Author Topic: Chinese version of Fordes On Being a Theologian of the Cross is forthcoming in 7  (Read 887 times)

truthseeker

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • a Lutheran novice from China
    • View Profile
The Chinese version of Gerhard Forde's On Being a Theologian of the Cross is forthcoming in July 2017
http://www.hdb.com/party/wluhb.html?from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

Hi brothers and sisters in Christ ! Long time no see!

I will share surprising news with you: the first book from a American Lutheran theologian will be published next month by a Reformed publisher in China manland ( p.s.: the overwhelming majority of all the Chinese Christian publications is Reformded ).

I think  the backgrounds of the publishing of Forde's On Being a Theologian of the Cross a are:

1) this year is the Refo. 500th anniversary, and the publisher explicitly states this book will be a tribute to the Refo. 500. And it's very normal for the refomed to celebrate the Refo. 500 (according to their refomed preferences, namely, the cliche that Luther was the beginner, but Calvin and the reformed are the finisher).

2) in spite of this, the Chinese reformed like to twist Luther into endorsing their reformed theology. So Chinese Christian publishers has published some books of Luther himself, but publications from American Lutheran denominations have been an thoroughly empty field, at least until now.

3) the Theology of the Cross seems to be a very famous doctrine in Chinese (reformed) churches. And given that very few excellent books on the subject has been published in China (and maybe West), choosing the book from Forde is almost a certainty.

Anyway, the news seems to be good for me and what surprises me is that:
1) this book marks that American Lutheran Theology is introduced by China Mainland Christian publishers for the first time  ;)

2) and the Lutheran theologian introduced by the Chinese reformed came from a non-mainstream lutheranism: neither from the "liberal" wing of American Lutheranism, nor from the "conservative" wing of American Lutheranism :o, but the Radical wing! :o (and I myself appreciate many aspects of Forde's theology )

3) I will wait the reaction of Chinese reformed and some Chinese LCMS/WELS readers to this American Lutheran book. Wait and see. May be it's a start for a more radical Gospel. :P

Besides, I expect more and more Lutheran mission activities in China.

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
One of the LCMS pastors who had a big impact on Lutheran missions in China was Dr. Henry Rowold.

He was an LCMS missionary to Taiwan (1965-1984)
He served as mission planner to South East Asia (1984-1987)
He was Director of China Coordinating Center, Hong Kong  (1987-1995)
He was a professor at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis  (1995-2009)

Currently, he is an emeritus on the Concordia, St. Louis Faculty.
Dr. Rowold was conversant in the Chinese language  as well as an O.T. Scholar.
He was a gifted preacher who proclaimed the crucified and resurrected Christ.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
There are several Chinese languages.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Heading home from Sioux City after three days and a reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
Dr. Henry Rowold speaks Mandarin, the official language of China, Taiwan, and Singapore.

truthseeker

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Are there  LCMS missions in China mainland now ?
As far as I know, a certain Hongkong seminary (WELS) are making Chinese pastors and theological students from mainland.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Lutheran World Federation Member Churches:
Hong Kong and Macau Lutheran Church, 2,200 members
Chinese Rhenish Lutheran Church, Hong Kong Synod, 13,500 members
Evangelical Lutheran Church of Hong Kong, 18,300 members
Tsun Tsin Mission of Hong Kong, 11,200 members
I do not know whether there is reliable information about Lutherans in other parts of China.
The LWF Assembly of 1997 met in Hong Kong, just a few weeks after Hong Kong was returned to China. It was a fascinating time to be in that fascinating city.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:44:39 PM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Heading home from Sioux City after three days and a reunion of the East High School class of - can you believe it! - 1959.

DCharlton

• View Profile

3) the Theology of the Cross seems to be a very famous doctrine in Chinese (reformed) churches. And given that very few excellent books on the subject has been published in China (and maybe West), choosing the book from Forde is almost a certainty.

Is Kazoh Kitamori ever read in China?
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

truthseeker

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Sorry, I havent heard the theologian. And when I search his name on Chinese internet, I find only one blog mentions this Japanese lutheran theologian. one book named Interfaith Dialogue mentioning his the pain of God.
I think few Chinese people read him.

mariemeyer

• View Profile
The Chinese version of Gerhard Forde's On Being a Theologian of the Cross is forthcoming in July 2017
http://www.hdb.com/party/wluhb.html?from=singlemessage&isappinstalled=0

Hi brothers and sisters in Christ ! Long time no see!

I will share surprising news with you: the first book from a American Lutheran theologian will be published next month by a Reformed publisher in China manland ( p.s.: the overwhelming majority of all the Chinese Christian publications is Reformded ).

I think  the backgrounds of the publishing of Forde's On Being a Theologian of the Cross a are:

1) this year is the Refo. 500th anniversary, and the publisher explicitly states this book will be a tribute to the Refo. 500. And it's very normal for the refomed to celebrate the Refo. 500 (according to their refomed preferences, namely, the cliche that Luther was the beginner, but Calvin and the reformed are the finisher).

2) in spite of this, the Chinese reformed like to twist Luther into endorsing their reformed theology. So Chinese Christian publishers has published some books of Luther himself, but publications from American Lutheran denominations have been an thoroughly empty field, at least until now.

Anyway, the news seems to be good for me and what surprises me is that:
1) this book marks that American Lutheran Theology is introduced by China Mainland Christian publishers for the first time  ;)

2) and the Lutheran theologian introduced by the Chinese reformed came from a non-mainstream lutheranism: neither from the "liberal" wing of American Lutheranism, nor from the "conservative" wing of American Lutheranism :o, but the Radical wing! :o (and I myself appreciate many aspects of Forde's theology )

3) I will wait the reaction of Chinese reformed and some Chinese LCMS/WELS readers to this American Lutheran book. Wait and see. May be it's a start for a more radical Gospel. :P

Besides, I expect more and more Lutheran mission activities in China.

I thank God that Forde's book will be available for Chinese Christians. The "radical" nature of Forde's theology is consistent with Luther's theology of the cross. Personally, I do not care who translated and published the book.  Hopefully it will enrich and strengthen the faith of Chinese Christians, Lutherans or otherwise.

Marie Meyer

According to what we heard in church yesterday, the number of Christians in China is growing.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
Wonderful news. Forde is one of my favorites. As chair of Professional Leadership Conference in Northern California in the 90's, my main goal was to invite him as a speaker for our conference. He was as insightful and delightful in person as he was as a writer.

Peter Garrison
Pete Garrison, STS

truthseeker

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
I thank God that Forde's book will be available for Chinese Christians. The "radical" nature of Forde's theology is consistent with Luther's theology of the cross. Personally, I do not care who translated and published the book.  Hopefully it will enrich and strengthen the faith of Chinese Christians, Lutherans or otherwise.

Marie Meyer

According to what we heard in church yesterday, the number of Christians in China is growing.
:)

I will do my bit to introduce the Unconditional Gospel preached by Luther, Forde and other American Lutherans to my Chinese Christians. May God open the way for His Gospel.
I hope Forde's other gems like Where God meets man, Justification by faith, Theology is for proclamation, Christian Spirituality: Five Views of Sanctification and other important essays will be published or translated in China as soon as possible.

True, the number of Christians in China is growing; but the situation of Church in China is not optimistic for: 1) the temptation of confronting the powerful who like to persecute Christ's bride; or the shameless subservience to the state (e.g. the Three-Self movement in China after 1949)  ( maybe the politicization of Church is corresponding to the leaven of Herod);

2) the inevitable erosion of the 21st C. secularism and consumerism and the Prosperity Theology ( the leaven of the Sadducees );

3) the most deadly poison--lethal combination of moralism Chinese culture (Thou art base man, I a man of honor ) and the judgemental chuchly culture (Thou reprobate, I elect, let me oheck your "life" )  (the leaven of the Pharisees)

All the three are derived from Theology of golory, may Forde's On being be a good antidote for Chinese Church.

pastorg1@aol.com

• View Profile
I imagine it could be miserable to be a Christian in China these days under some circumstances. This Sunday I preached on, in my eyes, a hero and a martyr: Brother Peter of the Benedictines in Valyermo, California. He did not deny his Lord. An exerpt from his  biography could be found below. 

Sometimes in my meetings with the local pastors, the conferences can seem to be, in Brother Peter's description, "criticism assemblies and struggle meetings"; Who can be the most radical? Who can be the most diverse? Who could be the most inclusive? It reminds me of Marat during The Terror. The Revolution will eat her children.

"From the very beginning, the Chinese Communist regime has been striving to control the people in an all-round way and to harm their thoughts, hearts, moral integrity, souls, health and bodies with endless study sessions, criticism assemblies, struggle meetings and various political campaigns. Under such a regime it would have been difficult for me, though already transformed as their follower and slave, to escape their persecution. I would have become a miserable victim suffering total ruin of body, mind and soul in the end!

The will of God for me was irrevocable and bound to be carried out step by step, and to be achieved to the full in due time. I should keep my monastic vows professed to the Lord bya unique way of insisting on the true Faith and being ready to drink the cup of salvation for Him. This ought to be my only choice and my only outlet.

On November 7, 1955, I was finally arrested and jailed. In prison I was all alone, without relatives, without friends. I seemed to be surrounded by birds and beasts, eyeing their prey, roaring and clamoring day and night. They attempted to break my fighting will, corrupt my thoughts, injure my convictions, capture my mind, ruin my spiritual and physical health and take away my faith. Meanwhile, confused ideas, upset heart, dreadful feelings, wounded beliefs and demoralized spirit swept over me repeatedly. Responding to my daily prayers, however, Our merciful Lord and Our Lady rescued me from them all again and again."

From Bro. Peter's autobiography seen at the website for St. Andrew's Abbey, Valyermo, Ca.
Pete Garrison, STS

DCharlton

• View Profile

Sorry, I havent heard the theologian. And when I search his name on Chinese internet, I find only one blog mentions this Japanese lutheran theologian. one book named Interfaith Dialogue mentioning his the pain of God.
I think few Chinese people read him.

That's too bad.  Americans don't read him often enough either.  I believe that he may have helped to inspire Shusako Endo's Silence.
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?