Author Topic: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary Lutheran Witness  (Read 1536 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary Lutheran Witness
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:38:28 PM »
Just in time for the third Sunday in Advent, we received our December Lutheran Witness in New York.  The title article is "Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary" penned by "our own" Will Weedon.  I found it stimulating and balanced, helpful in very many ways not only to Missouri Synod readers, but to wider Protestant audiences.  Both semper virgo and the assumption of Mary are dealt with through the course of history and belief in what I found to be an evangelical way.  I'd give a link but don't find the article link-able.

Somewhere (maybe First Things?) there's a recent article on the theological reasons for the doctrine of the Assumption and its other connective tissue that gave evidence through the history of the Church catholic beyond the usual Protestant bromide that in the 19th century a Roman Catholic hierarchy on the defensive buttressed its doctrines to fend off any possible change.  It, too, was helpful to me.   Maybe others have input on where that theology is articulated.

Anyway, my only critique was that when I saw the title I was thinking the article would be an exposition about the revolutionary poem of Mary, the Magnificat.  "The rich he has sent empty away," all a Marian riff on the Song of Hannah in I Samuel.  That these highly provocative poems were spoken by women and ascribed to women is to me an evidence of the high regard found in Scripture for a fierce and creative (yes, prophetic) voice that belongs to women.  There's a song modeled on the Magnificat called "The Canticle of the Turning," and when I can find a girl/young woman with rapping skills we put that song to rap rhythms (it's really set to an Irish melody and beat):

My soul cries out with a joyful shout
that the God of my heart is great,
And my spirit sings of the wondrous things
that you bring to the one who waits.
You fixed your sight on the servant's plight,
and my weakness you did not spurn,
So from east to west shall my name be blest.
Could the world be about to turn?

Refrain:
My heart shall sing of the day you bring.
Let the fires of your justice burn.
Wipe away all tears,
For the dawn draws near,
And the world is about to turn.

Though I am small, my God, my all,
you work great things in me.
And your mercy will last from the depths of the past
to the end of the age to be.
Your very name puts the proud to shame,
and those who would for you yearn,
You will show your might, put the strong to flight,
for the world is about to turn.

Refrain

From the halls of power to the fortress tower,
not a stone will be left on stone.
Let the king beware for your justice tears
every tyrant from his throne.
The hungry poor shall weep no more,
for the food they can never earn;
These are tables spread, ev'ry mouth be fed,
for the world is about to turn.

Refrain

Though the nations rage from age to age,
we remember who holds us fast:
God's mercy must deliver us
from the conqueror's crushing grasp.
This saving word that our forbears heard
is the promise that holds us bound,
'Til the spear and rod be crushed by God,
who is turning the world around.

Refrain

Thanks, Will, for the article and the Synod's overt desire to find a special place among Lutheran for the Mother of God.

Dave Benke

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
Re: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary Lutheran Witness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 07:10:17 PM »
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:02:19 PM »
Can we access the article, Pastor Benke?  Or... with permission, Pastor Weedon?  Like the editor, I, too, love Mary and this edition seems excellent!

Weedon

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »
Bishop, thank you for the kind remarks.

Eileen, here you go, a link to the main article, but not to the sidebar that dealt with PV, IC and Assumption.

https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/mary-mary-quite-contrary
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:34:11 AM by Weedon »

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 12:22:08 PM »
On your comments about there not being a "St. Mary Lutheran Church" an alternative (and admittedly snarky) version would be "Our Lady of the Reformation Lutheran Church".   But people may think that refers to Martin Luther's wife instead of the Virgin Mary!
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »
On your comments about there not being a "St. Mary Lutheran Church" an alternative (and admittedly snarky) version would be "Our Lady of the Reformation Lutheran Church".   But people may think that refers to Martin Luther's wife instead of the Virgin Mary!

;D
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 12:49:15 PM »
back in the day, for me the 1970s when first out of the Sem... there was at least one and perhaps two parishes with St. Mary as their name listed in the Lutheran Annual... is my memory, my aah...   assumption.. of course someone could look that up perhaps and find that either to be true or a figment of my slowing down memory...
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

mj4

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 01:48:01 PM »
Speaking of Mary, RC Bishop Robert Barron, now of Los Angeles, takes a wider view of Mary in the cosmos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B72DPp7WcY

Mike in Pennsylvania

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
My first parish was Maria Lutheran Church, Dagus Mines, Pa.  This was a former Augustana (Swedish) parish.  As I recall, there was another Maria Church in Nebraska.
NALC Interim Pastor

Timothy Schenks

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Soli Deo gloria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:35:14 PM »
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:52:05 PM by Timothy Schenks »
LCMS Layman

cdmue

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
I recall that the Stadtkirche in Wittenberg is named St Mary Church  Dave Mueller

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 02:44:42 PM »
I recall that the Stadtkirche in Wittenberg is named St Mary Church  Dave Mueller

Correct.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
back in the day, for me the 1970s when first out of the Sem... there was at least one and perhaps two parishes with St. Mary as their name listed in the Lutheran Annual... is my memory, my aah...   assumption.. of course someone could look that up perhaps and find that either to be true or a figment of my slowing down memory...

There was an attempt to establish a St. Mary congregation in the Sacramento area some years ago; it started meeting in a funeral home, at some point took over a church building from a congregation that had closed, and then a few years later gave up the ghost itself.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »
There's at least two St. Mary Lutheran Churches in the ELCA. One is at Kenosha, WI. A good friend from seminary was and is again a member of that congregation. I also found in one Silver River, MD.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
Nice. These are the Christmas cards I ordered this year:

https://i0.wp.com/emmanuelpress.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Magnificat-600px1.jpg

Emmanuel Press

This is quite nice.  Thanks for the link.

Fits well with the stained glass in many Lutheran churches.  Jesus and Co. hail from somewhere near Munich.  Amazing how that little blonde baby in the card made things work in 1st century Palestine. 
I explain our Brooklyn stained glass once a year.  All the kids Jesus is gathering in the "Let the Little Children Come Unto Me" window have blonde hair except one, whose hair is red.  The only non-Teutonic figure is one of the Magi, who is a curly-haired African with an earring. 

Anyway, the point I try to make is that every group will create images of Jesus that allow children, moms and dads to see themselves as part of the picture. Jesus loves ME/US.  As long as the next step is not Jesus loves ME/US and NOT YOU.

Dave Benke