Author Topic: Happy Columbus Day  (Read 2036 times)

Team Hesse

Re: Happy Columbus Day
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
Yes, that was cool.

Lou

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
What I thought was great was that it was a clue that had to be opened more fully and that it was just so casually part of the everyday... bumper sticker, anniversary year, occupation, T-shirt and so it kinda extended the reference more than normally would be found in a single clue, IMO. 
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2017, 12:37:20 PM »
Last night, on NCIS, a clue is a portion of a bumper sticker.  It appears to read “50” then a flower. Agent McGee looks closer and says “this is the 500th anniversary of the protestant reformation.“
He concludes that the 50 is actually 500 and the flower is a Luther rose.
It turns out that the person they seek is a teacher at a Lutheran school, and is later seen wearing a T-shirt that says “Immanuel Lutheran preschool.”
Way cool. One of the writers must of been Lutheran.

Watched it!  Was thinking of
a) my own pre-school
b) a recent gathering at which one of my wayback former parishioners recounted her running a Lutheran Pre-School in the greater DC area. 
Lutheran Education Rocks!

You have good eyes to catch the name on that logo!

Dave Benke

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 02:45:46 PM »
I am not going to be an apologist for the barbarities of Pizzaro et al. But I would recommend reading V.D. Hanson on Cortez, and the fact that the next time any group would kill at the industrial scale of the Aztecs would be when the 3rd Reich got ginned up.

I would also point out that Protestant encounters with indigenous peoples was not a story of unbridled sweetness and light. South Africa and the English North American colonies, and their later iteration as the US come to mind.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

gan ainm

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
I am not going to be an apologist for the barbarities of Pizzaro et al. But I would recommend reading V.D. Hanson on Cortez, and the fact that the next time any group would kill at the industrial scale of the Aztecs would be when the 3rd Reich got ginned up.

I would also point out that Protestant encounters with indigenous peoples was not a story of unbridled sweetness and light. South Africa and the English North American colonies, and their later iteration as the US come to mind.

And even worse when the abortion industrial complex got ginned up post Roe vs. Wade.

Bury My Heart at Planned Parenthood - might make a good book title but I doubt the masses would care since there is no puppy dog, cat or spotted owl affected.   :'(

« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 02:59:16 PM by gan ainm »