Author Topic: Former (nominal) Lutheran to be inducted into College of Cardinals  (Read 1524 times)

JEdwards

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Pope Francis has selected Bishop Anders Arborelius of Stockholm to be a member of the College of Cardinals.  He will be inducted into the College on June 28.  Bishop Arborelius was a nominal member of the Church of Sweden until becoming Catholic as a young man.

https://cruxnow.com/global-church/2016/10/20/even-sweden-christian-values-permeate-secular-world/

Peace,
Jon
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 04:18:18 PM by JEdwards »

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
Re: Former (nominal) Lutheran to be inducted into College of Cardinals
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
May we never forget that Stan Musial was one of the greatest Cardinals to ever play MLB.
This Hall of Famer was a staunch Roman Catholic who sent his three children to RC schools.
Although Stan died in 2012 at the age of 92, he still remains an icon in St. Louis.

MEKoch

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:47:17 PM »
Confession time about Stan Musial. 

In 1966 I am at Concordia Senior College in Ft. Wayne.  It is Fall and Dr. John Klotz had assigned us reading about the environment.  One assigned paper was on the great smog that enveloped Donora, PA in 1948, causing many deaths, because the steel industry south of Pittsburgh was a BIG DEAL, and the valley in Donora was deep.  So, I read the article and wrote the required one page report.  Stan Musial was born in Donora, PA (I knew this from baseball cards.....)

Two guys in Dorm K asked to copy my paper.  I said yes, BUT you must change your text considerably.  Well, they did that part of it, but then spelled the town as "Donoran."   Klotz read their papers and caught the mistake and knew it was copying.  They both got Fs for the course!  When they had their session with Klotz, they returned to Dorm K and burst into my room angry and upset.  After beating upon me, they asked why I did not get caught.  I said:  Everyone knows that Stan Musial was born in Donora, PA.  (They were both from Missouri.....)

They were not happy, but had to take the course a 2nd time.

Mike Koch

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 07:47:33 PM »
Oops! Sorry! I thought you were referring to Archbishop Anders Arborelius, RC bishop of Stockholm, who became a Catholic at the age of 20 and is now named to the College of Cardinals.
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/2017/06/09/bishop-anders-arborelius-reflects-on-being-first-native-swede-named-cardinal/
 ;)

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
Confession time about Stan Musial. 

In 1966 I am at Concordia Senior College in Ft. Wayne.  It is Fall and Dr. John Klotz had assigned us reading about the environment.  One assigned paper was on the great smog that enveloped Donora, PA in 1948, causing many deaths, because the steel industry south of Pittsburgh was a BIG DEAL, and the valley in Donora was deep.  So, I read the article and wrote the required one page report.  Stan Musial was born in Donora, PA (I knew this from baseball cards.....)

Two guys in Dorm K asked to copy my paper.  I said yes, BUT you must change your text considerably.  Well, they did that part of it, but then spelled the town as "Donoran."   Klotz read their papers and caught the mistake and knew it was copying.  They both got Fs for the course!  When they had their session with Klotz, they returned to Dorm K and burst into my room angry and upset.  After beating upon me, they asked why I did not get caught.  I said:  Everyone knows that Stan Musial was born in Donora, PA.  (They were both from Missouri.....)

They were not happy, but had to take the course a 2nd time.

Mike Koch

These days, you would also have been regarded as guilty and would have been penalized.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:01:43 AM »
Oops! Sorry! I thought you were referring to Archbishop Anders Arborelius, RC bishop of Stockholm, who became a Catholic at the age of 20 and is now named to the College of Cardinals.
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/2017/06/09/bishop-anders-arborelius-reflects-on-being-first-native-swede-named-cardinal/
 ;)

Peace,
Michael

Actually, I did start with Cardinal Arborelius in mind.  The new cardinal has some sobering observations on the ecumenical challenges that Catholics and Lutherans still need to face:

https://cruxnow.com/interviews/2017/06/30/new-swedish-cardinal-says-inter-communion-lutherans-not-possible/

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 09:23:54 AM »
 ;)

Peace,
Michael

Actually, I did start with Cardinal Arborelius in mind.  The new cardinal has some sobering observations on the ecumenical challenges that Catholics and Lutherans still need to face:

https://cruxnow.com/interviews/2017/06/30/new-swedish-cardinal-says-inter-communion-lutherans-not-possible/

Pity the poor cardinal is nowhere near the theological sophisticate as Pr. Austin. What was Francis thinking?
Matt Hummel

ďThe chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.Ē

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
 ;)

Thanks for calling that interview to our attention. Arborelius speaks of these main problem areas:
Among people in the Lutheran Church, there are different visions on the Eucharist. Some members are very close to us, and that is very typical in our relationship with the Lutheran Church, while others have a very different outlook. Thatís so because there is not a unity of faith within the Church of Sweden as a Lutheran Church. Maybe this is one of the major difficulties, to know what the position of the Lutheran church is as such.
     Officially we know that Luther accepted the real presence in the Eucharist in actu, during the celebration only, but not after the Mass, and that is a great difficulty of course.
In the classical Lutheran faith, we are incapable of doing anything [because] sin has destroyed human nature. We donít think this way, because we believe that the Lord is merciful, and he is at the same time at work cleansing us, making us more purified, helping us grow in his love. It is through this gift of grace we can help Him save the world and we are not passive objects in the game, but we are really coworkers in the work of salvation of the world.
Yes, you are right, there are what we call ethical differences that have become very, very difficult matters, also within the Lutheran Church. We have to remember that there are many people that cannot accept abortion, same-sex marriages and all these matters.
     It is important to realize that there are people out there who have the same opinion as we have, but officially the synod in the Lutheran Church recently agreed to same-sex marriages. This has become a tricky thing, because many of the pastors do not want to perform those kinds of marriages. Of course, in ecumenical dialogue this is a very difficult issue.
Whether Cardinal Arborelius has articulated Lutheran faith in a way that members of this Forum would recognize is, of course, for the reader to judge.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:39 AM »
 ;)

Thanks for calling that interview to our attention. Arborelius speaks of these main problem areas:
Among people in the Lutheran Church, there are different visions on the Eucharist. Some members are very close to us, and that is very typical in our relationship with the Lutheran Church, while others have a very different outlook. Thatís so because there is not a unity of faith within the Church of Sweden as a Lutheran Church. Maybe this is one of the major difficulties, to know what the position of the Lutheran church is as such.
     Officially we know that Luther accepted the real presence in the Eucharist in actu, during the celebration only, but not after the Mass, and that is a great difficulty of course.
In the classical Lutheran faith, we are incapable of doing anything [because] sin has destroyed human nature. We donít think this way, because we believe that the Lord is merciful, and he is at the same time at work cleansing us, making us more purified, helping us grow in his love. It is through this gift of grace we can help Him save the world and we are not passive objects in the game, but we are really coworkers in the work of salvation of the world.
Yes, you are right, there are what we call ethical differences that have become very, very difficult matters, also within the Lutheran Church. We have to remember that there are many people that cannot accept abortion, same-sex marriages and all these matters.
     It is important to realize that there are people out there who have the same opinion as we have, but officially the synod in the Lutheran Church recently agreed to same-sex marriages. This has become a tricky thing, because many of the pastors do not want to perform those kinds of marriages. Of course, in ecumenical dialogue this is a very difficult issue.
Whether Cardinal Arborelius has articulated Lutheran faith in a way that members of this Forum would recognize is, of course, for the reader to judge.

Peace,
Michael

Too bad that the new cardinal can't participate in the debate over ELCA use of the term "bondage to sin" in its brief order of confession and forgiveness.

JEdwards

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 12:21:09 PM »
 ;)

Peace,
Michael

Minor point, but as Stockholm is not an archdiocese, Cardinal Arborelius is a bishop, but not an archbishop.  His selection definitely seems to be of a piece with Pope Francis' solicitude for the "peripheries".

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:07 PM »

As an ELCA pastor who meets regularly with other professional leaders within our Conference, synod, etc., I recognize Cardinal Arborelius' articulation of Lutheran faith all too well. 

Frid och allt gott, Steven+

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:57:47 PM by The Rev. Steven P. Tibbetts, STS »
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 12:35:55 PM »
Too bad that the new cardinal can't participate in the debate over ELCA use of the term "bondage to sin" in its brief order of confession and forgiveness.

The ELCA's hymnal, Evangelical Lutheran Worship, doesn't use the phrase "bondage to sin."
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 12:41:15 PM »

The ELCA's hymnal, Evangelical Lutheran Worship, doesn't use the phrase "bondage to sin."

We still use LBW, which remains an ELCA hymnal.  And in any event, ELW uses "captive to sin," which isn't materially different.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 12:43:46 PM by James_Gale »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2017, 10:24:40 PM »
Some interesting lines from a review of the book SCANDINAVIANS: In Search of the Soul of the North By Robert Ferguson
The reviewer, Lisa Abend, is English, but living in Denmark. She writes: "Danes today tend to think of Swedes as uptight metrosexuals; Swedes see their neighbors across the Oresund as jaywalking, pot-smoking anarchists; and both agree that Norwegians are dull, backwoods hicks with an annoying amount of oil wealth." ;) :D
Retired ELCA Pastor. Former national staff Lutheran Church in America And the Lutheran world Federation, Geneva. Former journalist. Now retired and living in Minneapolis.