Author Topic: LIRS Audit  (Read 1045 times)

jebutler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
LIRS Audit
« on: November 12, 2017, 01:36:14 PM »
I am no fan of Breitbart. However, a member forwarded this link to me and asked about it. I don't know anything about LIRS or its internal workings. Any comments?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/11/11/source-claims-financial-mismanagement-fraud-harassment-lutheran-immigration-refugee-service-spark-external-investigation/
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
Re: LIRS Audit
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:29:39 PM »
I am annoyed at the LIaRS "bitch." As someone who has worked with another VOLAG (USCCB/Catholic Charities) I know the work done and the people doing it. No one. calls them anything but LIRS.

It sounds like the outsiders are in fact key stakeholders who should open the books since the first word in the name is Lutheran. This looks like a failure at the C level that folks are attempting to address. I wish them well.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:24:46 PM by Matt Hummel »
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
I am annoyed at the LIaRS bitch.

What in the world does this mean? 

Dave Benke

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:02:46 PM »

Dave Benke

It's LIRS. Everyone in that line of work knows that. Using an acronym no one uses as a means to make a "point." It's a bitch move.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »

Dave Benke

It's LIRS. Everyone in that line of work knows that. Using an acronym no one uses as a means to make a "point." It's a bitch move.

OK, I get it .

As it happens, I was recently the CEO of an agency, Lutheran Social Services of New York, that ran and runs a wonderful program for unaccompanied minors through LIRS. 

As it also happens, my wife is one of the LCMS members of the LIRS board, referenced in the article, which article, from the knowledge I have, is skewed purposefully in an unhelpful direction.

Dave Benke

foolishpride

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »
Good thing no one said LIaRS lady

mj4

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:02:31 PM »
I'm not sure how LIRS could be any more forthcoming about their finances, http://lirs.org/our-work/about-us/financial-information/.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »

Dave Benke

You might want to edit your initial post in this thread.  On first reading, it's not entirely clear that you're using "bitch" to mean "complaint" and not to refer to a person.

jebutler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »

Dave Benke

OK, I get it .

As it happens, I was recently the CEO of an agency, Lutheran Social Services of New York, that ran and runs a wonderful program for unaccompanied minors through LIRS. 

As it also happens, my wife is one of the LCMS members of the LIRS board, referenced in the article, which article, from the knowledge I have, is skewed purposefully in an unhelpful direction.

Dave Benke

I thought it might be skewed in an unhelpful direction which is why I thought to ask! Any correction you can give would be appreciated.
These are things that we can discuss among learned and reasonable people, or even among ourselves. (Luther, SA III, paraphrased).

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

Dave Benke

OK, I get it .

Dave Benke

I thought it might be skewed in an unhelpful direction which is why I thought to ask! Any correction you can give would be appreciated.

Sure - I can't give you insider stuff from the Board, because I'm not on the inside of the LIRS Board.  Who I know is Linda Hartke, in many settings, including chairing Missouri Synod floor committees where she interacted with us, journeying to DC with others to go to congress members and senators on behalf of LIRS, and then running an effective program of resettlement with a Lutheran agency.  All of those were highly productive, highly positive experiences.

Dave Benke

Rob Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »

Dave Benke

You might want to edit your initial post in this thread.  On first reading, it's not entirely clear that you're using "bitch" to mean "complaint" and not to refer to a person.

Putting the 8th commandment to use, I had assumed Mr. Hummel was providing pet care to the LIRS office dog, who was proving to be rather a frustrating companion. And, of course, putting the 8th commandment to use again, I wouldn't blame the dog either, given that she was outside of her normal home and routine and is probably quite lovable if ensconced in her own milieu.

Mike Bennett

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
I am no fan of Breitbart. However, a member forwarded this link to me and asked about it. I don't know anything about LIRS or its internal workings. Any comments?

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/11/11/source-claims-financial-mismanagement-fraud-harassment-lutheran-immigration-refugee-service-spark-external-investigation/

From the Breitbart piece it appears that the system LIRS had set up for reporting of concerns was working exactly as designed, before the leak.  The Board and Audit Committee Chairs had been informed, competent professional outside counsel had been appointed to conduct an independent investigation, the LIRS workforce had been advised and urged to give their complete cooperation to the investigators.  Why it was "necessary" to leak it to Breitbart is a mystery to me.  Experience as a public company CFO and my present service as Board Member and Audit Committee Chair of a significant not-for-profit tells me the matter is already in more capable hands than Breitbart's.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:55:01 PM by Mike Bennett »
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »

From the Breitbart piece it appears that the system LIRS had set up for reporting of concerns was working exactly as designed, before the leak.  The Board and Audit Committee Chairs, had been informed, competent professional outside counsel had been appointed to conduct an independent investigation, the LIRS workforce had been advised and urged to give their complete cooperation to the investigators.  Why it was "necessary" to leak it to Breitbart is a mystery to me.  Experience as a public company CFO and my present service as Board Member and Audit Committee Chair of a significant not-for-profit tells me the matter is already in more capable hands than Breitbart's.

It may take only one disgruntled person to suggest that there are improprieties for a news story to be created. A few months back FBI agents showed up at the church where our Yuma Refugee Ministries have temporarily housed refugees. Someone believed we were doing something illegal - and had the FBI come to investigate. What the "someone" didn't know is that we are working with ICE and the Border Patrol. They bring the refugees to us so that they don't have to find temporary housing as they wait transportation to family members. No matter how often we try and inform people of the legalities of what we are doing - these people are given papers by government agencies so that they are document and traveling legally in the U.S., there are some people who oppose their presence in our country and oppose anyone who might be helping them be here.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »

From the Breitbart piece it appears that the system LIRS had set up for reporting of concerns was working exactly as designed, before the leak.  The Board and Audit Committee Chairs, had been informed, competent professional outside counsel had been appointed to conduct an independent investigation, the LIRS workforce had been advised and urged to give their complete cooperation to the investigators.  Why it was "necessary" to leak it to Breitbart is a mystery to me.  Experience as a public company CFO and my present service as Board Member and Audit Committee Chair of a significant not-for-profit tells me the matter is already in more capable hands than Breitbart's.

It is not possible for me to be more in agreement with you, Mike.  Nail on head.

Dave Benke