Author Topic: A Christmas Message from the NALC  (Read 2398 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A Christmas Message from the NALC
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:27 PM »
It was 36 degrees below zero in International Falls, Minnesota today at 6 am.
This morning city officials cancelled the Ice Fishing Contest scheduled for this
weekend. The Christmas message from Minnesota is "Baby, it is cold outside".

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
At my last parish, there was a "Christmas gift for pastor" envelope in the boxed envelopes we ordered from Augsburg. I kind of liked that because it meant I didn't know who was participating, so couldn't be influenced (or be thought to be influenced). When we called a second pastor, it was made clear that the amount given would be split evenly between the pastors; and at my urging, eventually we got an additional envelope that said "Christmas gift for the staff" which was split between secretary, custodian, etc.

Of course there were also the cookies, fruitcakes, lefse, etc., which were also appreciated. We've even gotten a couple of things like that from our present congregation members, even though I'm just a retired guy in the pew who helps out now and then.

Ever any lutefisk?  (Would that be a sign of love and appreciation?)

No and no!!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »
Fresh home made lefse would be the ultimate food gift.

We had two church members who were world class lefse makers. Now that they're gone (one died, one moved) we have had to work on our own lefse skills. Made a batch this year but have to say our Chinese in-laws aren't all that wild about it.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »
At my last parish, there was a "Christmas gift for pastor" envelope in the boxed envelopes we ordered from Augsburg. I kind of liked that because it meant I didn't know who was participating, so couldn't be influenced (or be thought to be influenced). When we called a second pastor, it was made clear that the amount given would be split evenly between the pastors; and at my urging, eventually we got an additional envelope that said "Christmas gift for the staff" which was split between secretary, custodian, etc.

Of course there were also the cookies, fruitcakes, lefse, etc., which were also appreciated. We've even gotten a couple of things like that from our present congregation members, even though I'm just a retired guy in the pew who helps out now and then.

I like the splitting of the pot.  Good karma with the staff troops is thus encouraged. 

Dave Benke

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2017, 10:50:49 PM »
Ever any lutefisk?  (Would that be a sign of love and appreciation?)

Ja und ja!

And I am Pennsylvania Dutch (German).
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
Here at my rural parish in northern Wisconsin we regularly receive a number of food-related gifts, usually candy and cookies.  One parishoner generously blessed us with a very nice ham in a basket also graced with some rather nice craft beer!  One wealthy business owner who is a member gives us a sizeable check each year, and I think it is around this time of year that we also receive a substantial check from the memorial fund left behind by another wealthy business owner who passed away some years ago.  Also, gift cards are given, usually to our favorite local eating establishments!  One farm family gives us butter and cheese - very appropriate around here!
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Don Whitbeck

• Don, St Pauls Lutheran Church, Royal Oak, Mi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 02:20:02 PM »
And was that not-so-sly dig really necessary on this day? It probably doesn’t surprise people that you’re not thrilled with messages from the ELCA.

Congratulations, on your retirement, Pastor Austin. Thank you for your many years of Service to Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!  I can imagine, you setting around and doing nothing. I hope you have plans to travel, relax and enjoy life like you always have!

God Bless you!

Don Whitbeck
Confessional Lutheran
The Voice of God will NEVER Contradict the Word of God

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 07:27:27 PM »
Here at my rural parish in northern Wisconsin we regularly receive a number of food-related gifts, usually candy and cookies.  One parishoner generously blessed us with a very nice ham in a basket also graced with some rather nice craft beer!  One wealthy business owner who is a member gives us a sizeable check each year, and I think it is around this time of year that we also receive a substantial check from the memorial fund left behind by another wealthy business owner who passed away some years ago.  Also, gift cards are given, usually to our favorite local eating establishments!  One farm family gives us butter and cheese - very appropriate around here!

Cheese, butter, beer - everything's coming up Wisconsin!

Dave Benke

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
To get back on track-

I find it interesting to look at the two messages side to side- the one from PB Eaton and the one from Bp. Bradosky.

I think that you can see  the difference between the two groups in their respective messages. I learned not a whole lot about Bp. Bradosky from his message. Bishop Eaton on the other hand, shared a great deal.

There is a time and a place for both styles of presenting the Gospel. And I certainly do not wish to disparage Bp. Eaton, about whom I continue to hear good things. But I think it says something about the the respective denominations that one's leader's message starts with Jesus and gets to us and the other's leader's starts with us and gets to Jesus.

Both are well written but they have two different centers of gravity.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2017, 08:11:43 PM »

Perhaps not so much two different centers of gravity; but rather two different ellipses, both with twin foci.

One ellipse has its theocentric focal point at the top; the other places the anthropocentric focus in that position.

The movement of the Incarnation assumes the theocentric focus at the top/beginning, as in the Prologue of John; and as in the opening words of the Great Doxology with which every Divine Liturgy begins: 

Glory to Him who has shown us the light:
Glory be to God on high, and on earth peace and goodwill among men.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:39:02 PM by J. Thomas Shelley »
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

cdmue

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
With regards to Bishop (aka "B and B") Behnke and his assertion of "everything coming up Wisconsin," we welcome that challenge this evening in the Orange Bowl, where the Badgers will play the local U of Miami Hurricanes, Should be a very good game..go 'Canes!  Dave Mueller, U of Miami, MS Ed, 1980

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »

Cheese, butter, beer - everything's coming up Wisconsin!

Dave Benke

Wrong order.  It always starts with beer! ;)
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2017, 11:18:01 AM »
Wisconsin has the reputation for good beer and brats.   Milwaukee was once the beer capital of the U.S.A.
and still produces enough Miller High Life to satisfy your thirst.  Johnsonville Brats come from the premier
sausage factory in American located in Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin.  Beer and Brats sum up the Wisconsin
experience for casual dining.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2017, 11:41:27 AM »
With regards to Bishop (aka "B and B") Behnke and his assertion of "everything coming up Wisconsin," we welcome that challenge this evening in the Orange Bowl, where the Badgers will play the local U of Miami Hurricanes, Should be a very good game..go 'Canes!  Dave Mueller, U of Miami, MS Ed, 1980

The Badgers O Line was termed “A rolling Tsunami of Cheddar” this morning- and the Cheese will stand alone at night’s end!

Dave Benke

readselerttoo

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2017, 12:13:23 PM »
To get back on track-

I find it interesting to look at the two messages side to side- the one from PB Eaton and the one from Bp. Bradosky.

I think that you can see  the difference between the two groups in their respective messages. I learned not a whole lot about Bp. Bradosky from his message. Bishop Eaton on the other hand, shared a great deal.

There is a time and a place for both styles of presenting the Gospel. And I certainly do not wish to disparage Bp. Eaton, about whom I continue to hear good things. But I think it says something about the the respective denominations that one's leader's message starts with Jesus and gets to us and the other's leadership starts with us and gets to Jesus.

Good insight. 

Eaton means well but I think a missional approach which begins with one's "story" and ends with Jesus  fails to set the groundwork, the basis for intent.  On the other hand Bradosky understand on what ground he has his feet planted.  He speaks from there.  It may be offensive to some but no one can doubt where Bradosky stands, imo.  The Gospel is offensive to some, btw.  Besides all this notice how St. Paul begins his speech in Athens ala Acts 17.