Author Topic: A Frivolous Thread: Football (v. 2.0)  (Read 40215 times)

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
Re: A Frivolous Thread: Football (v. 2.0)
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2017, 08:58:12 AM »
Wow, your pastoral care is so . . . well . . . Pastor Likeness.  ha ha

I haven't been able to bring myself to read or watch any college football-related news.  I'm not sure they deserve the #11 spot, but I suppose that's better news than I expected to hear.

We were able to have a mini-reunion with some family members who, unbeknownst to us, had bought tickets to the game, too.  They traveled all the way from Ohio.  We only had a four hour drive home last evening.  So there was good that came from the beat down . . . I got to see my folks, and the children's hospital wave was amazing to be a part of.  The band and fans did a great job of honoring veterans yesterday, so that was really cool.  Us Ohio football fans took comfort in the fact that we wouldn't have more heartbreak today . . . the Browns had a bye week.  ;D

Sorry for your pain.  I was actually thinking of you as a representative Buckeye fan while watching that game unfold.  They kept showing Ohio State fans weirdly painted on TV, trying to look away but forced to endure it, lone teardrops in a sea of happiness.  And you were among them! 

Dave Benke

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 06, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
Iowa fans taunting the fans of the losing team is a part of football. It's not very nice.  Several weeks ago, I ejected from the stadium a drunken home town fan who was taunting visiting fans from Wisconsin.  We'd like to think that we are Vikings, but  not barbarians. It's all about the beer.  The celebratory song of the Iowa Hawkeyes is:  "In heaven, there is no beer, that's why we drink it here." I am sure that this song was sung into the night well after Coach Meyer loaded his team on to the return flight to Ohio.
Norman Teigen

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 06, 2017, 07:49:51 PM »
  On the way there the night before, a deer hit our car. 

This is more serious than the football loss.  But doesn't it go "Car hits deer" instead of " Deer hits car".
were you carrying your hunting tags?  able to harvest some road kill? 
drive on after the incident?  you and husband okay?

best james 
still seeking revenge for the time Dec 2010 a deer totaled my MPV. It was worth less than the repair bill.

No, the deer indeed hit our car.  He ran right into the back end of it.  We were there first.  lol

The deer survived to make that crazy highway crossing again on another day.  No injuries to us, thankfully, and the damage wasn't too bad.  We did call the police, and let me just say it was a good thing we were still in our black and gold game gear from Lutheran High School South's big district championship football victory that night.  When we told them we were on our way to the Iowa game, they may not have been so nice and helpful if we had our scarlet and gray gear on.  ;D

Pastor Ken Kimball

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 06, 2017, 07:53:26 PM »
I did love the irony of hearing the announcers tout the superior athletes on the Ohio State team, saying how the Hawkeye receivers wouldn't be able to gain the separation from the Ohio State DB's to allow any passing success and conversely how Iowa's DB's wouldn't be able to cover Ohio State's receivers.  5 passing TD's and 4 interceptions later...

Before 2014, my college football cheering commitments were in this order:  the University of Minnesota (my home state--but usually an exercise in futility), the University of Michigan (where I attended 1978-1980), Iowa State (where our daughter and her husband attended and graduated from), and the University of Iowa (out of loyalty to the state where I have served as a pastor, at that point for 27 years), and then for whoever was playing against Ohio State and Michigan State.  Since 2014, the University of Iowa moved to the top of list due entirely to the fact that a wonderful young man whom I had the privilege to baptize and confirm and still be pastor to, Parker Hesse, received a scholarship from the U of I and has been the starting right defensive end for three years.  I'm now pulling for Ohio State to beat Michigan State and for the University of Michigan to beat Ohio State so that the Big 10's Eastern Division ends with four teams having a 6-2 Big 10 Record.  Of course, I'm not opposed at all to Ohio State, MSU, and Penn State each losing an additional game that would leave them 5-3 in the Big 10 and UM winning the Eastern Division 6-2--but I'm not putting any money on that. 

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 06, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
Iowa fans taunting the fans of the losing team is a part of football. It's not very nice.  Several weeks ago, I ejected from the stadium a drunken home town fan who was taunting visiting fans from Wisconsin.  We'd like to think that we are Vikings, but  not barbarians. It's all about the beer.  The celebratory song of the Iowa Hawkeyes is:  "In heaven, there is no beer, that's why we drink it here." I am sure that this song was sung into the night well after Coach Meyer loaded his team on to the return flight to Ohio.

Actually, I'm seriously considering moving to Iowa given how friendly and hospitable the majority of Iowa fans were that we came across.  lol  We were thanked on numerous occasions for making the trip.  We waited in line to see Coach Meyer and J. T. Barrett exit the buses, and the Iowa student workers were so much fun to talk to while we waited.  The bed and breakfast we stayed at had Iowa fans there, and we broke bread at breakfast together in complete peace.  One wonderful lady Iowa fan shook my hand after I stood when veterans were honored.  It was a super fun time apart from the deer messing up my beautiful Jeep and having that walk of shame out of the stadium.  I've sworn off ever buying my husband another anniversary present.  This one was an epic fail.   ;D

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 06, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
Of course, I'm not opposed at all to Ohio State, MSU, and Penn State each losing an additional game that would leave them 5-3 in the Big 10 and UM winning the Eastern Division 6-2--but I'm not putting any money on that.

Let's all cheer for any team playing Notre Dame, too, just to annoy Dr. Gard.

Daniel L. Gard

« Reply #351 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
Of course, I'm not opposed at all to Ohio State, MSU, and Penn State each losing an additional game that would leave them 5-3 in the Big 10 and UM winning the Eastern Division 6-2--but I'm not putting any money on that.

Let's all cheer for any team playing Notre Dame, too, just to annoy Dr. Gard.

Annoyed? Moi?

ND fans are used to abuse..... :)

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:14 PM »
Pastor Kimball mentions that he baptized and confirmed Parker Hesse who is  a star for the Iowa
Hawkeye football team.  There is always a sense of excitement when our parish members have
successful careers in high school and college sports. Some of the youth I confirmed went on to
be All-State in high school and got an athletic scholarship for college.  One gal I confirmed went
on to have success as a soccer player.  She set some state scoring records in high school and
got a full scholarship to DePaul University in Illinois.

Bottom Line:  Sports is still the toy department of life. 

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 24, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
How bad are the winless 0-15 Cleveland Browns this season?

Today, the major newspaper in Cleveland has removed the Browns
from the sports section.  They have been placed on the obituary page.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 05:25:29 PM by Dave Likeness »

Norman Teigen

• I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »
That's a great joke.   Browns have won only one game in two seasons.
Norman Teigen

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »
Our Buckeye Deaconess is probably not watching much football these days.
Her Ohio State Buckeyes did not make the Final Four for the College Football playoffs
and her Cleveland Browns could end the season 0-16.  However, Kim believes that
when the going gets tough, the tough get going.

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 25, 2017, 05:49:02 PM »
Her Ohio State Buckeyes did not make the Final Four for the College Football playoffs

My Wolverines have struggled for a decade or so. But some of the players (and at least one coach) will be sporting orange hair on Monday against South Carolina to raise money for the fight against a type of childhood cancer. They are at this time over $125,000.

Check it out:  [size=78%]https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/chaseforchad/chasewinovich[/size]

Buckeye Deaconess

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 26, 2017, 08:12:52 PM »

I'll be watching the Buckeyes on Friday as they take on USC.  As for the Browns, I'll continue to live out the theology of the cross in my following of them.  Maybe some year they'll turn it around.  :-\

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »
We are not allowed in our religion, the Legion of the Green and Gold, to watch the Vikings play football, to know who is on their roster, to speak of them in a positive way, or to ever give the impression of rooting for them.  They are The Others.  The are Distant.  They have No Inherent Value.

Having said all that, the last play of the Vikings/Saints game today leaves an indelible mark.  How did that happen?  It was noted that one of the players for the Vikings actually grew up in Detroit Lakes, MN.  Again, how did that happen?  The Vikings, the cruel pagan Norsemen, beat the Saints, whose logo is the Fleur de Lis, a lily, a symbol of religious hope. 

How did that happen?  In a perverse way, it was enjoyable.  North beats South.  Cold beats Warm. 

Dave Benke

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2018, 10:18:50 PM »
WTG, Vikings! Not a sports nut, am I, but this was way cool.
Retired ELCA Pastor. Parishes in Iowa, Nw York and New Jersey. LCA and LWF staff. Former journalist. Now retired, living in Minneapolis.