Author Topic: A Frivolous Thread: Football (v. 2.0)  (Read 40377 times)

Dave Likeness

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: A Frivolous Thread: Football (v. 2.0)
« Reply #360 on: January 14, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »
Former Minnesota Viking Head Coach Bud Grant goes to his office at the Vikings Headquarters every day.
He is in his 50th year with the Vikings organization and was excited about their chances against the Saints today.
Bud Grant got more excitement than he bargained for in this evening's Miracle In Minnesota. game.  As the Vikings
try again to win their first Super Bowl, fans of the Bears, the Packers and the Lions wish their divisional rival the best.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:32:05 PM by Dave Likeness »

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2018, 06:59:56 AM »
WTG, Vikings! Not a sports nut, am I, but this was way cool.

You betcha! I left a Manhattan restaurant in the 3rd quarter with the Vikings still leading. When I got home, they were about to loose. Suddenly, at the last second . . . ! I was a pastor in Minnesota once upon a time and have never lost the hope that one year the Vikings will finally prevail.   ;D

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:42 AM »
When I got home, they were about to loose.

And that's exactly what they did! I came in from blowing snow, and MariJo was on the phone with a friend who was lamenting the Viking loss. Disappointed, I updated my online game feed and saw the result. Bewildered, I refreshed. "No, the Vikings won!" Checked another site. "No, they really did!"

Thankfully, the replay already was all over the internet.  :-)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
Very happy for the Vikings.  But, I have to say, it kinda reminded me of this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmyLLxRNcA (I am a Packers fan, after all).

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2018, 12:28:29 PM »
We had our Cub Scout Pinewood Derby yesterday during the game....All racing and activity stopped for the last 3 minutes of the game (Is there any time span longer than the last three minutes of an NFL game that is close?)  Folks were hunched over phones and tablets...pandemonium ensued at the last play!  The I got busy because everyone visited the concession stand for a bottle of water or Soda.  Go Vikings!
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2018, 12:46:44 PM »
Having lived in Minnesota for 4 years as a pastor and 3 years in St. Louis as a seminarian
I always wondered why the Metro-Area of St. Louis could not support an NBA team or NFL
team but the Metro-area of St. Paul/Minneapolis could.

The NBA team of the St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta many, many years ago.
The NFL team of the St. Louis Rams recently moved back to L.A. and before that the St Louis
Cardinals moved to Arizona.

According to 2015 statistics, the  Metro-area of St. Louis is 2,811, 588 and the Metro area
of St. Paul/Minneapolis is 3, 866,766.  So the Minnesota Vikings have over 1 million more
potential fans than the St Louis NFL team had. 

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2018, 01:08:36 PM »
I'm just going to chime in about Pastor Likeness' most recent comment:  ST. LOUIS HAS ALWAYS SUPPORTED THE NFL TEAM IN THEIR CITY!

The Bidwill's owned the St. Louis football Cardinals and were less than competent owners.  Michael Bidwill, son of Bill, is a better, more engaged owner with the Cardinals in Phoenix than his father was in St. Louis. 

Enos Stanley Kroenke (yes, named after Enos Slaughter and Stan Musial) owns the team now, having purchased majority ownership after Georgia Frontiere's death in the mid-2000s.  Kroenke's goal was always to move the team from St. Louis to LA.  The city entered into a bad lease agreement with the Rams, and Kroenke was going to hold the city to it.  And when Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones are moving the goal posts and maneuvering behind the scenes, well, the city never had a chance. 

The dome in St. Louis was always over 90% capacity on game day.  It was a tremendous home field advantage during the "Greatest Show on Turf" era under Dick Vermeil/Mike Martz.  Under Kroenke's watch, the team was miserable...Cleveland Brown miserable and the fans still showed up.  Kroenke hired Jeff Fischer to be the coach at one point.  Why?  Because Jeff Fischer was the coach of the Houston Oilers and oversaw the move to Tennessee. 

St. Louis has always supported the football team.  They are great, passionate, knowledgeable fans who have never had much to root for.

The St. Louis Rams were stolen from them by their owner with the complicity of the commissioner of the NFL.  Stan Kroenke can rot in hell!  And so can Goodell.

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »

The St. Louis Rams were stolen from them by their owner with the complicity of the commissioner of the NFL.  Stan Kroenke can rot in hell!  And so can Goodell.
I would point out that the Rams were originally stolen by St. Louis FROM Los Angeles...except very few in that city cared at the time.  Frankly I'm not sure how many care now.  Though I have no doubt a hardy few do.  Not enough to prevent your Philadelphia Eagles from having home games this season in LA against the Chargers and Rams.  #FlyEaglesFly

The commish must be a nice man, because he was talking to that 100 year old Viking fan, right?  Perhaps she was cursing him out, just like every other NFL fan wants to.  ;)

Sterling Spatz
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:29:47 PM by MaddogLutheran »
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
@Jeremy Loesch

May the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team bring you much joy.  St. Louis is known as
"The BaseBall Capital of the Midwest".  MLB has a rich heritage of Hall of Famers from
the St. Louis Cardinals.  To name just one:  Stan the Man.

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2018, 01:36:12 PM »
Next Sunday at our congregation should be interesting...what with our young associate pastor (the free prayer guy FYI) being a Minnesota native and having survived a visit to the Linc last year when the Eagles thrashed his Vikings.  It's his turn to preach.

The senior pastor, a North Jersey native still loyal to the Yankees who nevertheless enjoys tweaking his pastoral partner, pointed out that the final verse of yesterday's recessional hymn mentioned "soaring like an eagle".  (Sorry can't remember what its title.)
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »
It was a thriller.   The Saints fans were great.  One woman congratulated me at the end of the game and kissed me on the cheek. 
Norman Teigen

Steven W Bohler

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2018, 02:58:56 PM »
Having lived in Minnesota for 4 years as a pastor and 3 years in St. Louis as a seminarian
I always wondered why the Metro-Area of St. Louis could not support an NBA team or NFL
team but the Metro-area of St. Paul/Minneapolis could.

The NBA team of the St. Louis Hawks moved to Atlanta many, many years ago.
The NFL team of the St. Louis Rams recently moved back to L.A. and before that the St Louis
Cardinals moved to Arizona.

According to 2015 statistics, the  Metro-area of St. Louis is 2,811, 588 and the Metro area
of St. Paul/Minneapolis is 3, 866,766.  So the Minnesota Vikings have over 1 million more
potential fans than the St Louis NFL team had.

Metro population of Green Bay WI: 282, 599. 

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
Very happy for the Vikings.  But, I have to say, it kinda reminded me of this play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQmyLLxRNcA (I am a Packers fan, after all).

Metro population of Green Bay WI: 282, 599.

You remind me of our resident ELCA cheerleader who needs to tout his whenever something good is said about another.
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2018, 03:38:06 PM »
I'm just going to chime in about Pastor Likeness' most recent comment:  ST. LOUIS HAS ALWAYS SUPPORTED THE NFL TEAM IN THEIR CITY!

The Bidwill's owned the St. Louis football Cardinals and were less than competent owners.  Michael Bidwill, son of Bill, is a better, more engaged owner with the Cardinals in Phoenix than his father was in St. Louis. 

Enos Stanley Kroenke (yes, named after Enos Slaughter and Stan Musial) owns the team now, having purchased majority ownership after Georgia Frontiere's death in the mid-2000s.  Kroenke's goal was always to move the team from St. Louis to LA.  The city entered into a bad lease agreement with the Rams, and Kroenke was going to hold the city to it.  And when Roger Goodell and Jerry Jones are moving the goal posts and maneuvering behind the scenes, well, the city never had a chance. 

The dome in St. Louis was always over 90% capacity on game day.  It was a tremendous home field advantage during the "Greatest Show on Turf" era under Dick Vermeil/Mike Martz.  Under Kroenke's watch, the team was miserable...Cleveland Brown miserable and the fans still showed up.  Kroenke hired Jeff Fischer to be the coach at one point.  Why?  Because Jeff Fischer was the coach of the Houston Oilers and oversaw the move to Tennessee. 

St. Louis has always supported the football team.  They are great, passionate, knowledgeable fans who have never had much to root for.

Jeremy

I feel your pain.  Greed is god.  Next up is the Raiders.  They will be in Vegas within a few years.  I thought the Chargers' move from San Diego was weird, because San Diego is really a nice place. 

As to my team, Green Bay - they will leave Lambeau the day after the Second Coming.  Not day of - people will have to be removed from the Packer Hall of Fame under duress and that will take awhile.  But that team will remain in that spot until football is no more. 

And neither the Yankees or the Rangers will ever leave New York.  Or the Knicks or, I insist, the Mets.  And I don't think the Blues will be leaving St. Louis in this millenium.  Or the Cubbies or Blackhawks Chicago.  I could envision the White Sox relocating.  Tigers/Pistons/Redwings/Lions - Michigan furderber.

Dave Benke

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

Jeremy

I feel your pain.  Greed is god.  Next up is the Raiders.  They will be in Vegas within a few years.  I thought the Chargers' move from San Diego was weird, because San Diego is really a nice place. 

As to my team, Green Bay - they will leave Lambeau the day after the Second Coming.  Not day of - people will have to be removed from the Packer Hall of Fame under duress and that will take awhile.  But that team will remain in that spot until football is no more. 

And neither the Yankees or the Rangers will ever leave New York.  Or the Knicks or, I insist, the Mets.  And I don't think the Blues will be leaving St. Louis in this millenium.  Or the Cubbies or Blackhawks Chicago.  I could envision the White Sox relocating.  Tigers/Pistons/Redwings/Lions - Michigan furderber.

Dave Benke

Bp. Benke, I agree mostly.  I don't think any fan can be 100% certain their team will always be where it is.  Now serving in KC, it's hard not to follow the Chiefs.  They have a fervent fanbase, an exciting team at the present, are an historic AFL franchise, now a stalwart in the NFL.  They have a wonderful stadium that is not that close to downtown KC.  The franchise and fans want to host a Super Bowl like Indy, Minny, Detroit have done.  But a Super Bowl is never coming to KC because the only hotel close to the stadium is a Comfort Inn, a Drury Inn, and I think a Holiday Inn Express.  You can't have a fan fest at Arrowhead Stadium.  Even if the Hunt family managed to get a retractable roof retrofitted on Arrowhead, they still won't get a Super Bowl in the largest city in Missouri.  The Chiefs need a downtown stadium in order to get a Super Bowl.  That means public financing.  And it's a good thing I am not a KC resident because I will never, and have never, voted in favor of public financing for sports arenas of any kind.  Perhaps the residents of Green Bay and Wisconsin will go for footing the bill for Lambeau II.  But I don't think fans, even of historic franchises (Bears, Packers, Chiefs, Cubs, Cardinals, etc) can ever be assured that their favorite sports team won't one day hold them hostage for a new stadium and when that public referendum goes down to ballot box defeat, won't exercise some clause in the lease agreement and take off for greener dollars elsewhere. 

Jeremy (a Redskins fan by birth, then a Rams fan because of my affinity for the baseball Cardinals, and now a resident of Chiefs Kingdom.)

PS- Rot in perdition Stan Kroenke!
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.