Author Topic: A Blast From The Past At Your College/Seminary  (Read 1823 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: A Blast From The Past At Your College/Seminary
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
The best would be my father, Wallace Bohler.  :)

And Wally Bohler rolls another strike!  That's nice   8)

I went to grade school with a kid named Dave Kegler.  Another guy made for bowling. 

Only a tiny fraction of the amount of bowling lanes exist any more.  But I grew up a half block away from Chris' Corners on Teutonia and Silver Spring in Sudstown aka Milwaukee, and a bunch of us were able to go in off hours and get three lines for a dollar, and sometimes, pending the mood, ten lines for a dollar.  Some of the lanes then still had kids working as pinsetters, prior to the amazing invention called the Automatic Pinsetter. 

Dave Benke

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »
Thirty or forty years ago my father worked for a company that made wood products.  Before pin setting machines gave Brunswick a near monopoly on the pins that would work in the machines, his company made bowling pins, lots of them.  Later they also laminated (laminating wood was a company specialty) maple strips into bowling alleys.  Japan was their biggest customer.  They were building multi-story bowling alleys in those days.  Remember seeing pro-bowling on TV regularly.  Don't hear so much about bowling any more.

I don't remember much bowling during college at Concordia, Ann Arbor or Ft. Wayne, nor at Springfield where I started seminary.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
Thirty or forty years ago my father worked for a company that made wood products.  Before pin setting machines gave Brunswick a near monopoly on the pins that would work in the machines, his company made bowling pins, lots of them.  Later they also laminated (laminating wood was a company specialty) maple strips into bowling alleys.  Japan was their biggest customer.  They were building multi-story bowling alleys in those days.  Remember seeing pro-bowling on TV regularly.  Don't hear so much about bowling any more.

I don't remember much bowling during college at Concordia, Ann Arbor or Ft. Wayne, nor at Springfield where I started seminary.

I'm sure I've mentioned this somewhere, maybe not here, though.  One of the greatest athletic feats I ever witnessed had to do with bowling.  We had an intramural festival at Concordia Milwaukee (old campus) that included events of all kinds to attract widest participation. 

One of those was the Bowling Ball Control Roll.  There were lanes on 27th and State Street where the school leagues were held whose operators gave us their old worn-out bowling balls, scratches and dings.  And those were used for the Control Roll.  The concept was to roll a ball down the sidewalk on Kilbourn Avenue between say 33rd and 32nd streets and whoever could roll the straightest hardest ball that stayed on the sidewalk itself for the longest distance would be the winner.  And this is a city sidewalk with all kinds of bumps in it.  So the average was 50-75 feet. 

Up comes a guy who looked kind of like a bowling ball.  His name, in my recollection, is John Baginski.  He takes a long run, lets fly, and the ball just rolls and rolls and rolls.  It rolls the entire length of the block - maybe 250 feet (?), never wavering.  It rolls on over the curb, then into the street, then rolls UP the curb on the other side of the street in the next block for another 30-40 feet before heading off. 

I do not believe that could ever have been duplicated.  Of course, it most likely was never tried.  I think we gave John the bowling ball.  IBut it was amazing, simply amazing.

Not to put in a downer, but later Jeffrey Dahmer lived on that next block. 

Dave Benke

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »
My first job except for News Carrier (at age eight) was as a pinsetter. I had to get a Social Security card before starting work. I was probably 10 or 11. It was hard work. I'm always kind of relieved that pin setting machines have enlarged unemployment in this field, although today child labor laws would probably prohibit what I did to maintain my standard of living and my bike.  ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

PlainOldPastor

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »
I do not remember anyone bowling in my Seminary days.

I do have a 13 year old with a 218 average. Is bowling a Division 1 scholarship sport?

218 is definitely stellar, Dan.  You should investigate a D1 deal - maybe Notre Dame?

Dave Benke

My cousin attended Univ. of Nebraska on a bowling scholarship.

bookpastor/Erma Wolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • "I'll think about it tomorrow." Scarlett O'Hara
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 07:07:52 PM »
I was attending the installation service of the New England Synod bishop, who had been the pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in New Haven, CT, while in my first semester at Yale Divinity School. I was part of the choir. As we were waiting downstairs in the church in New Haven (I think it was Trinity Lutheran), I realized that the church had a bowling alley. First time I had ever seen that. It was also the first time I got to hear Bishop James Crumley of the Lutheran Church in America preach (though I did not get to meet him). It was a wonderful service and one I look back on fondly (especially as I learned how to sing "Come Holy Ghost Our Souls Inspire" from the choir director, who wanted us to support the congregation in singing this chant-hymn). 

I don't know if Bishop Crumley could bowl.   8)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 07:10:26 PM by bookpastor/Erma Wolf »
Better is a handfull of quiet, than two hands full of toil and a chasing after the wind.  Eccl. 4:6
  "God gave us family so we wouldn't have to fight with strangers." CNN pundit.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 08:28:56 PM »
I was attending the installation service of the New England Synod bishop, who had been the pastor of Bethesda Lutheran Church in New Haven, CT, while in my first semester at Yale Divinity School. I was part of the choir. As we were waiting downstairs in the church in New Haven (I think it was Trinity Lutheran), I realized that the church had a bowling alley. First time I had ever seen that. It was also the first time I got to hear Bishop James Crumley of the Lutheran Church in America preach (though I did not get to meet him). It was a wonderful service and one I look back on fondly (especially as I learned how to sing "Come Holy Ghost Our Souls Inspire" from the choir director, who wanted us to support the congregation in singing this chant-hymn). 

I don't know if Bishop Crumley could bowl.   8)

All Bishops can bowl.   8)

There were lanes at St. Martini Lutheran on the South Side of Milwaukee.  Just a whiff of vermouth.

Dave Benke

cdmue

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:14 PM »
At Concordia, Bronxville, there was a two lane bowling alley in the basement of the gym. I can't remember anyone using it while I was a student there (1953-1958).  The gym, which was built with the assistance of student labor (brick laying), was finished in 1928, a date that I somehow recall as important. My Dad (George Mueller) was part of that student body for the six years of his pre-seminary education.  I recall a tunnel from the gym to Bohm Hall, which was a dormitory for prep students.  Now it is the Chapel/Auditorium.  I can't recall if the overhead track is still in place. 
Dave Mueller   Bronxville Prep-1956 and JrColl-1958 

Dave Benke

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »
At Concordia, Bronxville, there was a two lane bowling alley in the basement of the gym. I can't remember anyone using it while I was a student there (1953-1958).  The gym, which was built with the assistance of student labor (brick laying), was finished in 1928, a date that I somehow recall as important. My Dad (George Mueller) was part of that student body for the six years of his pre-seminary education.  I recall a tunnel from the gym to Bohm Hall, which was a dormitory for prep students.  Now it is the Chapel/Auditorium.  I can't recall if the overhead track is still in place. 
Dave Mueller   Bronxville Prep-1956 and JrColl-1958

No track there now.    But I'm going to hunt down some pics of that bowling alley next time I'm up there.  The campus hosts the Atlantic District offices, but I mostly stay south of the bridges to and from the mainland these days, on one of our various islands - Long, Manhattan, Staten, Randall's, Roosevelt, City, Riker's.

Dave Benke

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:27:40 PM »
Zion in North St Louis (Sieck was pastor) had a bowling alley.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

SomeoneWrites

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2016, 12:50:20 AM »
A few things...

218 at 13 is amazing.  I've never crested 200.  Granted I've never had any mentoring.  But I know people who are all about it that have never broken 200. 

Bowling seems to bring people together in a way I haven't seen any other sport or competition.  This thread is a good example.

Bowling is one of those sports that you don't even have to be competitive about it if you don't want, and can just toss a ball down a lane and get back to the conversation. 

Dave Barry, to paraphrase, said bowling is the greatest invention other than beer - and only because beer pairs better with pizza.  Of course, one could have all three...

LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »

On my vicarage at Trinity Lutheran Church in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, my wife and I participated
in a mixed doubles bowling league of this church.  The league bowled every other Sunday night
from Oct to April and was sanctioned by the American Bowling Congress.  Since my vicarage
bishop and his wife were in the league, he encouraged us to join up for the 12 team league.
The teams were picked from a hat so that the fellowship would be genuine.  Due to the supreme
bowling skills of our partner couple, my wife and I were on the 1st place team

Bowling is a casual sport, there is no time limit set by the clock like football, basketball, and hockey.
You can talk to people on the opposing team without any problems.  The scoring is done automatically
and you can focus on throwing a 16 lb ball down the oiled lanes.  What else is there to do in Fergus
Falls on a cold winter night?  Bowling is all about fellowship and occasionally striking it rich.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2016, 10:23:25 AM »

On my vicarage at Trinity Lutheran Church in Fergus Falls, Minnesota, my wife and I participated
in a mixed doubles bowling league of this church.  The league bowled every other Sunday night
from Oct to April and was sanctioned by the American Bowling Congress.  Since my vicarage
bishop and his wife were in the league, he encouraged us to join up for the 12 team league.
The teams were picked from a hat so that the fellowship would be genuine.  Due to the supreme
bowling skills of our partner couple, my wife and I were on the 1st place team

Bowling is a casual sport, there is no time limit set by the clock like football, basketball, and hockey.
You can talk to people on the opposing team without any problems.  The scoring is done automatically
and you can focus on throwing a 16 lb ball down the oiled lanes.  What else is there to do in Fergus
Falls on a cold winter night?  Bowling is all about fellowship and occasionally striking it rich.

My first call was to a dual parish, about 50 miles from Fergus Falls.  And, to us, Fergus Falls (or Alexandria, also about 50 miles away) was the big city -- they had an actual McDonald's and both WalMart AND KMart!