Author Topic: If Lutheran and RCC Are So Close, Who Moved?  (Read 4734 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: If Lutheran and RCC Are So Close, Who Moved?
« Reply #90 on: October 26, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
The interview of Bp. Eaton gives insight in answering the topic question of who moved.

http://issuesetc.org/2017/10/23/2962-the-500th-anniversary-of-the-reformation-bishop-elizabeth-eaton-102317/

The listener comments and interview analysis is even more insightful. 

http://issuesetc.org/2017/10/24/2971-open-lines-reaction-to-bishop-elizabeth-eatons-comments-on-the-500th-anniversary-of-the-reformation-part-1-102417/

Thanks for posting this, I just listened to it this morning. It's worth a listen, even if you're not a fan of Issues, Etc. (which is a fairly conservative LCMS program). Kudos both to Todd Wilken for inviting Bp. Eaton to be interviewed, and to Bp. Eaton for agreeing. Both were gracious and respectful. The unfortunate thing is that the limited time with the bishop meant that Pr. Wilken could not really enter into debate or discussion with her, so he lobbed the questions, she answered, and then the next day he (and his listeners) critiqued her--mostly fairly, I think, from an LCMS point of view.

Pr. Wilken spoke appreciatively of her willingness to answer his questions and actually say something (in contrast to her predecessor, who, he quipped, could speak for 20 minutes straight and never actually say anything). Of course he disagreed with a good bit of what she said--although in some instances he (graciously) said he thought she was saying pretty much the right thing, although the vocabulary is different. (This, seems to me, is often a problem in ELCA/LCMS conversations.)

I thought the bishop whiffed a couple of questions. When asked if the 16th century Reformers would have approved of ordination of women or same sex marriage, she essentially said "who knows?"--which might be a defensible answer if she had gone on to argue that they might have approved of one or the other of those things had they been living in our time and applied their theological principles in a new cultural situation. (I'm not arguing for that, just saying one might make the argument.)

The other whiff was on the final question: Does the ELCA subscribe to the Book of Concord? The bishop tried to argue yes by saying that pastors at ordination promise to teach and preach in accordance with Scripture and the confessions--which, of course, is not the same as "subscribing." She also failed to make the distinction in the ELCA constitution between the Augsburg Confession and the rest of the confessions. That would perhaps be too complicated for a brief answer, but it seems to me that her answer as she framed it wasn't really quite correct. Or maybe this is another example, at least in part, of the difference between our vocabularies.

The interview of Elizabeth Eaton by Issues, Etc. interested me.  To the best of my knowledge, the church leader who was never invited to speak on Issues Etc while he was a church leader was Jerry Kieschnick, who at the time was the President of the Missouri Synod and deemed to be unable to communicate to or with the "fairly conservative" Issues folks.  Eventually in those former times, this led to Issues Etc. which was under the auspices of the Missouri Synod, being shown the gate, during Holy Week.  Very un-comfy times, those. 

Has a corner been turned?

Dave Benke

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 26, 2017, 09:28:39 AM »
The interview of Elizabeth Eaton by Issues, Etc. interested me.  To the best of my knowledge, the church leader who was never invited to speak on Issues Etc while he was a church leader was Jerry Kieschnick, who at the time was the President of the Missouri Synod and deemed to be unable to communicate to or with the "fairly conservative" Issues folks.  Eventually in those former times, this led to Issues Etc. which was under the auspices of the Missouri Synod, being shown the gate, during Holy Week.  Very un-comfy times, those. 

Dave Benke
And if so, "who moved?"  :)

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2017, 10:16:12 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the church leader who was never invited to speak on Issues Etc while he was a church leader was Jerry Kieschnick, who at the time was the President of the Missouri Synod and deemed to be unable to communicate to or with the "fairly conservative" Issues folks.  Eventually in those former times, this led to Issues Etc. which was under the auspices of the Missouri Synod, being shown the gate, during Holy Week.

Yes. Jerry Kieschnick is no longer President of the LCMS, and Todd Wiken, et al have returned to KFUO with their excellent program. It does not surprise me at all that Bishop Eaton was his guest.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

gan ainm

« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, the church leader who was never invited to speak on Issues Etc while he was a church leader was Jerry Kieschnick, who at the time was the President of the Missouri Synod and deemed to be unable to communicate to or with the "fairly conservative" Issues folks.  Eventually in those former times, this led to Issues Etc. which was under the auspices of the Missouri Synod, being shown the gate, during Holy Week.

Yes. Jerry Kieschnick is no longer President of the LCMS, and Todd Wiken, et al have returned to KFUO with their excellent program. It does not surprise me at all that Bishop Eaton was his guest.

If memory serves me correctly, Issues Etc. even interviewed Bp John Shelby Spong a couple of years ago - Spong's version of "Christianity" made Bp Eaton seem to be the bastion of  conservatism.   ;)