Author Topic: God Knows What He Is Doing  (Read 1229 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
God Knows What He Is Doing
« on: March 22, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Many times we do not understand  what is happening in our life.   We start to question if God really
knows what He is doing. We become concerned whether God really has a plan and purpose for our life.

The Apostle Paul reminds us:  "Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God.
How unsearchable his judgments and his paths past understanding out.  Who has known the mind
of the Lord?  Or who has been his counselor ?" (Romans 11:33,34)

The Prophet Isaiah tells us what the Lord declares:  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts
neither are your ways my ways  For as the heavens are higher than the earth 
so are my ways higher than your ways and my thought than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8.9)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:59:07 PM by Dave Likeness »

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: God Knows What He Is Doing
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 12:57:03 PM »
Also see Job 38:1-42:6.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »
My concern is almost never “does God know what God is doing?”
My puzzlement is often, with regard to what is going on, “is God doing it?”
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 02:37:02 PM »
Charles, in your signature line you now have:

"ELCA pastor, retired. Now fully retired. Sitting out the weekly nor'easter. Snow, wind. Looking forward to long-term retirement where I don't have to deal with shoveling, power outages, sumps, etc."

Yeah, these nor'easters are too much! Where are you planning to move to? (There won't be a Broadway there.)   :(

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 02:43:05 PM »
No, no Broadway. Although we will be visiting the Big Apple a couple of times a year. If all goes as currently planned, we are headed for Minneapolis. Yes, it can be cold there, but it isn’t cold all the time.  And there is terrific theater in Minneapolis.
Still some things to do, and to consider, And to look for some “signs” that we are on track.
Even a good retirement has its stresses, and adventures.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Now in Minneapolis. One must always ponder both the value and the dangers of poking the bear. Aroused and stimulated, the bear usually shows its true self. Or it might leap to an extreme version of itself. You never know with bears.

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »
No, no Broadway. Although we will be visiting the Big Apple a couple of times a year. If all goes as currently planned, we are headed for Minneapolis. Yes, it can be cold there, but it isn’t cold all the time.  And there is terrific theater in Minneapolis.
Still some things to do, and to consider, And to look for some “signs” that we are on track.

Very excited for you all, Charles. I hope it is a joyful and blessed retirement.

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 09:25:46 AM »
I hope the transition from NJ to MN goes as smoothly as possible.  I know it can be a challenge.  Peace to you and your wife.  I know you have children and grandchildren in the MN.  Can I assume you'll be relatively close to them?  And if so, I hope it's fun!

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »

How exciting!  I believe, from posts you've offered, that you have family there.  I pray that both you and your "beloved spouse" will enjoy your life in Minneapolis and wish you God's blessing in this new chapter of life.   How are the tomatoes in Minneapolis?   :)

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:55:50 AM »
The Welcome of Charles Austin to the Midwest continues. He will be living in a state
where 20% of the adults are Lutheran.  Minneapolis has one of the finest park systems
in the nation with their Chain of Lakes.   The Walker Art Center has an excellent name
for its cultural contribution to our nation.  Minneapolis also is a major league city with
teams in the NFL, NBA, and MLB.  For those who want to shop until they drop the Mall
of America should satisfy their needs.

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 12:18:34 PM »
Not to mention that like Charles, Minnesota is a moderately liberal/progressive state.  It has also elected a professional wrestler Governor and a comedian Senator.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 05:06:54 PM »
The Minneapolis Area Synod of the ELCA  is making plans to welcome Charles Austin and his wife
to the City of Lakes. Bishop Ann Svennungsen is excited to have the  expertise of a humble
journalist in her Synod. She said that Charles Austin"s blogging reputation on the ALPB  Forum
has preceded him.   The Bishop stated that his ability to foster an atmosphere of reconciliation
is needed today. A parade from the Bishop's headquarters to Mt.Olivet Lutheran Church campus
in Minneapolis will become a reality.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 05:48:34 PM »
And on previous visits, I was already able to meet Norman Teigen, and Father Slusser.  So more meetings with them will be possible. Norman has already invited me to check out his church.
But there are some more hoops to leap through and rivers to cross.