Author Topic: Floor Committee 3: Mercy  (Read 2133 times)

prsauer

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Floor Committee 3: Mercy
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:00:03 PM »
Rolling right along...

For those at home - they don't provide coffee for you here, in lieu of that they crank the air conditioning down to about walk-in refrigerator cold.

Resolution 3-01. To support the work of LCMS Disaster Response. There is no financial impact. You have no excuse. If you vote against this resolution you are a bad person. There... I said it... it needed to be said.

Two men who had homes and communities that were destroyed and were served by LCMS disaster response.

A delegate rises to ask for unanimous consent. The chair wants people to be able to vote.

Rather than this, the vote is held by show of hands. The 30 or so no votes mysteriously disappear...

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Floor Committee 3: Mercy
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »
I stand corrected. There appears to have been 1 person who raised their hands - timidly perhaps to escape view, but at least they held the timid courage of their convictions. Nevertheless, they should have their voting privileges revoked and be publically shamed....

Resolution 3-02 To Commend National Housing Support.
No financial cost to this. Should be another no brainer.

The delegate from Ferguson Missouri (one of a small handful of African American delegates here - the convention is significantly whiter than even the 95% demographics of the church body), to speak in favor of the resolution and the impact that it has had on his and his family's community in St. Louis. Applause follows.

Voice vote. No opposing votes - amazing how anonymity emboldens the 30 or so frequent dissenters. I am sure there is a lesson about sin somewhere in there.

prsauer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 06:30:58 PM »
305A To give thanks to God for Lutheran Immigration and Refuge Service (LIRS), Lutheran Services in America (LSA), and Lutheran World Relief (LWR)

This one could be contentious:
1. We are talking about inter-Lutheran agencies
2. Immigration is a contentious issue for some.

The heads of all three agencies are here which should make the discussion particularly awkward.

The A here is for a change in the following resolved to soften the language from "encourage congregations and individuals to remain supportive of and involved in the mercy work of LIRS, LSA, and LWR" to "Encourage congregations and individuals, guided by their Christian consciences, to consider support of and involvement in the mercy work of LIRS, LSA, and LWR."

First speaker, a pastor in Wisconsin, speaks against LIRS and its immigration policies - particularly as it has led Minnesota to be "hotbed for domestic terrorism', further criticism about the amount of money LIRS receives from the government without much vetting.

Second speaker why are we encouraging giving to LWR when we have LCMS World Relief.

Third speakers against the tax funding to the tune of 60 Million dollars in tax money LIRS received (not sure if it is 10 million or 60 million)

Fourth speaker cites scripture in support of this.

Fifth speaker speaks in favor of this as a child of WWII refugees.

Sixth speaker president of the Pacific SW district speaks in favor of the resolution and the powerful impact that it can have on their congregations.

Seventh speaker in favor of the resolution. His congregation is made up of significant numbers of refuges.

Eight speaker, Kurt Senske, CEO of Lutheran Social Services of the South (or whatever name it is now rebranded as), describes the joint work that they and LIRS are doing along the border and the trauma that the refugees face.

As an aside it seems to me that neither side is really addressing each other. Wonderful stories about the work that is occurring don't really seem to be addressing the concerns that the initial speakers (vetting, govt. funding, etc.).

Up against the orders of the day. Call to end debate - which occurs with 89% of the vote.

Resolution 3-05 now goes to a vote. Passes with 76% of the vote.

So much angst over a resolution which has no weight whatsoever (which kind of makes you wonder why it was even presented given so much time that was spent on it.

And we are done now for the day as we move to evening prayer.

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
Loving the commentary so far, Pr. Sauer. Thanks for doing this!

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 07:32:50 PM »
I stand corrected. There appears to have been 1 person who raised their hands

He or she should have been disqualified for trying to vote twice.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:35:14 PM »
I stand corrected. There appears to have been 1 person who raised their hands - timidly perhaps to escape view, but at least they held the timid courage of their convictions. Nevertheless, they should have their voting privileges revoked and be publically shamed....

Resolution 3-02 To Commend National Housing Support.
No financial cost to this. Should be another no brainer.

The delegate from Ferguson Missouri (one of a small handful of African American delegates here - the convention is significantly whiter than even the 95% demographics of the church body), to speak in favor of the resolution and the impact that it has had on his and his family's community in St. Louis. Applause follows.

Voice vote. No opposing votes - amazing how anonymity emboldens the 30 or so frequent dissenters. I am sure there is a lesson about sin somewhere in there.

I am most happy to hear of this vote.  Great work, Nicole Ridley!

Dave Benke

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:41:13 PM »
305A To give thanks to God for Lutheran Immigration and Refuge Service (LIRS), Lutheran Services in America (LSA), and Lutheran World Relief (LWR)

This one could be contentious:
1. We are talking about inter-Lutheran agencies
2. Immigration is a contentious issue for some.

The heads of all three agencies are here which should make the discussion particularly awkward.

The A here is for a change in the following resolved to soften the language from "encourage congregations and individuals to remain supportive of and involved in the mercy work of LIRS, LSA, and LWR" to "Encourage congregations and individuals, guided by their Christian consciences, to consider support of and involvement in the mercy work of LIRS, LSA, and LWR."

First speaker, a pastor in Wisconsin, speaks against LIRS and its immigration policies - particularly as it has led Minnesota to be "hotbed for domestic terrorism', further criticism about the amount of money LIRS receives from the government without much vetting.

Second speaker why are we encouraging giving to LWR when we have LCMS World Relief.

Third speakers against the tax funding to the tune of 60 Million dollars in tax money LIRS received (not sure if it is 10 million or 60 million)

Fourth speaker cites scripture in support of this.

Fifth speaker speaks in favor of this as a child of WWII refugees.

Sixth speaker president of the Pacific SW district speaks in favor of the resolution and the powerful impact that it can have on their congregations.

Seventh speaker in favor of the resolution. His congregation is made up of significant numbers of refuges.

Eight speaker, Kurt Senske, CEO of Lutheran Social Services of the South (or whatever name it is now rebranded as), describes the joint work that they and LIRS are doing along the border and the trauma that the refugees face.

As an aside it seems to me that neither side is really addressing each other. Wonderful stories about the work that is occurring don't really seem to be addressing the concerns that the initial speakers (vetting, govt. funding, etc.).

Up against the orders of the day. Call to end debate - which occurs with 89% of the vote.

Resolution 3-05 now goes to a vote. Passes with 76% of the vote.

So much angst over a resolution which has no weight whatsoever (which kind of makes you wonder why it was even presented given so much time that was spent on it.

And we are done now for the day as we move to evening prayer.

Weak tea.  I am not happy with the weakened resolution. 

Dave Benke

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Are we to understand the 3-05 passed with the words "consider support" rather than "remain supportive" of LIRS, LSA and LWR?

When a delegate asked why support LWR when we have LCMS World Relief were delegates informed that LCMS World Relief traditionally forwarded about 50% of funds received to LWR? The reason for this is that LWR works in areas that LCMS is not always prepared to respond to disasters.  Also, the LCMS  does not have persons similarly trained to establish long term projects in many parts of the world.   Sadly the percentage forwarded to LWR by LCMS World Relief has declined in recent years. 

Mark_Hofman

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 01:34:57 PM »
Are we to understand the 3-05 passed with the words "consider support" rather than "remain supportive" of LIRS, LSA and LWR?

When a delegate asked why support LWR when we have LCMS World Relief were delegates informed that LCMS World Relief traditionally forwarded about 50% of funds received to LWR? The reason for this is that LWR works in areas that LCMS is not always prepared to respond to disasters.  Also, the LCMS  does not have persons similarly trained to establish long term projects in many parts of the world.   Sadly the percentage forwarded to LWR by LCMS World Relief has declined in recent years.

Part of that, Mrs. Meyer, is because there was a significant drop off in undesignated contributions to LCMS World Relief and Human Care in the months following restructuring, when both the Board for World Relief and Human Care and Board for World Missions were dissolved.  The issue of how to encourage contributions for humanitarian work without the 'brand' of LCMS World Relief and Human Care in the new structure, unsettled committed friends of LCMS World Relief and Human Care.  People who are generous in spirit prefer stability, not confusion.

That is being addressed by resurrecting the 'brand' LCMS World Relief and Human Care in concert with the word "Mercy" because Mercy was intended to convey the ongoing commitment to human care work.  The familiar is coming back so that people can continue in that joyful spirit of generosity, but without the operations board and structure that existed pre-2010 Convention. 

Changes have also happened on the Lutheran World Relief side, which go beyond my authority to comment on here.

That said, the LCMS does provide LWR with grants to do work internationally where we ourselves to not have boots on the ground or the connections needed to be effective in relief and human care work.  Those grants are increasingly very targeted and deliberate, such as one made in the wake of the Nepal earthquake, rather than general subsidy of another nonprofit's operation.  We have work ahead of us still to do in clarifying the distinction between LWR and LCMS Mercy/World Relief and Human Care so that those who contribute are directing their gifts to the partner they really want to support.

prsauer

• View Profile
Re: Floor Committee 3: Mercy - Wednesday updates
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 04:54:25 PM »
Yakimow does it again he found a Virginia Alum and completely distracted me from my work - I missed the resolution from the floor which has to do with pro-life issues. As with most pro-life issues in the LCMS it passes with 95% of the vote. I believe it created a task force to study life, cloning, fetal tissue research, etc. issues. Someone who was paying attention help me out. And someone else get Yakimow out of here...

Harry Edmon

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Floor Committee 3: Mercy - Wednesday updates
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 05:08:28 PM »
Yakimow does it again he found a Virginia Alum and completely distracted me from my work - I missed the resolution from the floor which has to do with pro-life issues. As with most pro-life issues in the LCMS it passes with 95% of the vote. I believe it created a task force to study life, cloning, fetal tissue research, etc. issues. Someone who was paying attention help me out. And someone else get Yakimow out of here...
According to the Convention Facebook page it was 3-04.
Harry Edmon, Ph.D., LCMS Layman