Author Topic: A Christmas Message from the NALC  (Read 2298 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
A Christmas Message from the NALC
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:54:57 PM »
Once again a beautiful message from Bishop Bradosky.
 https://www.thenalc.org/bishop-bradoskys-christmas-message2017/

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
Re: A Christmas Message from the NALC
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 01:09:59 PM »
Lovely!
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

readselerttoo

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
IMO, a better and more appropriate message than ELCA Presiding Bishop's.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »
And was that not-so-sly dig really necessary on this day? It probably doesn’t surprise people that you’re not thrilled with messages from the ELCA.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
Off-topic-ish, but for those of the cloth on the forum, what kinds of gifts do you receive from congregants/parishioners at Christmas?  Maybe it's length of service, but lots of folks want to leave something under their pastor's tree in this part of the Caribbean basin world.  Maybe there are parts of the world where the pastor is not a recipient of gifts.  I don't know, so just checking in with the rest of you.

For my part, I get
scarves/gloves
sweaters
gift cards
cash
booze

In order of receipt, the last is unquestionably first.  I think this is a perk of being Lutheran and not some alcohol-forbidding Protestant sect.  So I receive Hennessy (including Hennessy Pure White, which is really fine stuff and no, you can't have any) , various types of rum including coquito, bourbon, scotch, wine, grappa (which is an acquired taste that I acquired while serving as a Missouri Synod District President), and this year, some moonshine from an undisclosed source.  And Judy and I are not heavy drinkers, in fact barely light drinkers.  So when we have parties at the house, people have a lot of choices.  I guess it's sort of a foretaste of the feast to come - wine of the lees and all.

I suppose there's another topic in there - do pastors get Christmas bonuses as a seasonal part of compensation?  I don't, never have, but maybe some do. 

Dave Benke

Jonathan Priest

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
I'm curious about the gifts topic, so am going to post to it...

1. Before child -- candy, booze, gift cards, scarves. After child -- clothes, toys, gift cards (for her), =)
2. My former congregation, a small "bonus"
3. Current congregation organizes a "Gift of Love" - all members contribute and the total is divided among church paid staff (office, musicians, clergy).

Seasonal bonus in both congregations was something instituted by members of congregation who received them from their employment and felt strongly about equitable practices in the church.

Jonathan Priest

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
In Galatians Paul wrote:  "Let him that is taught in the Word, share every good thing with him who teaches."  {I think I got that one right.}  Lay persons should at least pay for the Pastor's lunch. Holiday gifts are good.  Expressions of appreciation throughout the  for the pastor's ministry are even better.
Norman Teigen

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 04:13:40 PM »
I get a lot of monetary gifts, some gift cards. It's very kind and helpful. And writing thank you notes gives me something to do while I take a few days off. One year we received a meat and cheese tray, which was great. I've never not been treated kindly by the congregation whether in Ohio, Delaware, or Missouri.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 04:37:06 PM »
Mr. Teigen mentions that expressions of appreciation for the pastor's ministry are welcome throughout
the entire year.  In three different summers our family was given the use of a parish member's get-away home.
for two weeks.  Once a cabin in northern Wisconsin, another time in June we went to a condo in Tucson,
Arizona and another June to a home near Tampa, Florida.  Personally, I was often the guest of a member
at the local country club golf course or a member (who was a White Sox fan) would drive us to Chicago
to see the New York Yankees play.  There were also times when my wife and I were treated to a musical
concert

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 06:07:17 PM »
I get a lot of monetary gifts, some gift cards. It's very kind and helpful. And writing thank you notes gives me something to do while I take a few days off. One year we received a meat and cheese tray, which was great. I've never not been treated kindly by the congregation whether in Ohio, Delaware, or Missouri.

Jeremy

I forgot to include the cheese and sausage brigade.  Being native Wisconsinites, we have always appreciated an annual gift of a box of various Usinger's products.  I have just ingested a hickory stick. 

All the folks I have known through the year have been more than kind.   I went through a period of seven years (the seven lean years) when I was under an IRS tax lien for over a million American dollars and was told by the IRS that any income I might receive could be seized.  Some of my members began bringing food to the parsonage, an in-kind contribution - 10 lbs of potatoes, etc (this being a very non-rural part of the world).  That offer and those gifts remain as a strong memory of what the fellowship of the faithful is all about.

Dave Benke

Team Hesse

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 06:48:25 PM »
The congregation is paying all of my expenses for a trip to Ethiopia (and back<smile>) in January. Other than that many small kindnesses and notes of appreciation throughout the year.

Lou

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »
I usually got two bottles of scotch, from two people knew that that used to be my drink of choice.
And bags of cookies, boxes of candy, Sometimes a book, usually the wrong one.
 If I was an interim in the Christmas season, I usually got a nice financial gift.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 10:03:12 AM »
At my last parish, there was a "Christmas gift for pastor" envelope in the boxed envelopes we ordered from Augsburg. I kind of liked that because it meant I didn't know who was participating, so couldn't be influenced (or be thought to be influenced). When we called a second pastor, it was made clear that the amount given would be split evenly between the pastors; and at my urging, eventually we got an additional envelope that said "Christmas gift for the staff" which was split between secretary, custodian, etc.

Of course there were also the cookies, fruitcakes, lefse, etc., which were also appreciated. We've even gotten a couple of things like that from our present congregation members, even though I'm just a retired guy in the pew who helps out now and then.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

LCMS87

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 10:10:07 AM »
At my last parish, there was a "Christmas gift for pastor" envelope in the boxed envelopes we ordered from Augsburg. I kind of liked that because it meant I didn't know who was participating, so couldn't be influenced (or be thought to be influenced). When we called a second pastor, it was made clear that the amount given would be split evenly between the pastors; and at my urging, eventually we got an additional envelope that said "Christmas gift for the staff" which was split between secretary, custodian, etc.

Of course there were also the cookies, fruitcakes, lefse, etc., which were also appreciated. We've even gotten a couple of things like that from our present congregation members, even though I'm just a retired guy in the pew who helps out now and then.

Ever any lutefisk?  (Would that be a sign of love and appreciation?)

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:03 AM »
Fresh home made lefse would be the ultimate food gift.
Norman Teigen