Author Topic: Food For the Poor Charity  (Read 845 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Food For the Poor Charity
« on: April 25, 2017, 11:39:25 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this group (Food for the Poor) out of Coconut Creek FL?  They have contacted me about having one of their speakers (retired LCMS, they said) present to our church.  Any info before I ask the church council would be helpful.  Thanks.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
Re: Food For the Poor Charity
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
Yes.  It's a reputable organization.  Roman Catholic in origin and probably still in management.  My neighboring Roman Catholic parish supports them by having a representative solicit once a year and directing the "second offering" to Food for the Poor.

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:05:24 PM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:25:15 PM »
Personal opinion...I would encourage support of LWR.

Marie Meyer

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:53:07 PM »
 When our own family has good work in that area, why go outside that?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

dkeener

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:15 PM »

I believe the same question was asked of you on the "New Lutheran Seminary chooses a new president" thread. Simply change the word "work" to "people". 

I think the better question might be, "Why not support both?'
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:44:20 PM by dkeener »

gan ainm

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 03:20:08 PM »
Food for the Poor - rated by Charity Navigator - looks great.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3714

As others implied, are the local preferred charities being fully supported?  If so, go for it, or perhaps even if not.  Good question for your church council to process and perhaps a teaching opportunity by the Pastor.

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »

I believe the same question was asked of you on the "New Lutheran Seminary chooses a new president" thread. Simply change the word "work" to "people". 

I think the better question might be, "Why not support both?'

I agree!  We support LWR.  However, we also designate a local, national, and international ministry.  My husband's RC church supports Food for the Poor and all I've heard about it is good.

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
We started giving to Food for the Poor a few years ago, after a presentation by them at our church.  We have been very impressed by their stewardship, and increased our giving accordingly.  We now send more to them than any other charity except our local congregation.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

Coach-Rev

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Rev. Jeff Cottingham, STS
    • View Profile
    • Trinity Lutheran Church
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:36:59 AM »
Is anyone familiar with this group (Food for the Poor) out of Coconut Creek FL?  They have contacted me about having one of their speakers (retired LCMS, they said) present to our church.  Any info before I ask the church council would be helpful.  Thanks.

I had a real problem with them flying a speaker in from well outside the area and when I raised that and said we would just support them without the speaker, and to use the money spent flying someone from FL to IL to feed the hungry instead, I was treated rather rudely.  We pulled the plug, did not have them come, and do not and will not support them.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln

blog:  http://coach-rev.blogspot.com/
photography:  https://jeffcottingham.smugmug.com/

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 10:43:16 AM »
Once again, for me it is a no brainer. We know our Lutheran world Relief. We know our Lutheran Church agencies. We know they are transparent and accountable. They are our closest partners in gospel and service. Why would we not deal with them first and foremost?  And, unless we are incredibly flush with money for such things, why would we not deal with them solely?
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Wayne Kofink

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »

About 20 years ago I heard a presentation from Food for the Poor founder Ferdinand Mahfood. I felt uneasy about the organization, though I couldn’t be specific about what was wrong. Shortly thereafter The ELCA Florida-Bahamas Synod declined to participate in Food for the Poor because the Synod couldn’t get a clear picture of the organization’s finances. A few years after that the founder resigned when it was discovered he had siphoned off large sums of money and given it to female employees he was involved with. Several RC bishops resigned from the board after that because they couldn’t answers about relationships between Food for the Poor and the Mahfood family businesses.

I understand that Food for the Poor cleaned up the mess, but the leadership is still in the hands of the Mahfood family. Some Lutheran clergy I know are involved with Food for the Poor and advocate for it, but I would prefer to work with LWR which I know and trust.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 02:50:41 PM »
Lorna, my Roman Catholic wife, supported Food for the Poor, which seemed quite legitimate to me.  I once had a pleasant dinner with one of the "weekend priest representatives."  I have chosen not to continue support to them.  I support LWR--Lutherans doing the same work.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS