Author Topic: Change In How Christians Choose Churches  (Read 5169 times)

SomeoneWrites

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Change In How Christians Choose Churches
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2016, 01:47:10 PM »

It's the license tracking that I'm not willing to farm out to volunteers.

Ugh. 

I'm guessing it would not be well received, but I'd probably go to a public domain only  liturgy/hymns.  If I was still in the system, I would probably be leading a movement to change CPH payment structures for LCMS churches. 
LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2016, 05:41:18 PM »

We don't have a secretary either, but I do our bulletins.

We had a fabulous paid secretary, but I generally "did the bulletins" (that is, I prepared the copy; she did the duplication, folding, stuffing, etc.). I found that it didn't really take much longer just to do it myself than it did to mark up a model for her to retype. She did the license tracking, kept track of the hymns so that we had a record of what we had sung and how often, etc. I imagine I spent an hour a week on it, not much time in the scheme of things. Maybe a little more when the season changed and I made some changes in the template accordingly. And it helped me to really walk through the liturgy in this way; often I'd tweak things along the way (I don't mean change the liturgy; more likely choose a different hymn), or discover connections that I wouldn't have seen otherwise which might then inform my preaching.

It's fairly simple. I was doing it and turned it over to a volunteer. There are only two websites we have to access. They are listed in the footnotes for each copyrighted song: either OneLincense.com or LicenSingonline.org. The volunteer goes to the site, signs in, enters the songs and the date, and she's done. In fact, she's away for a couple of months, so I e-mailed her the hymns for the last four weeks, so she can enter them from her own computer thousands of miles away.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »

We had a fabulous paid secretary, but I generally "did the bulletins" (that is, I prepared the copy; she did the duplication, folding, stuffing, etc.). I found that it didn't really take much longer just to do it myself than it did to mark up a model for her to retype. She did the license tracking, kept track of the hymns so that we had a record of what we had sung and how often, etc. I imagine I spent an hour a week on it, not much time in the scheme of things. Maybe a little more when the season changed and I made some changes in the template accordingly. And it helped me to really walk through the liturgy in this way; often I'd tweak things along the way (I don't mean change the liturgy; more likely choose a different hymn), or discover connections that I wouldn't have seen otherwise which might then inform my preaching.

It's fairly simple. I was doing it and turned it over to a volunteer. There are only two websites we have to access. They are listed in the footnotes for each copyrighted song: either OneLincense.com or LicenSingonline.org. The volunteer goes to the site, signs in, enters the songs and the date, and she's done. In fact, she's away for a couple of months, so I e-mailed her the hymns for the last four weeks, so she can enter them from her own computer thousands of miles away.

I know it's fairly simple to do.  I do it myself.   I had a bad experience with a volunteer who was using the cut and paste method, simply pasting the same acknowledgement every week regardless of the song used. 
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »

I can understand that, but note that I didn't farm it out to volunteers, but to my very efficient and capable church secretary.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Harvey_Mozolak

• View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2016, 07:28:23 PM »
the church is like many other businesses today
started out in the 70s with my mimeo and typewriter doing the bulletin by myself
larger parishes and got a secretary who did bulletin with mimeo and typewriter
the advent of the copier and the computer
back to doing the bulletin by myself and even can by pass the secretary and send directly to the copier...   

what with cell phones and all today... I wonder if the church secretary is also a fading profession...
altho someone has to open the door for the trades to come in and give estimates on the furnace and replacing the ceiling fans....
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2016, 10:29:54 PM »

I can understand that, but note that I didn't farm it out to volunteers, but to my very efficient and capable church secretary.

Right.  I had said earlier that I didn't have a secretary, but I didn't make that clear in my reply to you. 
David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?