Author Topic: What's Next For the ALPB?  (Read 6803 times)

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next For the ALPB?
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »
Raise the dues. $100 seems appropriate.

Then what? Lots of endless complaining and moaning about legalism, etc. I can hear it now. Jesus died freely out of pure love and grace, so why should I pay for something that appears to be an indulgence? I'm a Lutheran!!! Find another way to fund what I am enjoying here.

Thanks for your suggestion, though. I'll bring it up to the Board.   >:(  8)   ;D

Peace, JOHN
ALPB President

Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2018, 07:10:56 PM »
Raise the dues. $100 seems appropriate.

Way back when ALPB started, there actually were "dues": one dollar a year minimum.

Early on, ALPB ceased being a "membership" organization, so no more "dues." The organization survives on subscriptions and sales, voluntary charitable contributions, and (very minimally) advertising revenue.

But of course, John didn't really mean "dues." He was quoting the subscription price for the Forum package. And very important to our maintenance is the generosity of those who respond each year to our "Christmas appeal" To be sure, you needn't wait until Christmas to make your tax-deductible contribution! You could consider that your "dues," and then a hundred bucks sounds quite reasonable.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2018, 07:11:46 PM »

Is there somewhere on the ALPB that shows a balance sheet, i.e. expenses and income, that we could look at?  Also maybe something about the purpose and expected outcomes of the ALPB.  Might provoke some ideas. 

That's an interesting idea. John, we should talk about that at the board meeting next week.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2018, 07:13:20 PM »

Of course, one could also argue that those of us who are not subscribers increase the traffic here and so perhaps lead to others purchasing subscriptions and/or other materials.  That is, we are not a drag on this forum but a draw, a benefit, a plus. We generously contribute here for nothing.  Except the occasional kick in the pants or insult from moderators and subscribers.  :)

Of course it could equally be that you drive visitors away . . . We'll have to commission a survey.  ;)

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2018, 07:35:06 PM »

Of course, one could also argue that those of us who are not subscribers increase the traffic here and so perhaps lead to others purchasing subscriptions and/or other materials.  That is, we are not a drag on this forum but a draw, a benefit, a plus. We generously contribute here for nothing.  Except the occasional kick in the pants or insult from moderators and subscribers.  :)

Of course it could equally be that you drive visitors away . . . We'll have to commission a survey.  ;)

Please do.  But will you do the same for others who post here (I am assuming your use of "you" is directed at me personally, and not the whole group of non-subscribing contributors)?  Including those who do subscribe?  You're an historian, I understand -- maybe we should bring back Athenian ostracism here.  I would gladly put my name up on the list with, say, Rev. Austin.  And if I am voted off, I will cheerfully leave. 

Don Whitbeck

• Don, St Pauls Lutheran Church, Royal Oak, Mi
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2018, 11:05:52 AM »

What about those who are on a fixed income, and see their income shrink every year? Do to Tax increases, food cost ever increases in Electricity, Gas, and Water. Property Taxes going up every year, medical cost for myself and my wife, as well as drug cost increases, insulin cost, and etc.

I enjoy reading ALPB, but I cannot afford $100.00 per year, as well I can't afford the $20.00 per year either.  I live on SS, and three small pensions, and that's it. 

I would hope that you and the Board Members take that into consideration too.

In Christ,

Don
The Voice of God will NEVER Contradict the Word of God

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 05, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »

What about those who are on a fixed income, and see their income shrink every year? Do to Tax increases, food cost ever increases in Electricity, Gas, and Water. Property Taxes going up every year, medical cost for myself and my wife, as well as drug cost increases, insulin cost, and etc.

I enjoy reading ALPB, but I cannot afford $100.00 per year, as well I can't afford the $20.00 per year either.  I live on SS, and three small pensions, and that's it. 

In Christ,

Don

With the exception of commission based professions, everyone is on a fixed income.  My income as a pastor is as fixed as yours.

Sorry, the whole "fixed income" argument is a particular pet peeve of mine.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Steve Ames

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 05, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
ALPB: “LUTHERAN FORUM and FORUM LETTER, … If you too love the Lutheran tradition, sometimes worry about its future, and want to keep up with the news in the LCMS, the ELCA, the NALC, and LCMC, and with what other faithful Lutherans around the world are thinking and writing about worship, theology, ecumenism and more, …”

Humorous question: Who are the unfaithful Lutherans?

More seriously, I note that LCMS, the ELCA, the NALC, and LCMC make up maybe 90% of American Lutherans.  When I see on this forum online that some opinions are unwelcomed such as from Pastors Preus, Bolland and Bohler perhaps a significant part of the LCMS Is not part of the interests of the ALPB.  It’s your organization, yet may I ask, what is the purpose for the ALPB?

The non-subscribers add information to this forum which would not otherwise be mentioned.  For example, soon Northwestern Publishing House will be releasing the whole Bible Evangelical Heritage Version. https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Evangelical-Heritage-Version-EHV-Bible/  I do not expect to see ALPB publicize this.   What does the ALPB seek to publicize?

I trust that you have already gone to electronic distribution of LUTHERAN FORUM and FORUM LETTER.   If funds are an issue I would understand requiring a subscription to access this website.  I have the same level of interest for this website as I have for Lutherquest.   If the ALPB decides to go to a subscriber only website I will say my goodbye to this website.
John 6
 28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
 29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Don Whitbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 05, 2018, 12:30:05 PM »

In Christ,

Don

With the exception of commission based professions, everyone is on a fixed income.  My income as a pastor is as fixed as yours.

Sorry, the whole "fixed income" argument is a particular pet peeve of mine.

I always thought that Pastors, and their staffs, where always underpaid.  Sorry to hear that, but there are millions of us in the same boat, some at worse than others. Even a person making $95,000.00 is considered to be low income.  It may be a pet peeve for you, but it isn't by many of those in the same boat that we and others find themselves in.

I've seen people obtain help from Human Social Service, as well as Private agencies.  Due to my illness, I not allowed to work, either is my wife, and she is in worst shape then I'm in.  I won't seek out help from Human Social Services either.

In Christ,

Don

Don Whitbeck

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
ALPB: “LUTHERAN FORUM and FORUM LETTER, … If you too love the Lutheran tradition, sometimes worry about its future, and want to keep up with the news in the LCMS, the ELCA, the NALC, and LCMC, and with what other faithful Lutherans around the world are thinking and writing about worship, theology, ecumenism and more, …”

Humorous question: Who are the unfaithful Lutherans?

More seriously, I note that LCMS, the ELCA, the NALC, and LCMC make up maybe 90% of American Lutherans.  When I see on this forum online that some opinions are unwelcomed such as from Pastors Preus, Bolland and Bohler perhaps a significant part of the LCMS Is not part of the interests of the ALPB.  It’s your organization, yet may I ask, what is the purpose of the ALPB?

The non-subscribers add information to this forum which would not otherwise be mentioned.  For example, soon Northwestern Publishing House will be releasing the whole Bible Evangelical Heritage Version. https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Evangelical-Heritage-Version-EHV-Bible/  I do not expect to see ALPB publicize this.   What does the ALPB seek to publicize?

I trust that you have already gone to electronic distribution of LUTHERAN FORUM and FORUM LETTER.   If funds are an issue I would understand requiring a subscription to access this website.  I have the same level of interest for this website as I have for Lutherquest.   If the ALPB decides to go to a subscriber-only website I will say my goodbye to this website.

Yes, I agree, I like both of them. If they want to charge $100.00 to be a part of ALPB, then I will leave also. That would make a lot of people here very happy, I'm sure.

In Christ,

Don

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 05, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
For example, soon Northwestern Publishing House will be releasing the whole Bible Evangelical Heritage Version. https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Evangelical-Heritage-Version-EHV-Bible/  I do not expect to see ALPB publicize this.   

This is the first I've heard of this. While you correctly expect that ALPB would not "publicize this," it would be entirely normal for one or the other of the ALPB publications to offer a review. In fact I think I'll probably do that in Forum Letter. But like any publication, it won't get reviewed if the organs that review it aren't notified about it.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #131 on: May 05, 2018, 02:44:06 PM »
Don writes:
 I won't seek out help from Human Social Services either.
I comment:
Why not? It is one of the ways that we in our society help one another. I am glad when I learn that my taxes make it easier for people in need to live comfortably or to obtain necessary services.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Twice-vaccinated.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2018, 03:21:01 PM »
For example, soon Northwestern Publishing House will be releasing the whole Bible Evangelical Heritage Version. https://www.biblegateway.com/versions/Evangelical-Heritage-Version-EHV-Bible/  I do not expect to see ALPB publicize this.   

This is the first I've heard of this. While you correctly expect that ALPB would not "publicize this," it would be entirely normal for one or the other of the ALPB publications to offer a review. In fact I think I'll probably do that in Forum Letter. But like any publication, it won't get reviewed if the organs that review it aren't notified about it.

Who is doing the work on this translation?   Who are the scholars involved, and from whence do they come?   I have absolutely never heard of it until this post.  The question in reviewing versions of the Bible is how they turn out. 

You have the ESV, which is the one the Missouri Synod finally went with for its official publications.  So this is the EHV. 

The other thing is the attitude of the poster.  Why would alpb NOT publicize it? 

Dave Benke

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »

Who is doing the work on this translation?   Who are the scholars involved, and from whence do they come?   I have absolutely never heard of it until this post.  The question in reviewing versions of the Bible is how they turn out. 

It appears to be the work of something called the Wartburg Project, described as "an association of Lutheran professors, pastors, teachers, and lay people who worked together to produce a new translation of the Bible." I gather these folks mainly come from WELS and ELS, but are not an "official" group. The web page describes their process and names some of the people involved. General editor is John Brug, a professor emeritus of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary.

Just reading around a bit, it doesn't appear to be particular quirky. No inclusive language, of course, with regard to humanity (let alone God!). The best I could find was a footnote to "brothers" in Romans 1.13 admitting that "When context indicates it, the Greek word for brothers may refer to all fellow believers, male and female."

Steve Ames

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »
I do not wish to hijack this thread nor start a new one.  I just meant this as an example of information non-subscribers can bring to the attention of the ALPB.

Rev. Dr. Benke, perhaps you recall a past ALPB thread on a WELS synod convention which discussed Bible translations and some WELS dissatisfaction with the current NIV translation.  There was even a proposal that WELS take up a project of translating the Bible which the synod convention declined to approve.  As a result, the Wartburg Project was begun –
About -- http://wartburgproject.org/

April 2018 – Progress Report https://gallery.mailchimp.com/7cd84c3406fabe06e29ef3a68/files/d5f414e4-4825-4c8c-a666-fb1ae3647b8e/Wartburg_Project_Report_2018_04.pdf

Currently Northwestern Publishing House is offering the EHV Psalms and New Testament.   The Wartburg Project and NPH is getting the whole Bible ready for publication.  The Wartburg Project is working on a Study Bible and judging from their website plan to have this completed in 2019.   The Evangelical Lutheran Synod has revised its annotated Catechism to use Bible verses from the EHV.  Bible Gateway has been licensed to use the EHV on its website.

Rev. Johnson, if I remember, I will let you and ALPB forum online know when NPH starts selling the whole Bile EHV.
John 6
 28Then they asked him, "What must we do to do the works God requires?"
 29Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."