Author Topic: Texas student: Teacher taught ‘God is not real’
  (Read 617 times)

SomeoneWrites

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Texas student: Teacher taught ‘God is not real’

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 12:56:36 PM »
Right idea, purely in the sense of a critical thinking challenge.  Wrong time, wrong place, and particularly unwise way to go about challenge students to think critically. 

LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist

readselerttoo

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 02:16:34 PM »
For that question to be posed assumes the position of the observer who can stand outside God and make a decision for or against God's existence.  It assumes the position of usurping God's exclusive position to exercise God's rightful and only place as the final judge. To switch places with God and become the one who takes over God's rightful and exclusive position as Creator and Judge is to call God impotent.  Under those conditions the creature/observer has underwritten his own liability for death and it is proven in that the only course he has as sinner is death.

George Erdner

SomeoneWrites

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:30:35 PM »
Right idea, purely in the sense of a critical thinking challenge.  Wrong time, wrong place, and particularly unwise way to go about challenge students to think critically.

flip it around:  A Christian teacher forces a student to admit that there is a God, and they would be instantly censured/suspended and/or fired.   

Right idea or not.

Yeah, I don't approve of either in that context.  I do think there are places in academia for challenging questions.  And that's what I meant by "right idea."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwXS3UIUPYA

I woulda dropped the egg.  But I probably wouldn't have said anything the professor said in that context or in those words either. 
LCMS raised
LCMS theology major
LCMS sem grad
Atheist