Author Topic: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.  (Read 4440 times)

racin_jason

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:55:45 AM »
This is a thread for people to share how the Reformation is being observed on this, the 500th anniversary of the posting of the 95 Theses, events happening in congregations, districts and synods, as well as any presence and/or participation from those in the Roman Catholic Church etc.

My hope is this thread will help us gain a snapshot of what is happening across the country. 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:11:12 PM by racin_jason »
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

racin_jason

• View Profile
Re: Reformation 2017 - Observances and celebrations.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:26:49 PM »
In Savannah, Georgia on Oct. 22nd, their will be a joint Roman Catholic / (ELCA) Lutheran prayer service held in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. Roman Catholic Bishop Gregory Hartmeyer will participate, as will the Bishop of the ELCA Southeastern Synod the Rev. Julian Gordy. The order of worship will be similar (if not identical) to the one used when Pope Francis worshiped with Lutherans in Lund, Sweden in October of 2016. Preaching will be The Rev. Fleming Rutledge, an Episcopal priest and author.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
Yesterday the Missouri and Kansas Districts of the LCMS jointly hosted a Reformation Hymn Festival at Kansas City's Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.  The free tickets to both sessions (4pm and 7pm) "sold out" within an hour or two of being made available several weeks ago.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 03:07:07 PM »
Yesterday the Missouri and Kansas Districts of the LCMS jointly hosted a Reformation Hymn Festival at Kansas City's Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts.  The free tickets to both sessions (4pm and 7pm) "sold out" within an hour or two of being made available several weeks ago.

The Kauffman Center event was really well done.  Local organist, Dr. Elisa Bickers, was really good as was Concordia Seward musical prof, Dr. Jeffrey Blersch.  Musicians from the KC Symphony performed along with a 300+ voice choir made up of churches from metropolitan KC.  Over 25 churches and the two Lutheran high schools (KC and Concordia MO) supported the event with their financial support.  (Minimum suggested contribution for each congregation was $500.  Trinity, Mission KS has a foundation that contributed thousands of dollars for the event.)

It was called Sing the Faith and there was some Scripture readings, a reading from the Large Catechism, and from a Luther sermon.  Christmas and Easter hymns were part of it.  It was really good, which I believe I've already said.  I was very happy that my congregation was a sponsor of the event and it took absolutely no effort to get them to participate.  The congregation I serve (Holy Trinity, Grandview) had 15 singers in the choir and about 30 who attended. 

Westboro Baptist attended the event in order to protest along Broadway and 17th St.  They brought their signs.  Their permit was from 4-7.  I got a photo of one of the protesters because a friend in MI was dumbfounded that WBC would be at our event.  (Michigan had an event at the Breslin Center, but I will let a Michigander tell us about that.)  They were quiet, stayed on the sidewalk.  They sent letters to the churches announcing their need for attention and that they would protest.  I told my folks to ignore them, pray for them, and enjoy the event.  I think my people did just that.  Some didn't even see the protesters. 

It was a great event.  Aletheist, if I'd have known you'd have been there, I'd have suggested meeting at a certain point and giving each other the secret ALPB handshake.  For all I know you were sitting behind me enjoying the rich music.  And perhaps we could have gotten Jim Butler to return to KC from Boston.  Maybe next year when we celebrate the 501st anniversary.  Lol.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:16:30 PM »
Glad you asked!

First, Let the Books Tell the Story.

Concordia University Chicago has several events. Currently and through November 5, we have a unique collection of printed works on display. These have never been seen together in one place and some (like the Bach Bible) will never travel again:

From https://www.cuchicago.edu/experience/faith/500th-anniversary-reformation/let-the-books-tell-the-story-j.s.-bachs-bible-and-reformation-treasures/

This unprecedented opportunity to view Johann Sebastian Bach’s personal Bible (1733) along with many authentic 16th century documents will chart the Reformation’s impact through a remarkable presentation of rare books, including:

An original leaf from the Gutenberg Bible (c.1454)
                        Erasmus' Greek New Testament (1516)
                        The first Lutheran hymnal - Achtliederbuch (1524)
                        Luther's seminal works of the 1520's
                        The Papal Bull - Exsurge Domine (1520)
                        The Augsburg Confession and Apology (1531)
                        The Luther Bible (1534)
                        The historic English Bibles of the 1530's
                        The first printed Spanish Bible - Biblia del Oso (1569)
                        1580 editions of the Book of Concord
                        The Geneva Bible (1599)

Second, a truly historic "Reformation Conversation."

On October 30 at 7:30 CT. The participants are Rev. Dr. Matthew Harrison (President, LCMS), Cardinal Blase Cupich (Roman Catholic Archbishop of Chicago) and Dr. Phil Ryken (Reformed theologian and President of Wheaton College). The moderator is Manya Brachear Pashman (Chicago Tribune).

The event is filled (600 people) but overflow rooms with closed circuit TV are available. It is also available by live-stream at https://www.cuchicago.edu/news-events/streaming-video/

https://www.cuchicago.edu/experience/faith/500th-anniversary-reformation/the-reformation-at-500-an-interdenominational-conversation/
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 07:26:59 PM by Daniel L. Gard »

J. Eriksson

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »

This IMO is "in-reach"  how could /can it be outreach/witness if the tickets are sold out?  Church folks have only a finite amount of time, money and energy.   Hiding the  light under a basket.

May I suggest a different approach:
a. follow the same format, hymns and scripture readings for vocal breaks.
b. have 3 or so churches get together at one church so attendance is 70-80% capacity
c. announce it to the neighborhood and put it up on the church sign with a welcome
d. do it 2 days in a row, 2 weeks in a row  do it again in November at a different location.  So all 3-4 churches share
e. above all open the windows so the Joy in the faith can be heard in the neighborhood!

Let people sneak in and join,   sing the same hymns in Sunday worship for a few weeks.
"Hymn sing St. John's Gaspump Sunday 2:00 PM.   "pssst" wanna sneak in and join us?

Jeremy ' how about trying the above approach at your church/ or circuit next year?

Best to all, but unfortunately grouchy because I think this was a wasted opportunity.
james
I'm not a pastor.  Please don't call me one.

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:05 PM »
This IMO is "in-reach" how could/can it be outreach/witness if the tickets are sold out?  Church folks have only a finite amount of time, money and energy.  Hiding the light under a basket.
Who said anything about outreach/witness?  The thread title refers to "observances and celebrations."  This particular event was primarily geared toward worship and praise.
Best to all, but unfortunately grouchy because I think this was a wasted opportunity.
Your attitude is indeed unfortunate.  Why not focus on your own vocations, rather than complaining about how others have chosen to carry out theirs?
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 02:20:03 PM »

This IMO is "in-reach"  how could /can it be outreach/witness if the tickets are sold out?  Church folks have only a finite amount of time, money and energy.   Hiding the  light under a basket.

May I suggest a different approach:
a. follow the same format, hymns and scripture readings for vocal breaks.
b. have 3 or so churches get together at one church so attendance is 70-80% capacity
c. announce it to the neighborhood and put it up on the church sign with a welcome
d. do it 2 days in a row, 2 weeks in a row  do it again in November at a different location.  So all 3-4 churches share
e. above all open the windows so the Joy in the faith can be heard in the neighborhood!

Let people sneak in and join,   sing the same hymns in Sunday worship for a few weeks.
"Hymn sing St. John's Gaspump Sunday 2:00 PM.   "pssst" wanna sneak in and join us?

Jeremy ' how about trying the above approach at your church/ or circuit next year?

james
I don't think I'm quite understanding your objection to the event, which sounds like it was great. Is every gathering of Christians best understood as a wasted opportunity to mingle with unbelievers?

John Theiss

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
At least one of my sons in Shawnee and his family (maybe both) attended this event and enjoyed (if that is the appropriate word) it tremendously.  My grandchildren (ages 13, 10, 8 and 6) loved it as well.  It was clearly seen by them as a celebration of thanksgiving to God for the blessings that have come out of the Reformation. 

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:29 AM »
We've had a number of Reformation themed events for the communitirs around us. (We're on the south side of KC metro, fyi.) Grace alone- a day of grace for people around us, primarily low income. It was a back to school event with free school supplies (we checked the published school supply lists and had them pre-packaged by grade), free gently used clothing, free hair cuts, hygiene kits, free lunch, free Bibles, free catechisms, free prayer. 200 people attended. Faith alone- an artistic afternoon of visual and performing arts that emphasize faith in the triune God (rather than faith in faith, a personal bugaboo of mine). Word alone- what we do on a daily basis with our preschool, daily vocations, Sunday worship. We've highlighted the accessibile resources for our members to use that can help them live out the God-given faith of their baptism.

The Sunday hymn sing was primarily for "us." And I'm okay with that. Several choir members told me they'd do it again in a heartbeat. I saw two ushers singing. And Westboro Baptist showed up but I don't think they took the opportunity to come in. And I also think that the response was somewhat surprising for the planning committee. The Kauffman Center noticed how quickly the free tickets were snatched up and the length of the waiting list and asked us to do a matinee.

I am a both-and guy rather than either-or. We can have a celebratory event for us and live that faith in all portions of the metro area. We can celebrate our faith, our musical heritage, the enduring gifts of the Reformation and we can put that into practice. We may not always be the best at that, but that's okay. We do our best.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Sunday I will be preaching and presiding at an Episcopal Church some distance from us. The rector is doing a whole month focusing on the Reformation, and he wanted a Lutheran guest for one of the Sundays (he really would have preferred to have me for Reformation Day, but I'll be in Hawaii). He's using the LBW liturgy for his 10:00 service, and the SBH liturgy for 8:00 (that's normally his Rite 1 service). It will be an interesting experience. He's sent me his "sermons" for the first couple of weeks, and they are really more like introductory presentations about different branches of the Reformation than sermons. I'm struggling how to give some historical info about Luther and the Lutheran Reformation but still preach on the lections for the day.

But it will be nice to sing some good Lutheran hymns!
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:13 AM »
The Reformation week-end at Luther seminary in St. Paul looks like fun. I will be there.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

RPG

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Don't feed the trolls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 02:48:18 PM »
While you're at Luther Seminary, be sure to check out the artwork displayed in the narthex outside the Chapel of the Incarnation. My wife is a calligrapher and the sem invited her to show some of her work that's based on the Small Catechism. You can also find it at engagingfaith.com.

/shameless plug  ;) :)

RPG+
The Rev. Ryan P. Gage
Eureka, SD

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Just finished six great days in a beach house on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, with a bunch of friends and relatives. About 18 of us, and the young folks did all the cooking.

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 07:12:41 PM »
Here is the itinerary that I put together for my merry band of 107 pilgrims. (A few travelers had to drop out for health reasons.)

Oct 24-26 - Berlin (city tour; special exhibit on Luther at the German Historical Museum; Bach's B-Minor Mass at the Philharmonic, directed by Ton Koopman[my son and I have great seats]; lunch with a friend from my home congregation [St. John, Salem, Ore.] who now works in the German Interior Ministry; drinks with VU alumni who now live in Berlin);

Oct 27 - Eisleben (Luther's birth and death place) and Erfurt (university and Aug. monastery; we'll be worshiping at the monastery on the 29th);

Oct 28 - Eisenach (one of the places where Luther studied as a child; Bach's birthplace; Wartburg; spending time in the Bachhaus Museum; St. George Lutheran Church, where Bach was baptized);

Oct 29 - Rothenburg o. d. Tauber (not my choice; tour company needed to include it in order to keep the tour costs down in the hopes that pilgrims will buy from K. Wohlfahrt; looking forward to the Kriminalmuseum there, where there's an exhibit on Luther and witchcraft);

Oct 30 - Coburg (where Luther resided during the Diet of Augsburg);

Oct 31 - Leipzig and Wittenberg (9:30am divine service at St. Thomas w/Valpo chorale and Thomanerchor, Lord's Supper in chancel where Bach is buried; hymnfest in Castle Church, Wittenberg w/Valpo Chorale in afternoon; in the am service Thomanerchor is singing BWV 79); hoping to catch a glimpse of the spokesperson for the free world, Kanzlerin Angela Merkel, who will be worshiping in Wittenberg that day;

Nov 1 - Spending the day in Wittenberg; dinner at Zill's Tunnel in Leipzig; VU president's reception for 200 people at the St. Thomas School;

Nov 2 - Excursion to Dresden, Frauenkirche, and Zwinger;

Nov 3 - Excursion to Weimar (Bach, Goethe, Schiller) and Buchenwald (an opportunity to discuss "Luther and the Jews," the Shoah, as well as Bonhoeffer and Paul Schneider); 6pm motet service at St. Thomas, Leipzig, with VU chorale and Thomanerchor (BWV 80; a new piece by Jake Runestad, commissioned by VU to observe the 500th: "Into The Light," which weaves together ideas from M. Luther, MLK Jr., Mahatma Ghandi, Helen Keller, F. Douglass, Mechthild v. M., and a few others);

Nov 4 - Spending the day in Leipzig (e.g. Nicolaikirche, setting for the prayers for peace on Mon's at 5pm [starting in 1982] that were a catalyst for the downfall of East-German Communism; lunch at Auerbach's Keller, where Goethe set a scene in his Faust; 3pm motet service at St. Thomas w/VU chorale and Thomanerchor [BWV 79]);

Nov 5 - Divine Service at S. T's (VU chorale/Thomanerchor for Allerheiligen), and then the rest of the day at the Bach museum, the art museum, Stasi Museum, and then back to Berlin;

Every morning after our devotion, which various members in the group have agreed to lead, I will provide a mini-lecture on the day's focus/foci. Additional color commentary will be provided on the three buses during the journey.

We end the tour on Sun night, Nov 5, at the Hofbrauhaus in Berlin, and return to the states on Nov 6.

I/we would welcome your prayers for safe travel.

Matt Becker
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:14:22 AM by Mbecker »