Author Topic: Donald Trump: The Man And The Myth  (Read 64460 times)

Dan Fienen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump: The Man And The Myth
« Reply #480 on: January 22, 2016, 01:55:58 PM »
Say what you will about the positions that Bernie Sanders takes,  I'm not a big fan,  but I like his taste in music as in a recent commercial.   I'm a Simon and Garfunkel fan from way back.  But I  wonder if that'll be a problem for Bernie?  He is trying to appeal to the young idealistic vote.   Aren't they likely to ask Simon and Garfunkel who?  Doesn't using their song,  no matter how iconic, immediately nominate Bernie for geezer hood?
Pr. Daniel Fienen
LCMS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 22, 2016, 02:10:39 PM »
Say what you will about the positions that Bernie Sanders takes,  I'm not a big fan,  but I like his taste in music as in a recent commercial.   I'm a Simon and Garfunkel fan from way back.  But I  wonder if that'll be a problem for Bernie?  He is trying to appeal to the young idealistic vote.   Aren't they likely to ask Simon and Garfunkel who?  Doesn't using their song,  no matter how iconic, immediately nominate Bernie for geezer hood?

That music keeps the old hippie vote locked down for Bernie.  On election day, Trump will be 70, Clinton will be 69, and Sanders will be 75.  Age for me is not quite a absolute disqualifier.  But close.  My father is 79 and in great shape.  He skis, led the family up a 14er in Colorado this summer and is still sharp as ever.  But he doesn't have the energy or focus he once did.  In 2008, he said that he didn't support McCain's decision to run because McCain was too old.  McCain is 6 months younger than my father.

The presidency is a heavier burden than any of us can imagine.  Age obviously affects different people differently.  But it does matter.  To me, at least.  The voters as a whole don't seem to care.

(For context, Reagan was 69 when elected.  Age was an issue in 1984, although he still won 49 states.  Can you imagine any candidate of any party winning an LBJ/Reagan magnitude landslide today?  I can't.)

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2016, 02:52:12 PM »
Why Trump Is Winning Over Christian Conservatives

http://time.com/4189587/donald-trump-christian-conservatives/

I'll see your Time, and raise you a National Review.   :o

http://c7.nrostatic.com/article/430126/donald-trump-conservatives-oppose-nomination
RNC boots National Review from co-hosting debate after “Against Trump” issue
http://hotair.com/archives/2016/01/22/rnc-boots-national-review-from-co-hosting-debate-after-against-trump-issue/

The RNC obviously had no choice.  I'm surprised that the National Review didn't withdraw on its own.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 22, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »
The RNC obviously had no choice.  I'm surprised that the National Review didn't withdraw on its own.
Maybe, maybe not.  They did make their disdain more explicit than NBC, but I'm not sure their partisanship is much different than Fox News kind of being in the tank for Trump.

It is somewhat relevant to question his Republican sincerity, since he apparently never voted in a Republican primary before.  (Not that that should be a candidate requirement, but the fact doesn't exist in a vacuum.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:42:08 PM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Dana Lockhart

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 22, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »

I think this is one of the areas where millennials think differently than boomers...

The ad works on its own without any need to think about who is performing the background music. It's like sampling in rap or pop music: incorporating a chunk of existing music into a new song/video. So there are people who know who Simon and Garfunkel are and who may appreciate knowing the original context of the song. But those who don't aren't likely to care. I myself had never heard the song before seeing the video: what I saw was an ad that is hopeful, upbeat, and speaks to the support Bernie has across the country.  In other words, (almost) nobody is going to ask "Simon and Garfunkel who?"

As to Bernie being a "geezer"... I just don't see that becoming an issue. He incredibly popular with young democrats (polls suggest far more popular than Hillary with those under 45). I'm 33 and I serve a campus ministry, and the sense I am getting from (left-leaning) students and others under 40  is that Bernie is popular because he is speaking directly to issues that are at the top of the list of concerns for young adults. Moreover, millenials tend to be concerned first and foremost with authenticity... and Bernie is certainly authentic. I think it's better for a candidate to own who they really are (e.g. aging 60's activist) than to try to construct an identity/image to appeal to a younger demographic.

Btw. There's a lesson in that for the church too. Any church that asks "how can we be more appealing to young people" is asking a counterproductive question.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:47:21 PM by Dana Lockhart »

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 22, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »

The presidency is a heavier burden than any of us can imagine.  Age obviously affects different people differently.  But it does matter.  To me, at least.  The voters as a whole don't seem to care.

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm 66, and the thought of taking on the presidency (not that anyone has asked me to) is just appalling to me. At my age, I wouldn't be up to it--and I'm in good health. I look at Hillary and the rest and think, "WHY on earth, at your age, would you even consider this?"

Except on the days when I think, "Who are these young whippersnappers who think they're ready to be President? They're younger than I am!"  8)
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

George Erdner

« Reply #487 on: January 22, 2016, 06:23:05 PM »
Bernie Sanders is popular with everyone who wants lots of free stuff and doesn't begin to understand simple arithmetic.

Keith Falk

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 22, 2016, 06:44:05 PM »
Donald Trump is popular with raging racists who don't understand limited government.
Rev. Keith Falk, STS

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: January 22, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
Now fellas . . .
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 23, 2016, 05:26:06 AM »
For those not inclined to read through the National Review critique of Trump, this video may help illustrate why many conservatives are suspicious of what Trump might actually do as president.   

Team Hesse

« Reply #491 on: January 23, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »
Donald Trump is popular with raging racists who don't understand limited government.

"Limited government" has become an oxymoron on all sides of the aisle.....

Lou (wants to read more Burke)

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:09 AM »
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2016/01/22/A-Squirrel-Hill-man-s-obituary-offers-one-unusual-request-pittsburgh-cohen/stories/201601220219

“Jeffrey would ask that in lieu of flowers, please do not vote for Donald Trump,” said the newspaper obituary that began appearing in the Post-Gazette Wednesday, three days after Mr. Cohen’s unexpected death from an apparent heart attack at age 70.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 08:30:53 AM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Matt Hummel

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 23, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »
Now fellas . . .

Richard- I see your point, but both Keith & George aren't exactly stretching the truth.
Matt Hummel

“The chief purpose of life, for any of us, is to increase according to our capacity our knowledge of God by all means we have, and to be moved by it to praise and thanks.”

― J.R.R. Tolkien

George Erdner

« Reply #494 on: January 23, 2016, 09:07:05 AM »

"Limited government" has become an oxymoron on all sides of the aisle.....

Lou (wants to read more Burke)

Only politics has exceeded organized Protestant denominations in the adoption of ridiculous euphemisms and buzzwords. Take "racism". It used to mean something. Now it is a catch-all phrase used to describe any antipathy towards any group of people for any reason, totally unrelated to the races of any of the people involved. It's one of those knee-jerk, automatic epithets thrown around willy-nilly that sound especially damning but that have come to mean absolutely nothing. If one member of the Caucasian race can be called a "racist" because of his antipathy towards other Caucasians, then the word is meaningless. If someone is called a "racist" because of antipathy towards a group of people of mixed race that includes many members of his own race, and the only common thread linking the members of the group is engagement in a common, illegal action, then "racist" has no meaning.

"Limited Government" is another. Our nation was founded on a blueprint for governance that is based on a Federal system. According to the Constitution, there are government activities that are deemed appropriate for the central Federal government to be responsible for, and other activities that are to be handled by the States individually. And, there are activities that are not to be handled by the government at all, but left to the people. There is also a process listed in the Constitution for amending it should the people want to shift certain activities from the states to the central Federal government. It's all very clearly spelled out in plain English.

It seems almost every collection of people into any sort of special interest group wants their pet causes to be championed by "the government", while all other pet causes of other special interest groups that the government handles are "too much government". Almost no one is principled enough to advocate the Federal Government getting its nose out of issues that should be left to the states if that issue is something they feel strongly about. Murder is not listed by the Constitution as a Federal issue, and so there are 50 unique, individual laws in each state forbidding it. Abortion should also be a state issue. Someone who opposes abortion and who is also a true conservative who wants a strict following of the Constitution should be advocating 50 separate state laws banning the murder of babies in the womb. Yet no matter how conservative and strict-constitutionalist anyone is, it is extremely rare to see any conservative say that the position of a Presidential candidate on abortion is irrelevant because it is not a Federal issue.

There is also a serious separation of powers in a well crafted pattern of checks and balances between the three branches of government carefully outlined in the Constitution. How many activists, pundits, or bloggers have ever really condemned the way Presidents have usurped the powers that are supposed to belong to Congress, unless it's a Presidential action that they disagree with?

Finally, in fora such as this one, not ever post can be an entire book. That means that sometimes limited points will be made by posting pithy, "bumper sticker" style comments. One of the most churlish, unhelpful, and just plain annoying practices in fora like this is attacking those pithy comments for not including 47 different disclaimers, exceptions, and explanations.