Author Topic: ELCA Seminaries Enrollment  (Read 2490 times)

mj4

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: ELCA Seminaries Enrollment
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
In the ELCA, we have the possibility of "farming out" or "merging" pastoral leadership and congregational mission with any of our full fellowship ecumenical partners. I know this has been done in many areas; and I do not know why it is not done in some other areas. A Lutheran and Episcopal parish two miles apart get it together. A Lutheran and Presbyterian Church in the same town share a pastor. There is the possibility of mergers, linking congregations together, other forms of close cooperation.
We need to do a lot more of that.
We in the Retired Pastor Brigade would rather help congregations do things like that than put Sunday-morning sermon band-aids on congregations with 30-40 people in the pews who know they are on life support or near to drawing their last breath.

The rest of us wish you would do this also.....and while you are at it drop the moniker of "Lutheran" in addition to your idea about "Evangelical." It might go a long way toward clearing up so much confusion in this old world.....

Lou

Having just read Bp. Rimbo's essay in another thread, your proposal strikes me as far too modest.

Are you suggesting that maybe the moniker "Church" is no longer appropriate either?

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:54 AM »
In the ELCA, we have the possibility of "farming out" or "merging" pastoral leadership and congregational mission with any of our full fellowship ecumenical partners. I know this has been done in many areas; and I do not know why it is not done in some other areas. A Lutheran and Episcopal parish two miles apart get it together. A Lutheran and Presbyterian Church in the same town share a pastor. There is the possibility of mergers, linking congregations together, other forms of close cooperation.
We in the Retired Pastor Brigade would rather help congregations do things like that than put Sunday-morning sermon band-aids on congregations with 30-40 people in the pews who know they are on life support or near to drawing their last breath.

The rest of us wish you would do this also.....and while you are at it drop the moniker of "Lutheran" in addition to your idea about "Evangelical." It might go a long way toward clearing up so much confusion in this old world.....

Lou

Having just read Bp. Rimbo's essay in another thread, your proposal strikes me as far too modest.

Are you suggesting that maybe the moniker "Church" is no longer appropriate either?

I'm suggesting that for some, that seems to be the case.  "It doesn't matter how, where, or whether you worship any god(s) so long as your politics are correct."

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »

Lou

On the ground and in and among the faithful, the progressive/regressive labels aren't for almost the whole part pertinent.  Given the relationships among ELCA, Presbyterian and other aligners, I think in the small to tiny category the merger/linkage that Charles suggests makes a lot of sense.  Small-town USA, wherever that might be, is in my opinion going to be ripe for many of these new relationships in utilizing pastoral service and leadership. 

Among the less ecumenically connected, the LCMS being one example, the options are more toward linking area birds of the same feather together.  What gets lost then is the neighborhood/community sense, because we're connecting East Plumtown with Plumtown Falls ("other side of the tracks"), or East Plumtown with West Orange, which is 20 miles away.   

Whereas in East Plumtown, New Jersey, if three relatively Mainline Protestant congregations consorted to have two locations and sell the third and hit the streets, they could make a better difference for the Gospel right where they have always been.  The question I hear being asked is whether they have the Gospel at all.  I'd say on the ground rather than at headquarters, the answer is Yes.

For me the best Missouri option is to recruit existing pastors and congregations from among the reachable Protestants, and make them Missouri Synod Lutheran pastors and churches through training/discipling/colloquy.  This could actually be accomplished; I know, because I've been there and done that.

Dave Benke

Mark Brown

• Pastor, St. Mark Lutheran, West Henrietta, NY
    • View Profile
    • Saint Mark's Website
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »

...Convention memorials - tricky and church-politically dominated; for instance, I can guarantee you now that there will be an orchestrated spate of overtures to call for the cessation of women reading lessons at worship services addressed to the floor committee on theology.  And therefore there will be an orchestrated response spate of overtures on the other side.  And there will end up being a resolution calling for study of the issue.  Given the way things are, I think that resolution will implore congregations not to utilize women in the reading of lessons while the study is taking place. 

So there's a very, very subsidiary issue that serves no purpose but to energize the Far Edge being given direction by a national convention...

Dave Benke

When the best example of doing what you want to do (evidently restoring the patriarchy) is the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Islamic Revolution in Iran, maybe people should recheck their theology.  Complete idiocy.  And that is from a guy not fearful of a little patriarchy.  Does Harrison or any such candidate really need to stir up that type of resolution to ensure electoral victory?  For that matter does the other side always have to respond like enraged safe spacers to a Donald Trump tweet?

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2017, 12:54:19 PM »

...Convention memorials - tricky and church-politically dominated; for instance, I can guarantee you now that there will be an orchestrated spate of overtures to call for the cessation of women reading lessons at worship services addressed to the floor committee on theology.  And therefore there will be an orchestrated response spate of overtures on the other side.  And there will end up being a resolution calling for study of the issue.  Given the way things are, I think that resolution will implore congregations not to utilize women in the reading of lessons while the study is taking place. 

So there's a very, very subsidiary issue that serves no purpose but to energize the Far Edge being given direction by a national convention...

Dave Benke

When the best example of doing what you want to do (evidently restoring the patriarchy) is the Taliban in Afghanistan and the Islamic Revolution in Iran, maybe people should recheck their theology.  Complete idiocy.  And that is from a guy not fearful of a little patriarchy.  Does Harrison or any such candidate really need to stir up that type of resolution to ensure electoral victory?  For that matter does the other side always have to respond like enraged safe spacers to a Donald Trump tweet?

Yes, well, that's just our little system at work.  My own push toward the Koinonia Process was partly to parry the super-charged overture-parsers.  In other words, we're all about the fine print.  And the eventual bylaw. 

I remain unconvinced that the Presidential Direct Oversight of All Accuser Concerns At the Expense of the Accused and the District President, as now imbedded in our bylaws, was anything other than a sop to the Often Bruised Accusers, who wanted the opportunity to accuse until long after the cows came home, wearing down anybody who (eventually) might allow a woman to read the Psalmody, or print that in the bulletin, or post it on Facebook.  The young woman who read the Epistle lesson yesterday in Spanish at my place was so much better than yours truly that people actually applauded, which is good for the Gaudete Epistle on rejoicing always.  But now the bylaw would (eventually) allow the accuser to whip that process past the DP so that the Synod President would intervene against the girl, who would go "Que pasa?" and head for the exit.

Dave Benke

"Enraged safe-spacers" - that's good. 

Dave Benke