Author Topic: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths  (Read 9082 times)

bookpastor/Erma Wolf

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • "I'll think about it tomorrow." Scarlett O'Hara
    • View Profile
Re: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2016, 10:50:16 AM »
Pardon?  What nonsense.

Agreed. She should not be pardoned.

Lou

Especially since she hasn't even been indicted.  And may not be.

(I recognize that the pardon given by President Ford to his predecessor, President Nixon, was given to someone who had not been convicted, or even yet indicted, of any of the criminal offenses with which he may have been charged with following his resignation. But I would argue that that was a highly unusual and unique situation. To begin to use the power of the Presidential pardon to prevent cases from being brought to trial would risk unraveling the Constitutional authority that such pardons possess, and would only make this nation even more cynical about those in elected office (if that is indeed possible).)
Better is a handfull of quiet, than two hands full of toil and a chasing after the wind.  Eccl. 4:6
  "God gave us family so we wouldn't have to fight with strangers." CNN pundit.

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2016, 11:03:41 AM »
The recent revelations concerning the emails is cause for concern.  If the reports from the State Department (not just figments of Republican or Fox News imagination) turn out to be well founded, that there were several emails that contain material so highly classified that even now they cannot be made public even redacted, there is some substance to these concerns.  If they were not classified when they ended up in her email server and they contain material this sensitive, why weren't they classified?

Now concerns are not the same as indictments, much less convictions. 
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

George Erdner

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Pardon?  What nonsense.

Agreed. She should not be pardoned.

Lou

I never suggested that she should be pardoned. She should be indicted, tried, convicted, and locked up. But Democrat Party politics seldom operate on what should happen. Democrat Party politics operates based on what actions produce a particular desired outcome.

When it was clear that Richard Nixon was going to be impeached, Hugh Scott and other GOP leaders in Congress went to him and persuaded him to resign. He chose to figuratively "fall on his sword" for the good of his party, and the nation. The current Democrat politicians in office, and the one seeking the Presidency, don't have that sort of regard for the good of the nation. And so, I predict that there is a possibility (though I'm not placing odds) that Obama will throw Hillary under the bus for the good of the Democrat Party by pardoning her. Obama could make the same claim that Gerald Ford made when he pardoned Nixon, that it was to put a sordid piece of history to rest so that the nation could move on. Some folks believed that when Ford said it. Most did not. That's why Jimmie Carter was elected President in 1976.

Would anyone believe Obama if he pardoned Hillary to "put the episode behind us so we could move on", or would they see it as a transparent attempt to protect his own rear end? I imagine those who currently believe Obama's body waste has no odor would believe him. I would not. But, from a political manipulation perspective, it would effectively take Hillary out of the race, so that they could persuade Joe Biden to come in and block Bernie Sanders. Most hardcore Democrats think the same things about former independent Sanders as Republicans think about Donald Trump. They want a REAL Democrat as their candidate, just as the GOP wants a REAL Republican as theirs.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
This is all sheer foolishness.  Nice endorsement of Hillary Clinton will appear in tomorrow's New York Times.  Suggested reading for all.
Norman Teigen

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2016, 07:47:39 PM »
This is all sheer foolishness.  Nice endorsement of Hillary Clinton will appear in tomorrow's New York Times.  Suggested reading for all.
I could be wrong because I haven't double-checked, but I don't think the NYT has endorsed a Republican in my lifetime. They might have written their endorsement of Hillary for this election the day after Obama won the nomination in 2008.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »

In other news, I heard we landed on the moon.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Team Hesse

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »

There was an investigation years ago when the Clintons were just coming on the radar. Seems Ms Clinton disclosed one year that she had made $100,000 trading in the cattle markets in Chicago. Seems she had taken a position in cattle futures for something like one day and had made that amount of money. Nothing, of course, could be proven, but one wonders how a novice trader could make such a shrewd move in their first exposure to the rough and tumble world of commodity trading. The Clintons were of course, long time friends of pork and beef magnate and Arkansas native Don Tyson. Very shrewd operators.

Lou

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
I could be wrong because I haven't double-checked, but I don't think the NYT has endorsed a Republican in my lifetime. They might have written their endorsement of Hillary for this election the day after Obama won the nomination in 2008.

The last Republican they endorsed was Eisenhower.  Well before my lifetime, at least.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Fletch

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »

The last Republican they endorsed was Eisenhower.  Well before my lifetime, at least.

I thought for sure someone would have known Teddy R.

... F

RevG

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2016, 09:29:08 PM »

Funny because Hillary talks a lot like a Republican, at least of the neocon variety, but hey what do I know?

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2016, 09:41:19 PM »

Funny because Hillary talks a lot like a Republican, at least of the neocon variety, but hey what do I know?
Can't answer your question with any degree of certainty, but I'd be interested to know the names of Republicans you think sound like Hillary.

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »
Here is the NY Times' "Republican endorsement" for this year's primary:  http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/opinion/sunday/a-chance-to-reset-the-republican-race.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Fletch

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2016, 04:28:31 PM »
Interesting to look at the space given to the candidates (both Rep and Dem) in those two NYT articles.  Obviously, they support Hillary - the lost email and "non-secure US secrets and throw Benghazi employees under the bus" candidate.  Do you smell bias?   ;)

... F

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2016, 07:09:06 PM »
Interesting to look at the space given to the candidates (both Rep and Dem) in those two NYT articles.  Obviously, they support Hillary - the lost email and "non-secure US secrets and throw Benghazi employees under the bus" candidate.  Do you smell bias?   ;)

... F

Well, I smell partisan preference, at least.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS