Author Topic: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths  (Read 9073 times)

Boris

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Democrats: the Persons, the Myths
« Reply #165 on: February 21, 2016, 08:53:55 PM »
I would love to meet Pastor Austin in person someday.  I think I would enjoy his wit and humor.  Plus, even when I disagree with him, he always makes me think.  I appreciate people that challenge my thinking and my presuppositions. What a boring universe it would be if everyone agreed with me.

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 21, 2016, 09:32:41 PM »
And the craziness continues.  I first met Pastor Austin on line and then I have since visited with him on several occasions, in New Jersey and here in Minnesota.  I have attended one of his singing group concerts in New Jersey.  He is a brilliant and witty man who is extremely personable.  Lighten up, people.

Others, have said the same, while wondering why he can't be witty and personable on this forum.  (Before you reply that only rabid LCMSers dislike him, you might ask yourself why there are so few moderate ELCAers on this forum anymore.)

I met Pr. Austin when he did supply at our congregation.  He is engaging - both in his style of leading worship and an excellent sermon - as well as in personal conversation.

Some of us more moderate ELCA folk need to take breaks from time to time as we grow weary of being harangued as an apostate church body.   

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:39 PM »
The behavior of an individual in person is no guarantor of online behavior.  IOW - Pastor Austin may be an absolutely charming gentleman of the first order in person, but that does not (or at least should not) excuse boorish and rude behavior on these forums.

I may be perfectly delightful online and an insufferable jerk in person... you just never know!   ;D   (well, some of you do... you can decide for yourself whether you agree or not)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:16:08 AM by Keith Falk »
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

DCharlton

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 21, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
And the craziness continues.  I first met Pastor Austin on line and then I have since visited with him on several occasions, in New Jersey and here in Minnesota.  I have attended one of his singing group concerts in New Jersey.  He is a brilliant and witty man who is extremely personable.  Lighten up, people.

Others, have said the same, while wondering why he can't be witty and personable on this forum.  (Before you reply that only rabid LCMSers dislike him, you might ask yourself why there are so few moderate ELCAers on this forum anymore.)

I met Pr. Austin when he did supply at our congregation.  He is engaging - both in his style of leading worship and an excellent sermon - as well as in personal conversation.

Some of us more moderate ELCA folk need to take breaks from time to time as we grow weary of being harangued as an apostate church body.

And some of us more moderate ELCA folk have experienced the rudeness and insults.  Just to give a few examples.  Charles has posted things about me that he found on the internet as a way to question my integrity.  He has insulted me in numerous ways, including intentionally misspelling my name so that it comes out Charlatan.  He insists that those who have left the ELCA have no right to criticize the ELCA, but then insists that those of us who remain have no right to criticize our own church body, responding to any criticism with shrill charges of disloyalty. 

I have no doubt that he can be a swell guy.  Another ELCA pastor who is a frequent target of his contempt admits that Charles is a pleasant fellow in person.  But as a person who has been a frequent target of his churlish behavior, it doesn't change my opinion of his online persona.

David Charlton  

Was Algul Siento a divinity school?

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 21, 2016, 09:53:14 PM »
I wish that we could meet on line the witty, charming and personable Charles that some of you know.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 21, 2016, 10:21:44 PM »
I've met Charles twice, albeit fairly briefly both times. But I concur that I think he would be an enjoyable dinner companion.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 21, 2016, 10:38:18 PM »
The behavior a person in person is no guarantor of online behavior.  IOW - Pastor Austin may be an absolutely charming gentleman of the first order in person, but that does not (or at least should not) excuse boorish and rude behavior on these forums.

I may be perfectly delightful online and an insufferable jerk in person... you just never know!   ;D   (well, some of you do... you can decide for yourself whether you agree or not)

Amen.  8)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

Team Hesse

« Reply #172 on: February 21, 2016, 10:56:47 PM »
I would love to meet Pastor Austin in person someday.  I think I would enjoy his wit and humor.  Plus, even when I disagree with him, he always makes me think.  I appreciate people that challenge my thinking and my presuppositions. What a boring universe it would be if everyone agreed with me.

I have always said I learn more from people I disagree with. My favorite instructor in High school was/ is a quite virulent atheist. We had some fascinating discussions about theological and social issues. We live in completely different thought worlds. He believes in a fully free will, I believe we are in bondage to sin and unable to free ourselves. That differential alone put us on completely different playing fields on social issues. But our discussions were always respectful with no need to refer to lunacy, idiocy, moonbeams, or the like. YMMV.

Lou

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 21, 2016, 11:05:06 PM »
The behavior a person in person is no guarantor of online behavior.  IOW - Pastor Austin may be an absolutely charming gentleman of the first order in person, but that does not (or at least should not) excuse boorish and rude behavior on these forums.

I can assure you all that aside from one enormous character flaw*, Keith is a great guy in person. 

*  I don't want to get into too much detail.  Let's just say that the character flaw relates to Keith's Ohio roots.  If Oklahoma ever joins the Big Ten, things could get tough for him!  :)