Author Topic: Planned Parenthood  (Read 35443 times)

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Planned Parenthood
« Reply #315 on: October 12, 2015, 08:40:46 AM »
From Jennifer Bendery, Congressional correspondent for Huffington Post – Oct. 8, 2015
(Emphasis added – CA)
   WASHINGTON -- Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said Thursday that the GOP's investigation into Planned Parenthood's use of federal funds hasn't turned up anything. "Did I look at the finances and have a hearing specifically as to the revenue portion and how they spend? Yes. Was there any wrongdoing? I didn't find any," he said during a Judiciary Committee hearing on the family planning provider.
    Chaffetz, a candidate for House speaker, grilled Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards during a five-hour hearing last week. He questioned her salary, asked about the organization's expenses and revenues, and pressed Richards on why the group had revenue of $127 million last year if it's a nonprofit. (Nonprofits put their revenues back into their programs.)
    But after all that, he concluded that Planned Parenthood isn't doing anything sketchy with its money. "Did we find any wrongdoing? The answer was no," Chaffetz said.
   His concession will be music to Democrats' ears, who have long accused Republicans of trying to sink Planned Parenthood because they oppose abortion. The women's health care provider gets about $500 million a year in federal funds, but federal law prohibits any of it from being used for abortions. Instead, the money is used to subsidize a range of health care services for low-income women, including birth control, cancer screenings and tests for sexually transmitted diseases.
   Republicans have been ramping up their attacks on Planned Parenthood after anti-abortion activists released heavily edited undercover videos a few months ago that purported to show the family planning provider selling fetal tissue after abortions. Multiple state investigations and a federal investigation have so far been unable to find any facts to support that claim.
   Planned Parenthood, which legally accepts money to cover the costs of transporting donated fetal tissue to medical researchers, has slammed the videos as "deceptively edited" and denies any wrongdoing.
   Chaffetz said Thursday that he still supports digging into Planned Parenthood's activities, even if they're using their money appropriately. "I think there will continue to be investigations," he said.
The fact that this source calls the videos "heavily edited" shows they are more interested in propaganda than truth. All the full length videos have been released and examined as well. They are hiding nothing. As it was an undercover operation, they edited out the parts where they were traveling to and from the clinics, waiting around, going to the bathroom, etc. Nothing, absolutely nothing, of any pertinence whatsoever was omitted or edited to be misleading.

The fact that the article is all about the political parties involves shows that that it is simply partisan. It is more interested in the Democrat/Republican aspect of the matter than whether or not Planned Parenthood should receive taxpayer funding.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 08:42:18 AM by peter_speckhard »

PlainOldPastor

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 12, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »
"Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than human beings!"

But you go right ahead and keep defending this "legal" practice, Charles.

Steverem

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »
From Jennifer Bendery, Congressional correspondent for Huffington Post – Oct. 8, 2015
(Emphasis added – CA)
   WASHINGTON -- Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, said Thursday that the GOP's investigation into Planned Parenthood's use of federal funds hasn't turned up anything. "Did I look at the finances and have a hearing specifically as to the revenue portion and how they spend? Yes. Was there any wrongdoing? I didn't find any," he said during a Judiciary Committee hearing on the family planning provider.
    Chaffetz, a candidate for House speaker, grilled Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards during a five-hour hearing last week. He questioned her salary, asked about the organization's expenses and revenues, and pressed Richards on why the group had revenue of $127 million last year if it's a nonprofit. (Nonprofits put their revenues back into their programs.)
    But after all that, he concluded that Planned Parenthood isn't doing anything sketchy with its money. "Did we find any wrongdoing? The answer was no," Chaffetz said.
   His concession will be music to Democrats' ears, who have long accused Republicans of trying to sink Planned Parenthood because they oppose abortion. The women's health care provider gets about $500 million a year in federal funds, but federal law prohibits any of it from being used for abortions. Instead, the money is used to subsidize a range of health care services for low-income women, including birth control, cancer screenings and tests for sexually transmitted diseases.
   Republicans have been ramping up their attacks on Planned Parenthood after anti-abortion activists released heavily edited undercover videos a few months ago that purported to show the family planning provider selling fetal tissue after abortions. Multiple state investigations and a federal investigation have so far been unable to find any facts to support that claim.
   Planned Parenthood, which legally accepts money to cover the costs of transporting donated fetal tissue to medical researchers, has slammed the videos as "deceptively edited" and denies any wrongdoing.
   Chaffetz said Thursday that he still supports digging into Planned Parenthood's activities, even if they're using their money appropriately. "I think there will continue to be investigations," he said.
The fact that this source calls the videos "heavily edited" shows they are more interested in propaganda than truth. All the full length videos have been released and examined as well. They are hiding nothing. As it was an undercover operation, they edited out the parts where they were traveling to and from the clinics, waiting around, going to the bathroom, etc. Nothing, absolutely nothing, of any pertinence whatsoever was omitted or edited to be misleading.

The fact that the article is all about the political parties involves shows that that it is simply partisan. It is more interested in the Democrat/Republican aspect of the matter than whether or not Planned Parenthood should receive taxpayer funding.

Yep.  Planned Parenthood says in their talking points that the videos were "heavily edited," without providing any examples of this, and far too many media outlets parrot the claim.  Much like the (completely wrong) talking point that PP provides mammograms (not one PP facility in the country does so) being repeated as fact ad infinitum.  At best, it is horrendously bad journalism, and at worst, it hints at collusion.  Certainly the journalist in our midst can recognize that.

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #318 on: October 12, 2015, 11:32:25 AM »
I am not "defending" anything. I am simply, as do some others here, posting some information. And, as expected, the substance of that information was quickly and summarily dismissed and discredited.
Nothing new in that.
The fact that Planned Parenthood clinics may not have machines to do mammography is a quibble. The clinics, according to the organization, do provide breast exams and refer women to other clinics where mammograms are available. Planned Parenthood says that in 2010, its medical staff performed more than 700,000 "breast exams/breast care" procedures. And there are similar numbers for cervical cancer screenings and tests.
Repeat. I am not defending anything that Planned Parenthood does, although there are things it does - like providing contraceptive information and products - that I would defend.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:39:01 AM by Charles Austin »
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Michael Slusser

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 12, 2015, 11:57:54 AM »
I am not "defending" anything. I am simply, as do some others here, posting some information. And, as expected, the substance of that information was quickly and summarily dismissed and discredited.
Nothing new in that.
The fact that Planned Parenthood clinics may not have machines to do mammography is a quibble. The clinics, according to the organization, do provide breast exams and refer women to other clinics where mammograms are available. Planned Parenthood says that in 2010, its medical staff performed more than 700,000 "breast exams/breast care" procedures. And there are similar numbers for cervical cancer screenings and tests.
Repeat. I am not defending anything that Planned Parenthood does, although there are things it does - like providing contraceptive information and products - that I would defend.
The linked article is exactly as you delivered it.
At the end of the article is a question: "Care About This? Take Action Right Here" followed by three "action buttons":

[Action Button] Actions curated in support of better equality and sustainability for our planet. Read terms here.

The three buttons are (left) "Stand with Planned Parenthood. Sign this petition and spread the truth"
(center) "Change your Facebook and Twitter pic to show your support for Planned Parenthood in the face of continued attacks by anti-women's health extremists"
(right) "Millions - like me! - are standing with #Planned Parenthood. VIDEO: youtu.be/sQaa2jO1vWE (cc: @PPAct) #IStandWithPP #SRHR

Those are the only choices offered to those who "care about this." I think I detect a sense of being persecuted.

Peace,
Michael
Fr. Michael Slusser
Retired Roman Catholic priest and theologian

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 12, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »
Holy Scripture is absolutely clear that God creates life in the
womb of the mother.

"Just as you do not know how breath  comes to the bones in
the mother's womb, so you do not know the work of God, who
makes everything."  Eccl. 11:5  (NRSV)

"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you and before you
were born I consecrated you."   Jeremiah 1:5  (ESV)

"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my
mother's womb.  I praise  you because I am fearfully and
wonderfully made, your works are wonderful."   Psalm 139: 13,14 (NIV}

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 12, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
Nothing new in that.

If a doctor claimed he did brain surgery and when confronted with the facts, replied he made referrals for brain surgery, would you still defend his claim? 

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 12, 2015, 01:35:39 PM »
Those are the only choices offered to those who "care about this." I think I detect a sense of being persecuted.

Well, it is the Huffington Post.

spt+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 12, 2015, 01:45:17 PM »
Pastor Bohler, if a bear craps in the woods and there's no one there to smell it, is it still crap?

Charles: Pr. Bohler made an analogy that seems to me to have some merit and you respond to it with a snarky answer.  The question isn't about bear crap, it is about whether or not a public and frequently published statement by an organization that receives money from our government should have to withstand a reasonable amount of scrutiny. 
Trying to be retired but failing

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: October 12, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »
Nothing new in that.

If a doctor claimed he did brain surgery and when confronted with the facts, replied he made referrals for brain surgery, would you still defend his claim?

Other than your deleted post, do you have any other response to my question?

PlainOldPastor

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 12, 2015, 04:36:43 PM »
The fact that Planned Parenthood clinics may not have machines to do mammography is a quibble.

It's not a quibble to a woman who needs a mammogram. 

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #326 on: October 12, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
No, Pastor Bohler, it is best that I not say anything to you or your "arguments" and "questions."
And save for the squinty of mind, P.O.P., a referral to a mammogram is the first step to the procedure, whether done right there or some distance away.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Iowa native. Oh, my. How close we were to a situation where many people with guns could’ve killed many members of Congress. The possible result? Martial law and/or Civil War. Thank God some people are still coming forward to tell the truth.

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 12, 2015, 05:26:59 PM »
No, Pastor Bohler, it is best that I not say anything to you or your "arguments" and "questions."
And save for the squinty of mind, P.O.P., a referral to a mammogram is the first step to the procedure, whether done right there or some distance away.

All right!  I guess I can tell folks I am a surgeon, since I have made referrals for surgery.  I am a lawyer; I have referred folks to attorneys.  I am a judge, for I made referrals to judges when I worked in juvenile court.  I am an Academy Award winning actor -- I DID refer my wife to a movie that starred one.  Hey, Rev. Austin, can I also claim something higher than mere humanity since I refer my parishioners to God?

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 12, 2015, 05:55:40 PM »

All right!  I guess I can tell folks I am a surgeon, since I have made referrals for surgery.  I am a lawyer; I have referred folks to attorneys.  I am a judge, for I made referrals to judges when I worked in juvenile court.  I am an Academy Award winning actor -- I DID refer my wife to a movie that starred one.  Hey, Rev. Austin, can I also claim something higher than mere humanity since I refer my parishioners to God?

I don't know that Planned Parenthood ever made claims to doing mammograms. People supporting them said that they did. They were wrong. It may be that PP's statements about testing for breast cancer was (mis-)interpreted by supports as doing mammograms.

Perhaps like some opponents want the government to stop funding abortions through PP, when no government money given to them is spent on abortions.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 12, 2015, 05:58:12 PM »
I don't know that Planned Parenthood ever made claims to doing mammograms. People supporting them said that they did. They were wrong.

And Charles' response is that those who state that the supporters (including President Obama*) were wrong are quibbling.

*"At the second presidential debate...Obama said: 'When Governor Romney says that we should eliminate funding for Planned Parenthood, there are millions of women all across the country who rely on Planned Parenthood for not just contraceptive care. They rely on it for mammograms, for cervical cancer screenings.'"
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:19:05 PM by Pr. Don Kirchner »
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but it’s not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs