No, but I smoke cigarettes.
1 (2.9%)
No, but I would like to start.
1 (2.9%)
No, I never have smoked.
12 (34.3%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: January 23, 2016, 09:00:24 PM

Author Topic: Pipe Smoking Poll  (Read 2678 times)

Steven W Bohler

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Pipe Smoking Poll
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:00:24 PM »
Just curious.  I find pipe smoking to help when I am writing a sermon. 

George Erdner

Re: Pipe Smoking Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 09:37:50 PM »
Just curious.  I find pipe smoking to help when I am writing a sermon.

I would imagine it might make a difference if one filled one's pipe in Colorado.

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »
Each cigar begins a new experience.  A pipe binds you to the past, as you suck the smoke through the pipe stem through which many bowls of tobacco have been drawn.  Cigars are new, fresh, and unique.  When you're done with it, you throw it away.  The pipe you keep.  Face it, Steve.  You are a stick in the mud conservative hidebound traditionalist unable to free yourself from the past.  I am a free-minded liberal.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:42:08 PM »
Cigars only.  I had a couple of pipes at one point but I never found them particularly pleasing.  Cigars, on the other hand, are quite relaxing.

If I did smoke a pipe, I'd get one of those ridiculously long Gandalf the Grey pipes.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:44:43 PM »
Given the knowledge we have that even a small amount of tobacco use in whatever form does serious harm to body and mind and to the bodies of those around, I choose not to smoke.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 12:17:06 AM »
I have never smoked any substances - and don't plan to start.
"The church had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Dan Fienen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 12:27:02 AM »
While I  gave up pipes long ago, I did find them relaxing.  It's been a long time for cigars also.  These days I only smoke brisket,  turkey  or Boston Butt.
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

Pr. Terry Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 07:16:37 AM »
Filling a pipe gives a wise man some time to reflect, it gives the foolish man something to do with his hands.
Goodnewsforabadworld.wordpress.com

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:30:25 AM »
Given the knowledge we have that even a small amount of tobacco use in whatever form does serious harm to body and mind and to the bodies of those around, I choose not to smoke.

"Knowledge" is a funny word.

"Like cigarette smoking, the risks from cigar smoking increase with increased exposure. For example, compared with someone who has never smoked, smoking only one to two cigars per day doubles the risk for oral and esophageal cancers. Smoking three to four cigars daily can increase the risk of oral cancers to more than eight times the risk for a nonsmoker, while the chance of esophageal cancer is increased to four times the risk for someone who has never smoked. Both cigar and cigarette smokers have similar levels of risk for oral, throat, and esophageal cancers. The health risks associated with occasional cigar smoking (less than daily) are not known. About three- quarters of cigar smokers are occasional smokers."

"Health risks associated with both cigars and cigarettes are strongly linked to the degree of smoke exposure. Since smoke from cigars and cigarettes are composed of many of the same toxic and carcinogenic (cancer causing) compounds, the differences in health risks appear to be related to differences in daily use and level of inhalation.

Most cigarette smokers smoke every day and inhale. In contrast, as many as three-quarters of cigar smokers smoke only occasionally, and the majority do not inhale."

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/documents/cancersurvivor/files/cigar.pdf

I'm not saying there is zero risk associated with cigar smoking, but "knowledge" of "serious harm to the body and mind" from "even a small amount of tobacco use" is a load of Grade A horse squeeze.  Let's just be honest.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 09:05:34 AM »
You left out this choice lead paragraph:
"Scientific evidence has shown that cancers of the oral cavity (lip, tongue,
mouth, and throat), larynx, lung, and esophagus are associated with cigar
smoking. Furthermore, evidence strongly suggests a link between cigar
smoking and cancer of the pancreas. In addition, daily cigar smokers,
particularly those who inhale, are at increased risk of developing heart and
lung disease. "
And, yes, frequency is a factor. But the risks remain.

Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Article coming up in Lutheran Forum journal. Now would be a good time to subscribe.
😉

RDPreus

• View Profile
    • Christ For Us
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »

I smoke one cigar a day, usually with a glass of good Scotch whiskey.  I never inhale.  In the summer, I smoke outdoors.  In the winter, I smoke in the smoking lounge (garage) heated, if necessary, with a propane powered space heater.  Only smokers enter the smoking lounge when we are smoking.  Cigar smokers and pipe smokers that I know show consideration for the health of non-smokers.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 09:14:49 AM »
The study cited above lays out the health risks of daily cigar smoking.
And, unfortunately, the cigar smokers I see around are selfish boors, walking the streets or standing on sidewalks fouling the air for about 10 feet in every direction.
😉

Randy Bosch

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 09:18:22 AM »
The study cited above lays out the health risks of daily cigar smoking.
And, unfortunately, the cigar smokers I see around are selfish boors, walking the streets or standing on sidewalks fouling the air for about 10 feet in every direction.

Is streetwalking or loitering a big problem in your little town, or do you encounter that only in the "world metropolis" of New York?
Is one enough to do the job, or do you find crowds of them wandering about?
How do you encourage them to behave in a manner that you find non-boorish?  ;)

Voelker

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 09:20:22 AM »
♫ Puritans and pietists / ♬ leeching the fun out for everyone... ♫

Did you know that everyone who has died since the beginning of 2016 has been exposed to AIR!!!!! Stop breathing before it's too late!

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 09:44:18 AM »
It's really rather amazing. Those with no tolerance for any deviation in doctrine have all kinds of tolerance for health-risk incursions into the lives of others.
But we are at a dead end here, think I.
😉