Author Topic: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths  (Read 9077 times)

LutherMan

Poll: Obama, Clinton most admired
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 12:54:28 PM »
http://www.thelutheran.org/article/article.cfm?article_id=12955

Americans’ most admired man and woman in the world are — once again — President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. This was Clinton’s 14th time at the top, the record for number of years leading the list for either men or women.

In the Gallup Poll’s “Most Admired List” released Dec. 28, Donald Trump tied Pope Francis for the No. 2 spot. Malala Yousafzai, who won the Nobel Prize as an activist for women’s education, came second on the women’s list.

As often happens in these open-ended polls, those behind No. 1 have barely a fraction of the votes. While 17 percent of those surveyed named Obama and 13 percent Clinton, 5 percent named Trump and the pontiff, as well as Yousafzai. After that, the names in the men’s race are in a statistical tie: Sen. Bernie Sanders, Bill Gates, Dalai Lama, Billy Graham (59th time on the list), George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson.

Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama were tied for third among women, followed by Carly Fiorina in a tie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Queen Elizabeth. Following them were Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Ellen DeGeneres and Sarah Palin.

Fletch

Re: Poll: Obama, Clinton most admired
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
http://www.thelutheran.org/article/article.cfm?article_id=12955

Americans’ most admired man and woman in the world are — once again — President Barack Obama and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. This was Clinton’s 14th time at the top, the record for number of years leading the list for either men or women.

In the Gallup Poll’s “Most Admired List” released Dec. 28, Donald Trump tied Pope Francis for the No. 2 spot. Malala Yousafzai, who won the Nobel Prize as an activist for women’s education, came second on the women’s list.

As often happens in these open-ended polls, those behind No. 1 have barely a fraction of the votes. While 17 percent of those surveyed named Obama and 13 percent Clinton, 5 percent named Trump and the pontiff, as well as Yousafzai. After that, the names in the men’s race are in a statistical tie: Sen. Bernie Sanders, Bill Gates, Dalai Lama, Billy Graham (59th time on the list), George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson.

Oprah Winfrey and Michelle Obama were tied for third among women, followed by Carly Fiorina in a tie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Queen Elizabeth. Following them were Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Ellen DeGeneres and Sarah Palin.

We are doomed!  The poll results sound like something Pogo would have come up with.   ;)

... Fletch

LutherMan

Re: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 01:18:14 PM »
Why on earth would The Lutheran report this?

bookpastor/Erma Wolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • "I'll think about it tomorrow." Scarlett O'Hara
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 02:04:38 PM »
State: We’ll release the rest of Hillary’s e-mails … after New Hampshire’s primary

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/267495-clintons-emails-to-be-released-as-thousands-more-are-delayed

If she's convicted, it won't matter how well she does in the Democrat Party's Primary elections. And, if she's defeated in the Primaries anyway and can't win the nomination, then the movement to try and convict her will lose a lot of momentum. On top of that, the FBI is already pushing for an indictment, which would make the timing of the release of emails moot.

Being a convicted felon is no bar to running for President, or from serving as President. In fact, you can run for President while behind bars. It's been done before, by Eugene V. Debs in the 1920 Presidential election. You just may not be able to vote for yourself (or anyone else, for that matter), depending on the state.
http://www.history.com/topics/eugene-v-debs 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:06:35 PM by bookpastor/Erma Wolf »
Better is a handfull of quiet, than two hands full of toil and a chasing after the wind.  Eccl. 4:6
  "God gave us family so we wouldn't have to fight with strangers." CNN pundit.

bookpastor/Erma Wolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2016, 02:07:45 PM »

Why did you?

::)
Better is a handfull of quiet, than two hands full of toil and a chasing after the wind.  Eccl. 4:6

Steverem

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 02:40:26 PM »

Being a convicted felon is no bar to running for President, or from serving as President. In fact, you can run for President while behind bars. It's been done before, by Eugene V. Debs in the 1920 Presidential election. You just may not be able to vote for yourself (or anyone else, for that matter), depending on the state.

And by Lyndon LaRouche in 1992, if memory serves.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2016, 02:55:05 PM »
We've been here before, LutherMan: http://104.244.124.69/~alpbadmin/Forum/index.php?topic=6186.msg389714#msg389714

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

DeHall

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2016, 03:07:54 PM »

And by Lyndon LaRouche in 1992, if memory serves.

....And Leonard Peltier in 2004.

LutherMan

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
We've been here before, LutherMan: http://104.244.124.69/~alpbadmin/Forum/index.php?topic=6186.msg389714#msg389714

Peace,
Michael
Guss I didn't click your link, just took your word for it at the time...

LutherMan

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 03:27:38 PM »

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
Interesting perspective on the life and career of Hillary Rodham Clinton from the early days and forward. She is about love and kindness.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/hillary-clinton-wants-to-talk-to-you-about-love-and-kindness#.urnL8Xe1
Norman Teigen

George Erdner

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2016, 08:51:12 PM »
State: We’ll release the rest of Hillary’s e-mails … after New Hampshire’s primary

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/267495-clintons-emails-to-be-released-as-thousands-more-are-delayed

If she's convicted, it won't matter how well she does in the Democrat Party's Primary elections. And, if she's defeated in the Primaries anyway and can't win the nomination, then the movement to try and convict her will lose a lot of momentum. On top of that, the FBI is already pushing for an indictment, which would make the timing of the release of emails moot.

I wasn't suggesting that she wouldn't legally be allowed to run. I was suggesting that if convicted, she wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being elected, and so the Democrat Party would get rid of her faster than George McGovern dropped Tom Eagleton, even though McGovern said he was 1000% behind Eagleton.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama protect himself by pardoning her. That would also make her unelectable, even though it wouldn't legally prevent her from running.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2016, 10:23:15 AM »
Pardon?  What nonsense.
Norman Teigen

bookpastor/Erma Wolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2016, 10:32:30 AM »
    As one who has lived in Iowa since 2010, this is the first time I will attend a caucus where there is a contest for the nominee of the Democratic party. While the Republican circus contest has gotten a lot of attention, especially in my northwest corner of Iowa (I work in Sioux County, the most red and conservative of the red and conservative counties, not only in Iowa, but in much of the country), the contest among the Democratic contenders is also important. So I am glad the impending snowstorm will hold off until late Monday night/Tuesday morning so that the first real indication of how actual voters might choose can be determined, spun, discussed, dismissed, and puzzled over. Then on to New Hampshire! (And please take all of your ads, phone calls, and junk mail with you. I could wallpaper a not-so-small room with all of the flyers that have filled my post office box in the past month.)

I am glad that I do not live in the same community that the congregations I serve are in. Being that public about my party registration is not something I am really comfortable with, and especially in this year with so much polarization around personalities and politics. As it is, I consulted my husband (also a pastor) and asked if attending the caucus in the community where the congregation he serves is located would cause any difficulties. He just laughed and said that he expected that most of the others I would see in the Democratic caucus room would be members of his congregation. He even told me I could say "Hi" from him!

And if you are so inclined, please include in your prayers some for the political process in our country, in Iowa and elsewhere. I can't cite it off the top of my head, but I remember that Luther included good government as one of the blessings from God. For all the jokes, the Iowa caucuses are local democracy in action, and a precious freedom to speak, agree and disagree, and express a preference for the one who may become the President of this nation. I'm glad I get to experience it.

Team Hesse

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
Pardon?  What nonsense.

Agreed. She should not be pardoned.

Lou