Author Topic: Sources for CPH 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer  (Read 691 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Sources for CPH 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer
« on: November 06, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
We're doing an advent midweek series on condition, repentance, and confession, and I'm thinking of using the Brief Instruction on Confession and Absolution from p.89 of the latest printing. It doesn't list an author or source, and googling it takes you to Luther's 1529 exhortation to confession, which is something totally different. Anyone able to help me out?

Weedon

Re: Sources for CPH 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Pete, does it begin: “My dear Christian, when you go to confession, do not be content...” as on p. 1458 in Treasury? I note that that one is not attributed, but it sounds an awful lot like Loehe.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:19:54 PM »
That's how it begins. My treasury is at church, but is it attributed to Loehe in that?

NGB

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
I believe it was written by Pastor Th. Brohm (1808–1881), who  also wrote the Brief Instruction on Holy Communion.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
I believe it was written by Pastor Th. Brohm (1808–1881), who  also wrote the Brief Instruction on Holy Communion.
It's a great couple of pages, but I'm not keen on using it unless I know who wrote it and in what context. I notice there is no attribution in the Treasury, either. If it is by Brohm, why didn't they just list him as the author? And can you recommend a Brohm book to me so I can check out his other writings?

NGB

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
As far as I have been able to determine, Pr. Brohm wrote both the "Brief Instruction on Confession and Absolution" and "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" for the LCMS' 1869 Kleine Gebetz-schatz. The Kleine Gebetz-schatz didn't include any attributions, and neither did its English translation—the 1906 Abridged Treasury of Prayers. The 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer included several pieces from the Abridged Treasury of Prayers (slightly altered/modernized, of course)—the "Brief Instruction on Confession and Absolution" and "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" among them.

I found all this out when trying to track down the author of the "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" a few years ago. Brohm is credited as the author of those two pieces in an article in Der Lutheraner (DL, Vol. 37, No. 3 [Feb. 1, 1881], p. 21). I'm guessing the editors of the 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer and Treasury of Daily Prayer were unable to discover the author of those two pieces. If Vol. 37 of DL hadn't been digitized and OCR-ed by Google, I wouldn't have figured it out either.

Matthew Harrison translated an essay by Brohm and had it published in 2006: Mercy and the Lutheran congregation : a translation of the essay, "Intentional care of the poor and the sick is essential for the well-being of a Christian congregation". I don't know of anything else he wrote that's been translated into English.

NGB

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
If Brohm's orthodoxy is what concerns you, you may be comforted to learn that he was one of the original professors at CSL. CHI has posted a brief biography of him online here: http://www.lutheranhistory.org/collections/fa/m-0030.htm

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:16 AM »
As far as I have been able to determine, Pr. Brohm wrote both the "Brief Instruction on Confession and Absolution" and "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" for the LCMS' 1869 Kleine Gebetz-schatz. The Kleine Gebetz-schatz didn't include any attributions, and neither did its English translation—the 1906 Abridged Treasury of Prayers. The 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer included several pieces from the Abridged Treasury of Prayers (slightly altered/modernized, of course)—the "Brief Instruction on Confession and Absolution" and "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" among them.

I found all this out when trying to track down the author of the "Brief Instruction on Holy Communion" a few years ago. Brohm is credited as the author of those two pieces in an article in Der Lutheraner (DL, Vol. 37, No. 3 [Feb. 1, 1881], p. 21). I'm guessing the editors of the 2005 Lutheran Book of Prayer and Treasury of Daily Prayer were unable to discover the author of those two pieces. If Vol. 37 of DL hadn't been digitized and OCR-ed by Google, I wouldn't have figured it out either.

Matthew Harrison translated an essay by Brohm and had it published in 2006: Mercy and the Lutheran congregation : a translation of the essay, "Intentional care of the poor and the sick is essential for the well-being of a Christian congregation". I don't know of anything else he wrote that's been translated into English.
Thanks for this. I like how this forum just saved me a ton of effort, because I have a feeling it would have taken me a while to stumble across the 1881 Der Lutheraner just doing online searches.

You obviously have done a lot of research into it. CPH ought to include your findings in future printings of both the Prayer Book and Treasury of Daily Prayer.

mj4

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »

The referenced text from Der Lutheraner (DL, Vol. 37, No. 3 [Feb. 1, 1881], p. 21  in a modern font:

Aus Zeitmangel sind wir, leider! nicht im Stande gewesen, das Gesangbuch genau zu prüfen; wir können vorläufig nur so viel versichern, daß wir die meisten Lie der unseres missourischen Gesangbuches in demselben wiedergefunden haben. Unter den Anhängen finden wir auch die zwei von P. Brohm sen. ausgearbeiteten, in unserm „kleinen Gebetsschatz" befindlichen vortreff lichen Stücke : „Kurzer Unterricht von der Beichte und Absolution" (S. 47—62) und „kurzer Unterricht vom heiligen Abendmahl" (S. 62—69). Zu den An hängen gehören auch die drei Hauptsymbole und die Augsburgische Confession.

This is an excerpt from an article discussing a new hymnal (1880) for the Ev. Lutheran Church of the unaltered Augsburg Confession in the Kingdom of Poland. According to the article, "Writings of our synod have been there for some time among the Lutheran pastors..."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:32:14 PM by mj4 »