Poll

How are you observing November 26th in your congregation?

Christ the King
16 (72.7%)
Last Sunday of the Church Year
6 (27.3%)
Advent I
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: November 26: Christ the King? Last Sunday? Advent?  (Read 2019 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: November 26: Christ the King? Last Sunday? Advent?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »
James Gale, thank you for the reference which I may have been recalling but is there any such canon or practice that a communicant should not commune more than once during a day.... I have had Lutherans say that, "Oh I have been to communion already toda, this morning, not going during the Reformation service now this afternoon..."?

Which of course, does not speak to the gifts of communion apart from forgiveness and to the latter the fact that even a few hours may have resulted in a few assorted sins... duh....

The RC rules are quite arcane.  My understanding is that a layperson can commune a second time, provided it is in the context of a mass.  So, for example, one could receive communion at 2 separate masses, or receive first outside the context of mass (e.g., in a hospital room with a relative who is ill), followed by reception at mass later in the day.  The reverse sequence would not be permissible.  And, absent danger of death, receiving 3 times in a day is "right out".

Peace,
Jon

This seems to bear that out:  https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/communion_times.htm

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 05:35:05 PM »
thanks Eileen and one has to remember that some of my memory as a pastor does predate 1983, so I must be recalling the earlier prohibition.  Thanks.  Sometimes I have too long  memory.
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »
I see no need to move things around. That said, we have used the 4th Sunday in Advent as an adapted Service of Lessons and Carols for Advent.

And as much as I miss a Christmas Day service, our council desires a Christmas Eve only service, so that folks can travel to relatives, etc. the next day.  ::)  So, my wife and I use the opportunity to attend the Christmas Day service elsewhere and, that afternoon, start a fire in the fireplace and kick back and listen to Praetorius' "Mass for Christmas Morning," dreaming about how wonderful it would be to participate in such a service.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=3879

Then, that evening after a prime rib dinner, we again kick back and watch that Christmas classic movie, "Die Hard."

Should a Christmas Day service be a council decision?

Yes. Particularly since they've already had a Christmas "Day" service on Christmas Eve I'm not going to raise a major objection.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »
I see no need to move things around. That said, we have used the 4th Sunday in Advent as an adapted Service of Lessons and Carols for Advent.

And as much as I miss a Christmas Day service, our council desires a Christmas Eve only service, so that folks can travel to relatives, etc. the next day.  ::)  So, my wife and I use the opportunity to attend the Christmas Day service elsewhere and, that afternoon, start a fire in the fireplace and kick back and listen to Praetorius' "Mass for Christmas Morning," dreaming about how wonderful it would be to participate in such a service.

Then, that evening after a prime rib dinner, we again kick back and watch that Christmas classic movie, "Die Hard."

Yes. Particularly since they've already had a Christmas "Day" service on Christmas Eve I'm not going to raise a major objection.

When I came to this Call, I announced to the council (and congregation) that there would be a Christmas Day service in addition to the Christmas Eve services. If necessary, I would do the setup and cleanup. (I've never had to do that.) I take care of the music (which I also do on Christmas Eve.) It also gives another opportunity to sing the Christmas hymns that I mostly avoid throughout the Advent Season.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »

When I came to this Call, I announced to the council (and congregation) that there would be a Christmas Day service in addition to the Christmas Eve services. If necessary, I would do the setup and cleanup. (I've never had to do that.) I take care of the music (which I also do on Christmas Eve.) It also gives another opportunity to sing the Christmas hymns that I mostly avoid throughout the Advent Season.

That's wonderful, Brian! I did the same thing with the Easter Vigil. I suggested it, explained it, and a few were interested. We tried it, word spread, and the attendance has increased every year, with others travelling from nearly 50 miles away for the Vigil. This is even though we have a 7 am Easter Sunrise service less than 12 hours later. And the Lord's Supper at both.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 07:58:49 AM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 08:26:53 AM »
From the poll it appears that no one here takes the authority to shift the Church Year by moving Advent One.     >:( ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 09:16:09 AM »
Ah, it was not my imagination. In the 1960 Rubrics of the Roman Mass, under vigils (which are defined as the liturgical day prior to a feast), the Vigil of the Nativity replaces the 4th Sunday in Advent (see par. 31). Now whether this practice predated 1960, Iím not sure. More to research.

Isn't the Easter Vigil Saturday morning in those rubrics?

spt+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 09:18:50 AM »
Ah, it was not my imagination. In the 1960 Rubrics of the Roman Mass, under vigils (which are defined as the liturgical day prior to a feast), the Vigil of the Nativity replaces the 4th Sunday in Advent (see par. 31). Now whether this practice predated 1960, Iím not sure. More to research.

Isn't the Easter Vigil Saturday morning in those rubrics?

spt+

I think it would be (prior to 1951) although it might not have been titled a "Vigil."

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »

Sounds good to me.  At my parents for the last few years we have watched the other holiday classic "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles." :)
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

gan ainm

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
A Christmas Story (1983) is classic.  However, I guess leg lamps and BB guns are currently too much of a threat to our intolerant culture.   ;)

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »

That's wonderful, Brian! I did the same thing with the Easter Vigil. I suggested it, explained it, and a few were interested. We tried it, word spread, and the attendance has increased every year, with others travelling from nearly 50 miles away for the Vigil. This is even though we have a 7 am Easter Sunrise service less than 12 hours later. And the Lord's Supper at both.  ;)

I did the same with an Easter Vigil - which meant leading services (and playing music) on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter morning - and some years I extended the Wednesday Lenten services to include Wednesday in Holy Week. Unfortunately, I never had more than a dozen people for the Vigil - and the numbers kept decreasing. With an aging congregation, many people do not like going out at night - and the vigil works best when it is dark out. I also decided to discontinue that service.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Jonathan Priest

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:16 AM »
Sunday morning, Advent IV.
Sunday evening, Eve of the Nativity.
Monday, Christmas.

The only significant transfer taking place at my congregation is that we will move the location of the organist to the piano and use DSIV from LSB. I told my organist if she was worried about fatigue (she is a Lutheran school teacher close to retirement) that she could take Sunday morning off and I'd lead liturgy and hymns on the guitar. Our board of deacons discussed the option of not having services on Sunday morning, but we were in consensus that to go against the local church's good and pious habit was detrimental to the encouragement of faith and individual conscience.

Jonathan