Author Topic: The Foundationalist War against Hermeneutics in the Missouri Synod  (Read 3055 times)

Michael Slusser

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Concordia—St. Louis put out a surprising announcement today: Dr. Kloha is leaving CSL later this summer to become director of Collections Operations at Museum of the Bible.

Interesting.  Apparently this is a new institution.  It is not slotted to open until November.  The building in Washington, D.C., in fact, is still under construction, but it looks pretty impressive.  Apparently it has already brought together one of the largest assemblies of biblical artifacts and texts in the world.  Looking at the website you can't help but be impressed by the scope of this project.
Under "leadership": Rick Warren + 20 board members, of which 18 are men, two wearing ties. Fashionistas may be able to get a reading from that.

(By the way, two are friends of mine.)

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

James_Gale

• View Profile
Concordia—St. Louis put out a surprising announcement today: Dr. Kloha is leaving CSL later this summer to become director of Collections Operations at Museum of the Bible.

Interesting.  Apparently this is a new institution.  It is not slotted to open until November.  The building in Washington, D.C., in fact, is still under construction, but it looks pretty impressive.  Apparently it has already brought together one of the largest assemblies of biblical artifacts and texts in the world.  Looking at the website you can't help but be impressed by the scope of this project.
Under "leadership": Rick Warren + 20 board members, of which 18 are men, two wearing ties. Fashionistas may be able to get a reading from that.

Peace,
Michael

The web site leaves me both impressed and confused.  I'm impressed by the leaders' stellar credentials, the professionalism underlying their work, and the substantial resources obviously supporting this project.

That said, you'd think that a web site regarding a Bible Museum would try to convey something about the Bible.  But I see little or none of that.  I didn't find a single line of Scripture.  I didn't see anything explaining the Christian faith.  I didn't see anyplace where a reader would be able to find or buy a Bible.  It all felt just a little soulless. 

Beyond thought, a couple videos seemed to give honored status to the KJV.  It is a beautiful work, obviously.  But as best I can tell, it's little used.  Better translations have been available for decades or longer.

And as Fr. Slusser noted, the Board seems as committed to their look (sports coat with open collar) as the Apple executives as to theirs (jeans and inexpensive shirts).  They nearly all appear to be 50- or 60-something-year-old white men.  The Church institutionally seems to be barely represented. 

As a DC resident, I'll find it easy to visit the museum.  I'm very curious to see what they've done.  But as I said, the web site leaves me wondering what I should expect.

SomeoneWrites

• View Profile

Peace,
Michael

The web site leaves me both impressed and confused.  I'm impressed by the leaders' stellar credentials, the professionalism underlying their work, and the substantial resources obviously supporting this project.

That said, you'd think that a web site regarding a Bible Museum would try to convey something about the Bible.  But I see little or none of that.  I didn't find a single line of Scripture.  I didn't see anything explaining the Christian faith.  I didn't see anyplace where a reader would be able to find or buy a Bible.  It all felt just a little soulless. 

Beyond thought, a couple videos seemed to give honored status to the KJV.  It is a beautiful work, obviously.  But as best I can tell, it's little used.  Better translations have been available for decades or longer.

And as Fr. Slusser noted, the Board seems as committed to their look (sports coat with open collar) as the Apple executives as to theirs (jeans and inexpensive shirts).  They nearly all appear to be 50- or 60-something-year-old white men.  The Church institutionally seems to be barely represented. 

As a DC resident, I'll find it easy to visit the museum.  I'm very curious to see what they've done.  But as I said, the web site leaves me wondering what I should expect.

I didn't get the sense it's a Christian gig.  Lots of Jewish stuff there as well as academic perspectives that aren't necessarily Christian either.  Looks kinda like what it says it is - a Bible museum and research center.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was JEDP stuff in there too. 
LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

James_Gale

• View Profile

Peace,
Michael

I didn't get the sense it's a Christian gig.  Lots of Jewish stuff there as well as academic perspectives that aren't necessarily Christian either.  Looks kinda like what it says it is - a Bible museum and research center.  Wouldn't surprise me if there was JEDP stuff in there too.

You might be right.  But you've got Board members like Rick Warren and staff members who studied at schools like Wheaton or Oral Roberts.  (They've also got PhDs from Princeton, Yale, etc.)

On the other hand, they offer curriculum for home schoolers and Christian high schools. 

This all doesn't quite paint a coherent picture for me.  That doesn't mean that the project lacks coherence.  I just can't quite tell from the web site what precisely these folks are trying to accomplish.  Neutral scholarship?  Evangelizing?  Educating from a Christian (and Jewish?) perspective?