Author Topic: Why is the forum broken?  (Read 4907 times)

Charles Austin

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
Re: Why is the forum broken?
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2015, 07:35:55 PM »
I get in, but it requires two extra clicks, thereby placing undue strain on my finger and mouse. But I shall try to reset a bookmark, once my finger and mouse recover from the added strains of making two clicks to enter the forum.
Then there is the problem on my Ipad, where I have to enter my user name and password again. More strain.
I think I need a pill.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2015, 12:04:05 PM »
I get in, but it requires two extra clicks, thereby placing undue strain on my finger and mouse. But I shall try to reset a bookmark, once my finger and mouse recover from the added strains of making two clicks to enter the forum.
Then there is the problem on my Ipad, where I have to enter my user name and password again. More strain.
I think I need a pill.

I'm very sorry for your pain.  :-X
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

exegete77

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • Believe, teach, and confess
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2015, 06:06:54 PM »
Still unable to see the forum correctly, only text lines, not easy to navigate or see. And still have to log in every time.
Rich Shields (TAALC)

Blessed to be a blessing; forgiven to be forgiving
believe, teach, and confess

LutherMan

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »
Still unable to see the forum correctly, only text lines, not easy to navigate or see. And still have to log in every time.
Your post came up clearly and looks normal.  Try CTRL + to enlarge the text.  Which browser and OS are you using?

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2015, 08:38:09 PM »
Your post came up clearly and looks normal.  Try CTRL + to enlarge the text.  Which browser and OS are you using?

It works if you are using the URL http://104.244.124.69/~alpbadmin/Forum and have set the "default" theme for viewing.  If you follow the link on the main ALPB page (http://alpb.org/Forum/index.php), you'll have to log in every time. 

And if you are reading past posts with links within the forum (a recent example is currently at http://104.244.124.69/~alpbadmin/Forum/index.php?topic=6028.msg381416#msg381416), those links no longer work. 

And if you are coming in via links in a Google search (which heretofore had been much more useful than SimpleMachine's internal search function), they take one to http://alpb.org/forum-package/, though one can get to the intended post by manually kludging the link. 

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:04 PM »
Times when I've logged out by mistake, I've got back in via my browser's "History," clicking on the most recent successful connection. Everything comes back OK.

Peace,
Michael
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:41:58 PM by Michael Slusser »
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

FrPeters

• An Obedient Rebel
    • View Profile
    • Grace Lutheran Church Website
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2015, 10:22:24 AM »
I have tried every browser (from Firefox to Safari), tried three computers, my iPad, my iPhone, and followed hints on this thread but the forum is broken and extremely frustrating to read and nearly impossible to post.  I guess I will be visiting this forum much less frequently. . . but then few will miss me.  Let me know if it ever gets fixed.
Fr Larry Peters
Grace LCMS, Clarksville, TN
http://www.pastoralmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2015, 10:38:44 AM »
FWIW, I have not had one problem with logging in or posting. Is someone not telling me something?

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2015, 10:52:06 AM »
I too have had little problem on my desktops after the first day or so. I simply made a new bookmark for the topic list page.

My Kindle tablet and phone (Safari) still take me to the "Forum Package" page only, so it takes a couple more clicks to get to the topic list page.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

George Erdner

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2015, 10:55:16 AM »
After some minor issues, it is working for me exactly as it used to on Google Chrome.

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2015, 10:55:24 AM »
I too have had little problem on my desktops after the first day or so. I simply made a new bookmark for the topic list page.

My Kindle tablet and phone (Safari) still take me to the "Forum Package" page only, so it takes a couple more clicks to get to the topic list page.

Do folks pay for the internet based on page clicks?

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2015, 10:58:30 AM »

M. Staneck

:) I don't think so, but it did put Charles in a funk for a few days. He's back to his old self now.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

George Erdner

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »

M. Staneck

:) I don't think so, but it did put Charles in a funk for a few days. He's back to his old self now.

I though Chuck's "old self" was always pretty funky.

LutherMan

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2015, 11:32:48 AM »
  I guess I will be visiting this forum much less frequently. . . but then few will miss me.  Let me know if it ever gets fixed.
I will miss you...

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
I though Chuck's "old self" was always pretty funky.

Charles is old. He can't help but be an "old self."
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]