Author Topic: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.  (Read 5031 times)

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
I look forward to hearing Bishop Eaton preach in Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon.  Anybody  know a Lutheran Church in Minneapolis or the western suburbs that will have a swingin’ reformation service on Sunday morning?

Sunday afternoon (4pm)  there is a huge service planned at Concordia University in St Paul with LCMS President Matthew Harrison preaching.  It might be interesting to compare/contrast these two services.

Jeremy Loesch

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2017, 10:21:08 AM »
I look forward to hearing Bishop Eaton preach in Minneapolis on Saturday afternoon.  Anybody  know a Lutheran Church in Minneapolis or the western suburbs that will have a swingin’ reformation service on Sunday morning?

Sunday afternoon (4pm)  there is a huge service planned at Concordia University in St Paul with LCMS President Matthew Harrison preaching.  It might be interesting to compare/contrast these two services.

It would be interesting to hear the similarities and contrasts. I heard Bp. Eaton on Issues, Etc and was impressed, given that she knew it was an LCMS pastor doing the interview with a predominantly LCMS listening audience. Todd did a fine job letting her talk and answer the questions. She's certainly a better communicator than Bp. Hanson. But I was disappointed with her answer when trying to talk about Christ Alone. So I would like to hear from folks who attend either or both of these events.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »

It would be interesting to hear the similarities and contrasts. I heard Bp. Eaton on Issues, Etc and was impressed, given that she knew it was an LCMS pastor doing the interview with a predominantly LCMS listening audience. Todd did a fine job letting her talk and answer the questions. She's certainly a better communicator than Bp. Hanson. But I was disappointed with her answer when trying to talk about Christ Alone. So I would like to hear from folks who attend either or both of these events.

Jeremy

I see that the ELCA service with Ms. Eaton will be broadcast live -- http://centralmpls.sermon.net/main/main/20594165

It doesn't look like the LCMS service will be livestreamed :(

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »

Jeremy

I see that the ELCA service with Ms. Eaton will be broadcast live -- http://centralmpls.sermon.net/main/main/20594165

It doesn't look like the LCMS service will be livestreamed :(

This is not meant, in any way, to sound disrespectful of your comment, but may I point out that Ms. Eaton is actually Bishop or Presiding Bishop Eaton.  I realize that publications such as The New York Times would use Mr. or Ms. for clergy, but as this is a board of faithful Lutherans, Orthodox, Roman Catholics (and perhaps others), perhaps we could grant that respect.  There have been many efforts - such good efforts - not to hold this special day as one of Lutheran triumphalism, but to look at where we've come in 500 years in terms of our fellowship with our Roman Catholic sisters and brothers.  May we also share that respect and fellowship with fellow Lutherans. 

I do hope you have a wonderful commemoration today - as I am looking forward to our day as well.  Members of our congregation will receive a special gift after the service - one of Pastor Fred Schumacher's Luther medals.  They're beautiful and this year as well as medals from past years are available on alpb.org.    ;) 

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »
Sharing just a small piece of today's beautiful liturgy.  https://www.facebook.com/caroline.parody/videos/1569427279770021/.  Our musicians are home grown - we're blessed! 

Our entrance hymn was:  "Though All Our Life is Like a Scroll."  Many thanks, Pastor Weedon!

Daniel L. Gard

Reformation Conversation Tonight
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2017, 09:00:22 AM »
As promised, I am re-posting the information on this evening's Reformation Conversation at 7:30 central time.

Live-streaming at: https://www.cuchicago.edu/news-events/streaming-video/

Information at:

https://www.cuchicago.edu/experience/faith/500th-anniversary-reformation/the-reformation-at-500-an-interdenominational-conversation/

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
Thanks, Dr. Gard. Looking forward to it.

CSL will lie-stream their Reformation service Oct 31st at 7:00 pm.

https://www.csl.edu/live/

"Please join us for a celebration in song of the Reformation and the promise of God’s Word.
The musical celebration will highlight the three “solas,” teachings central to the Reformation:

Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)"
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Pr. Luke Zimmerman

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • 2 Timothy 3:14-15
    • View Profile
    • Minister of Mechanicsburg
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Besides the local parish observance on Sunday morning, parishioners from my LCMS congregation in Mechanicsburg and from the neighboring LCMS congregation in Lititz met together in Myerstown for Festival Evening Prayer. This is where an LCMS mission congregation is being planted; last year's Reformation observance there was a sort of formal "kickoff" of that effort.

Meeting in a seminary chapel that is rented as worship space for the mission congregation, there were 125+ worshipers gathered, including some who were not attached to our parishes. Prior to the beginning of the service proper, singers young and old from both congregations and the mission plant sang settings classic and modern of seven different Luther hymns.

My colleague, Adam Koontz, gave a dynamic homily about the eternal gospel that comes down from heaven, which remains our focus even as the world that we see around us may scoff at or mock it. We can look up to this message with hope instead of looking down and around at our generation and despair. It was an excellent treatment of the Reformation pericopes (Revelation 14:6-7; Roman 3:19-28; and Matthew 11:12-19). Taking that to heart might inspire people to both hold onto and make known that gospel, even in the midst of opposition.
Pr. Luke Zimmerman
Calvary Evangelical Lutheran Church -- Mechanicsburg, PA

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2017, 07:37:40 AM »
Forum readers with access to The New York Times will want to do today's crossword puzzle.  Today's puzzle has many clues related to Reformation Day scenes and events.
Norman Teigen

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
Last night was the panel discussion at Concordia University, Chicago with President of  Wheaton College,
the  RC Cardinal from Chicago and LCMS President Matthew Harrison.

Did those who watched it, have any comments?

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
Joint Statement by the Lutheran World Federation and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity on the conclusion of the year of the common commemoration of the Reformation, 31st October 2017, 31.10.2017
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2017/10/31/171031a.html

Excerpt:
Pope Francis and President Younan stated together: “Many members of our communities yearn to receive the Eucharist at one table, as the concrete expression of full unity. We experience the pain of those who share their whole lives, but cannot share God’s redeeming presence at the Eucharistic table. We acknowledge our joint pastoral responsibility to respond to the spiritual thirst and hunger of our people to be one in Christ. We long for this wound in the Body of Christ to be healed. This is the goal of our ecumenical endeavours, which we wish to advance, also by renewing our commitment to theological dialogue”.

Among the blessings of this year of Commemoration is the fact that for the first time Lutherans and Catholics have seen the Reformation from an ecumenical perspective. This has allowed new insight into the events of the sixteenth century which led to our separation. We recognize that while the past cannot be changed, its influence upon us today can be transformed to become a stimulus for growing communion, and a sign of hope for the world to overcome division and fragmentation. Again, it has become clear that what we have in common is far more than that which still divides us.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
Joint Statement by the Lutheran World Federation and the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity on the conclusion of the year of the common commemoration of the Reformation, 31st October 2017, 31.10.2017
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2017/10/31/171031a.html

Excerpt:
Pope Francis and President Younan stated together: “Many members of our communities yearn to receive the Eucharist at one table, as the concrete expression of full unity. We experience the pain of those who share their whole lives, but cannot share God’s redeeming presence at the Eucharistic table. We acknowledge our joint pastoral responsibility to respond to the spiritual thirst and hunger of our people to be one in Christ. We long for this wound in the Body of Christ to be healed. This is the goal of our ecumenical endeavours, which we wish to advance, also by renewing our commitment to theological dialogue”.

Among the blessings of this year of Commemoration is the fact that for the first time Lutherans and Catholics have seen the Reformation from an ecumenical perspective. This has allowed new insight into the events of the sixteenth century which led to our separation. We recognize that while the past cannot be changed, its influence upon us today can be transformed to become a stimulus for growing communion, and a sign of hope for the world to overcome division and fragmentation. Again, it has become clear that what we have in common is far more than that which still divides us.

Peace,
Michael

There was a good article in the recent Christian Century "On Luther and His Lies", having to do with his virulent anti-Jewish writings, which ends with the same hopeful note expressed by Bp. Younans and Pope Francis.  There is transformative power in facing the past squarely in the cross of Christ.

Dave Benke

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2017, 03:04:29 PM »
Here is the recording of President Harrison (LCMS), President Ryken (Wheaton) and Cardinal Cupish last night.

https://livestream.com/accounts/1463756/events/4448793/videos/165196661

NGB

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »
President Harrison will be preaching at CTS' Reformation service tonight at 7:30. Live streaming information can be found here: http://www.ctsfw.edu/resources/reformation-500/500th-anniversary-of-the-reformation-service/

(I didn't see anyone mention this upstream, but if someone did and I missed it, I apologize for the duplication.)