Author Topic: Advent Devotions  (Read 796 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Advent Devotions
« on: November 23, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
We just got in the mail today a shipment of Advent 2020 devotionals by Will Weedon. Excellent resource! The combination of creativity and substance, depth and readability far exceeds the typical Advent devotional pamphlet.

They're available the asking and any size donation and came to us within about three days of being ordered.  Just search thewordendures.org

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
Re: Advent Devotions
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:36:06 PM »
We just got in the mail today a shipment of Advent 2020 devotionals by Will Weedon. Excellent resource! The combination of creativity and substance, depth and readability far exceeds the typical Advent devotional pamphlet.

They're available the asking and any size donation and came to us within about three days of being ordered.  Just search thewordendures.org

I went to the site and searched on "Advent" but came up empty.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 06:56:44 PM »

I went to the site and searched on "Advent" but came up empty.
Hmmm. Maybe Will can chime in with better instructions.

Weedon

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »
Richard,

It should show up as a popup at that site when you first go to it. But in any case, an email to contact@thewordendures.org would also do the job.

Here’s a preview: https://youtu.be/NfXHhQyLXjc

Peter,

Thanks for the plug and the kind words.

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 10:14:41 AM »
Sharing the following, not as an alternative to to Rev Weedon’s Word of the Lord Advent 2020 devotion series, as an additional and complementary Advent/Christmas 2020 devotional resource.

Now, At the Last, and Unto Eternity – Advent 2020 Devotions

This year we are hoping to use Advent to help Lutherans focus on the Last Things and specifically the comfort that can be derived from the news of our Lord’s coming return in glory. The devotion also includes devotions for each day of the Christmas season as well.

‘Now, At the Last, and Unto Eternity – Advent 2020 Devotions’ is available in paperback, for Kindle, as well as a free pdf that can be loaded in Apple Books and possibly other tablet readers.

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »
It was good to see Pastor Weedon in action reading his devotions.  I've known Pastor Weedon to be an Advent guy for many years.  I've learned from him about the 'O' carols.  For another good choice in Advent devotions. see https://download.elca.org/ELCA%20Resource%20Repository/Advent_Devotions.pdf

These four devotions are the work of the presiding bishops of the ELCA, ELCA in Canada, The Anglical Church in Canada, and The Episcopal Church. 

I recommend Pastor Weedon and the bishops for Advent readings.

I will be downloading the four Advent cantatas of Bach from You Tube later today. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:11:20 AM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

Julio

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Still awaiting the Certified Election Results!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 11:24:42 AM »
It was good to see Pastor Weedon in action reading his devotions.  I've known Pastor Weedon to be an Advent guy for many years.  I've learned from him about the 'O' carols.  For another good choice in Advemt devotions. see https://download.elca.org/ELCA%20Resource%20Repository/Advent_Devotions.pdf

These four devotions are the work of the presiding bishops of the ELCA, ELCA in Canada, The Anglical Church in Canada, and The Episcopal Church. 

I recommend Pastor Weedon and the. bishops for Advent readings.
Pastor Weedon speaks of the ‘O Antiphons’ here.

Interestingly enough, I recommended Pastor Weedon’s Word of the Lord Advent devotions as I recommended Now, At Last, and Unto Eternity Advent/Christmas Devotion. 

Any reason Mr Teigen overlooked the same courtesy and omitted recommending Now, At Last, and Unto Eternity?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:36:03 PM by Julio »