Author Topic: The Presentation of the Augsburg Confession  (Read 725 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
The Presentation of the Augsburg Confession
« on: June 26, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »
I was hesitant to start this as a new topic as I know we discussed this commemoration recently, but I could not find it as a topic nor a digression.  Lest I follow the nine who walked away, i want to thank whomever it was who posted the LCMS resources for this commemoration.  We used them yesterday - Propers, hymn suggestions - and the hymn, "Preserve Your Word, O Savior."  The words are beautiful.  We also plan to use, "Though All Our Life is Like a Scroll" on Reformation Sunday.  I've been tasked with much of our commemoration of this 500th year and I'll admit to finding most of my resources on the LCMS site.  Their liturgical resources are excellent. 

I would be interested in knowing if other congregations commemorated this event and how. 

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: The Presentation of the Augsburg Confession
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
We observed the presentation of the Augsburg confession yesterday, and my sermon was based on the event itself and what was done at the time to preserve the Gospel. I got some good comments from people following the worship service. It was more of a history lecture than the usual sermon, but I think it got the necessary job done for that particular observance.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Heading home from Sioux City after three days and a reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:29:46 PM »
We observed the presentation of the Augsburg confession yesterday, and my sermon was based on the event itself and what was done at the time to preserve the Gospel. I got some good comments from people following the worship service. It was more of a history lecture than the usual sermon, but I think it got the necessary job done for that particular observance.

My Pastor's sermon was similar, it would seem.   Not his usual type of sermon, but perfect for the commemoration. 

Weedon

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 09:35:32 PM »
Eileen,

So glad that the suggested propers worked well for you all! Hereís an article on the author of Though All Our Life:

http://www.qconline.com/news/religion/moline-pastor-pens-award-winning-hymn/article_e96e2c89-d7b4-5a7e-a741-4df47bc5cb2b.html

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:40:48 AM »
I attended the thanksgiving liturgy for the ministry of Pastor Eric Mathsen, long time ALPB Board member.  He observed the Augustana Anniversery in his choice of propers and his sermon.  It was all very well done.  A lifetime of ministry in the Bronx and White Plains committed to the Augsburg Confession.  For anyone in the congregation who was Roman Catholic he was emphatic that he would not resort to Lutheran triumphalism; he did not.  He reviewed the positive commitments of Augsburg as they had affected his ministry to God's people. It was very well done.

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:51:50 AM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:04:46 AM »
While we did not use the propers we did sing justification-centered Hymns. In addition, the sermon tied together the old hymn His eye Is On the Sparrow with the overarching justification themes of the AC. Melanchthon and Luther understood that the key to understanding justification and the Christian life is that God our Creator takes care of us his creatures, and we are indeed of more value than even the sparrows.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 07:26:20 AM »
Eileen,

So glad that the suggested propers worked well for you all! Hereís an article on the author of Though All Our Life:

http://www.qconline.com/news/religion/moline-pastor-pens-award-winning-hymn/article_e96e2c89-d7b4-5a7e-a741-4df47bc5cb2b.html

Thank you for this!  May I use quotes in either the bulletin that Sunday or our newsletter for October?  I've been writing 500th-themed articles for the newsletter this year and the article you sent would be an interesting addition.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 07:37:38 AM »
We used the propers and the order of service provided by the LCMS as we observed a Christian education Sunday for our Sunday School and day care workers and students - it all fit together quite well.  My brother, in town for a family baptism, and I sang "Go My Children, with My Blessing" after the benediction.

Then we hustled over to Carnegie Hall to join a sold-out throng for a day of song celebration hosted by Concordia, Bronxville.

Then the family baptism.

Full day!

Dave Benke

Weedon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 07:55:18 AM »
Eileen,

I assume you can quote from it since it was a published article in a newspaper, but Iím not an expert on such things.