Author Topic: Election followup.  (Read 96767 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Election followup.
« Reply #885 on: December 15, 2016, 12:27:24 PM »
Pastor Fienen writes:
The only people that you find worth listening to are your contemporaries from the ELCA.  A waste of your time and attention to suggest that anyone other than your group have anything worth listening to.

I muse:
Where did I ever say that? You are way off base.
Among the authors who have always been close at hand during my ministry. Gustav Aulen, Gustaf Wingren, Arthur Carl Piepkorn (You've heard of him), George Forell (LCA, I know, but hardly a radical), Edmund Schlink, our Dr. Luther, Richard John Neuhaus (I know, formerly ELCA, but previously LCMS and later Roman Catholic), and some others of various traditions.
I even read Walther (way back in time), but did not find him compelling.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #886 on: December 15, 2016, 02:05:53 PM »
I have taken issue with some of the Repristination homage on the Missouri side of the aisle, whereby what is printed and read must be from either the ancient Confessors, our personal Ur-Confessor Walther, or (to a lesser degree) the Church Fathers.  No one else need apply, with the possible exception of Robert Preus.  Stuff has happened in the interim, and contemporary wrestlings should also be parsed, no?

That being said, most Protestant Christians in my catchment zone, as well as my parishioners as I hear them articulate their practices, are doing the overwhelming majority of their reading in this other volume called The Bible. 

And somehow they manage to limp along just on the strength of the Word of God, which self-describes as "alive and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division between bone and marrow, soul and spirit, discerning the innermost thoughts of the heart."

Dave Benke

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: December 15, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
Like the Good Samaritan, the parable of the treasure in the field is also about Christ.  That is, He is the One who gives all and buys the whole field (He redeems the whole world with His Self-sacrifice) in order to have the treasure (the Church).  Same with the parable of the pearl -- YOU are so precious and valuable to God that He sold everything (again, a reference to Christ's Self-sacrifice) just to have you as His own.

That's another interpretation.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: December 15, 2016, 03:10:32 PM »
Like the Good Samaritan, the parable of the treasure in the field is also about Christ.  That is, He is the One who gives all and buys the whole field (He redeems the whole world with His Self-sacrifice) in order to have the treasure (the Church).  Same with the parable of the pearl -- YOU are so precious and valuable to God that He sold everything (again, a reference to Christ's Self-sacrifice) just to have you as His own.

That's another interpretation.

And the correct one.  :)

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: December 15, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »

Indeed, as we learned from Sunday School. Then some grow up and become so smart that they must question and quibble about nearly everything Biblical. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."

And if Martin Luther hadn't questioned what he learned in Sunday School and in the monastery and university, we wouldn't have had the Reformation.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: December 15, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »

Indeed, as we learned from Sunday School. Then some grow up and become so smart that they must question and quibble about nearly everything Biblical. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools."

And if Martin Luther hadn't questioned what he learned in Sunday School and in the monastery and university, we wouldn't have had the Reformation.

:o :o This makes about as much sense, BPS.

If my Dad had been killed on Okinawa in the battle for Hacksaw Ridge, I wouldn't be here and wouldn't have had a chance to learn in Sunday School.

http://deadline.com/2016/12/hacksaw-ridge-veteran-son-letter-mel-gibson-1201871327/

Please, try to focus.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

aletheist

• Greek aletheia = truth
    • View Profile
    • Catechism Devotional
« Reply #891 on: December 19, 2016, 05:41:58 PM »
Texas just made it official--Donald Trump has received a clear majority of the actual votes in the Electoral College (304).  Ironically, the two "faithless" Trump electors in Texas who voted for John Kasich and Ron Paul were more than offset by four "faithless" Clinton electors in Washington who cast three votes for another former Secretary of State, Colin Powell, and one for Native American activist Faith Spotted Eagle.
Jon Alan Schmidt, LCMS Layman

"We believe, teach and confess that by conserving the distinction between Law and Gospel as an especially glorious light
with great diligence in the Church, the Word of God is rightly divided according to the admonition of St. Paul." (FC Ep V.2)

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: December 19, 2016, 06:08:39 PM »
Texas just made it official--Donald Trump has received a clear majority of the actual votes in the Electoral College (304).  Ironically, the two "faithless" Trump electors in Texas who voted for John Kasich and Ron Paul were more than offset by four "faithless" Clinton electors in Washington who cast three votes for another former Secretary of State, Colin Powell, and one for Native American activist Faith Spotted Eagle.

A few other electors tried to cast votes for someone other than Trump or Clinton.  A Maine elector tried to vote for Sanders.  The chair ruled the vote out of order.  The elector then complied with state law and voted for Clinton.  A Minnesota elector also was ruled to be "faithless" and therefore was replaced by an alternate who voted for Clinton.  The same thing apparently happened in Colorado.  There may be other examples.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:17:00 PM by James_Gale »

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: December 19, 2016, 07:18:01 PM »
7 dumped Clinton. 2 dumped Trump. If she were not the vile lite weight Lady Macbeth that she is, I would almost feel sorry for her. Snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

RogerMartim

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Vede que grande amor nos tem concedido o Pai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: December 19, 2016, 09:47:29 PM »
So Donald Trump was elected President of these United States today by the Electoral College. It's interesting that it was a fourth story down on NBC news this evening. The cold weather beat his ascension to the throne. God bless America that we now have a bunch of billionaires appointed to cabinet posts and most of whom have no idea what their posts are all about. Rick Perry as Secretary of Energy?

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:56 PM »
7 dumped Clinton. 2 dumped Trump. If she were not the vile lite weight Lady Macbeth that she is, I would almost feel sorry for her. Snatching defeat from the jaws of defeat.

NYT says 5 dumped Clinton.
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: December 19, 2016, 10:47:43 PM »

NPR 7. So which Liberal/Progressive fetish object to believe?
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: December 19, 2016, 11:06:57 PM »
Ya. You would think the MSM would at least get the vote correct. Sigh
Chuck Ruthroff

I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it. —George Bernard Shaw

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
I'm  just trying to imagine how badly the mainstream media  would be reacting if the shoe were on the other foot and Trump supporters were trying to undo the election in the electoral college.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: December 19, 2016, 11:29:51 PM »

In Texas, one elector voted for Kasich and one for Paul.  In Washington, three electors voted for Powell and one for a native-American activist.  One Hawaii elector voted for Bernie.  One elector in each of Colorado, Minnesota, and Maine tried to vote for someone other than Clinton.  However, because of state law, each either ultimately did vote for Clinton or stepped aside in favor of an alternate who did.  So, seven electors succeeded in voting for someone other than the winner of the state/district popular vote.  Three tried and failed to do so.