Author Topic: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.  (Read 4443 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2017, 05:56:35 PM »
The pastors and the people of the meadowlands cluster Lutheran churches in New Jersey will gather this evening for a festival reformation Eucharist.  Last Sunday there was a choral vespers  in Teaneck involving Lutheran and Roman Catholic churches as the reformation observance.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2017, 09:44:53 AM »
Last night I was at a Reformation Commemoration Dinner sponsored by Cardinal Dolan and the bishop of the Metro NY Synod, Robert Rimbo.  It was a small group of 50 clergy (mostly).  Many Catholic, Orthodox and protestant bishops.  William Rusch, former ecumenical officer of the ELCA, introduced the keynote speaker, Archbishop Donald Bolen of Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.  Bolen spoke from a depth of experience at the Vatican and profound commitment to Christian unity.  I talked to him at length during the reception beforehand.  He is remarkably unassuming, soft spoken, and gentle but very knowledgeable and competent.  All in all, a very good event.  Cardinal Dolan was absent because he was attending to victims of yesterday's tragedy in NYC.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

randallb

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2017, 03:49:30 PM »
Hi John.
Archbishop Bolen is the former bishop here in Saskatoon, now  serving down  Highway 11 in  Regina. He spoke at our joint commemoration on Sunday afternoon at the local Cathedral. He is a gift to ecumenism and a genuine and gentle  pastor.  Deeply respected and admired in this province.  I was privileged to be the crucifer for our event.  Busy man! I"m not surprised!  Small world!

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Bill Rusch - great choice there, a true churchly representative.  Thanks for being there, John!

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
So we had an interesting Halloween meal and worship last night in Queens, with about ten congregations present and participating in what was billed as an authentic meal such as Martin Luther would have enjoyed.  No potatoes, since they hadn't yet been invented by Europeans at Luther's time.  Beer, though, from Deutschland.  And stuffed cornish hen, sauerbraten, roast pork, red cabbage, sauerkraut, beets, carrots, peas, spaetzele - all served family style as around Luther's table.   The "hard" part was that the Divine Service followed this feast, at 8 in the evening.  Tremendous multi-cultural Lutheran group of worshipers from about fifteen countries of origin, all singing hymns written by Martin Luther himself and enjoying the Feast of Victory.  Well done in all regards, with the celebrant former President of the Lutheran Church of Guyana and now LCMS Pastor James Gajadhar.

Dave Benke

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2017, 02:57:01 PM »
I was only able to attend Reformation Day observance at my nearby church. Missed out on some great gatherings here in the Twin Cities.  But, through Youtube, I am able to see some of what I missed.  Here is an observance from Wittenberg that I found particularly interesting  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPN7JC0HT5Y&t=1367s
Norman Teigen

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2017, 07:27:48 PM »
In the November 2017 Forum Letter, the Editor Pastor Richard Johnson shares his presentation
as a panelist at the September commemoration of the Reformation at Concordia University, Bronxville.

According to Pastor Johnson, "In 1945 the ALPB published the tract "The Split between Roman Catholicism
and Christ."  "It was reprinted numerous times before the ALPB stopped publishing it."

During my college freshman year in 1959-60 at Concordia Jr. College, Milwaukee,  I had a class on Christian
Doctrine with Professor Ewald Plass. He encouraged us to buy the above mentioned tract at a Wisconsin Synod
Book Store in Milwaukee.  On the back of the 24 page pamphlet was printed, "Lutheran Press, 2112 Broadway,
New York, NY  16th Printing.  It included the 1950 Assumption of the Virgin Mary

Bottom Line:  Professor Ewald Plass was a noted Luther Scholar at that time.  In 1948 , his Luther biography
"This Is Luther" was released .  His most important publication was the 3 volume anthology "What Luther Says" in 1959.
He was  a great theologian who had a passion for preparing future pastors.  He taught his students with a heart devoted
to Christ.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:29:34 PM by Dave Likeness »

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2017, 09:52:35 PM »
For a very brief summary of my Refo 500 tour in Germany, go to:

http://matthewlbecker.blogspot.com/2017/11/all-luther-ed-out.html

Matt Becker