely one those hundreds. As am I and many others this day.
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS