A Frivolous Thread: Football (v. 2.0)

Started by Daniel L. Gard, August 11, 2015, 04:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel L. Gard

Sorry that I cannot find v. 1.0 to resurrect. So, a new season, a new thread.

Here is the great news. On Sept 5, my Concordia University Chicago Cougars take the field at 1:30. At 7:30. my Notre Dame Fighting Irish take the field. What a day that will be!

And here is more great news: Showtime will chronicle the entire Notre Dame season.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13417056/show-program-chronicle-notre-dame-fighting-irish-season

David Garner

I'm looking REAL forward to my Atlanta Falcons this season.  Between drafting Vic Beasley and getting Dan Quinn as the new head coach, I think this team is ready to make some noise.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Dave Likeness

For the first time in 99 years, Notre Dame will not play
a Big Ten team.  The Fighting Irish now have a deal to
play teams from the ACC.  As they continue their trend
to schedule cupcakes the Notre Dame football team may
even schedule the Concordia University Cougars from
Chicago.  President Dr. Gard is willing to travel to South
Bend to make this game happen.

Daniel L. Gard

But you are looking forward to watching the Notre Dame Football season chronicle, right Pastor Likeness? And all the games (which, by the way, are all nationally televised).

So much good news to improve your life!!!!! :)

scott8

Quote from: Daniel L. Gard on August 11, 2015, 06:26:08 PM
But you are looking forward to watching the Notre Dame Football season chronicle, right Pastor Likeness? And all the games (which, by the way, are all nationally televised).

The ACC isn't bad.  It is quite cute in football.  Enjoy the second tier!

Daniel L. Gard

Quote from: Scott Yakimow on August 11, 2015, 08:09:21 PM
Quote from: Daniel L. Gard on August 11, 2015, 06:26:08 PM

The ACC isn't bad.  It is quite cute in football.  Enjoy the second tier!

I will still cheer for my favorite Big 10 team, the blue and yellow of Meatchicken. Of course, this is especially so when they play the Tattoos.

Jim Butler

Football, the sport that combines two of the worst things in America: violence interrupted by committee meetings.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

Jeremy Loesch

Go. Bucks.

Did I type that right? The glare of the National Championship trophy makes it hard to see the keyboard.

Jeremy

And hail to the Redskins. They'll likely stink but that's the way the ball bounces.
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

Dan_Biles

Quote from: jebutler on August 11, 2015, 10:54:05 PM
Football, the sport that combines two of the worst things in America: violence interrupted by committee meetings.

Original quote by George Will

Dave Likeness

Jeremy might be interested about a new book on the
104,944 seat stadium at Ohio State University.
It is entitled:  "Under The Bleachers" by Seymour Butts.

Jeremy Loesch

Quote from: Dave Likeness on August 12, 2015, 09:19:16 AM
Jeremy might be interested about a new book on the
104,944 seat stadium at Ohio State University.
It is entitled:  "Under The Bleachers" by Seymour Butts.

Pastor Likeness, why are you poking fun at a stadium built by Lutherans?

Jeremy

Jim Butler

Quote from: Dan_Biles on August 11, 2015, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: jebutler on August 11, 2015, 10:54:05 PM

Original quote by George Will

I knew I'd read that somewhere, but couldn't remember the reference. Thanks, Dan. Like George Will, I am a fan of baseball. That is the perfect sport.
"Pastor Butler... [is] deaf to the cries of people like me, dismissing our concerns as Satanic scenarios, denouncing our faith and our very existence."--Charles Austin

Kurt Weinelt

Quote from: Jeremy Loesch on August 11, 2015, 11:10:28 PM
And hail to the Redskins. They'll likely stink but that's the way the ball bounces.

True, but they'll probably beat the Cowboys at least once anyway!  ;)
"Learning about history is an antidote to the hubris of the present, the idea that everything in OUR lives is the ultimate." David McCullough

Jeremy Loesch

Quote from: Kurt Weinelt on August 12, 2015, 10:01:04 AM
Quote from: Jeremy Loesch on August 11, 2015, 11:10:28 PM

True, but they'll probably beat the Cowboys at least once anyway!  ;)

That would be tremendous!  The NFL is better when the Cowboys-Redskins games are meaningful.  I miss Landry v. Gibbs.  And the Hogs.  And Riggins, Theismann, Monk, Dexter Manley...  Where have you gone Babe Laufenberg?

Jeremy

Terry W Culler

If you want meaningful games, its the Ravens against the Steelers.  When they're both in the playoffs, their game is the Super Bowl, the rest of it is just ho-hum
"No particular Church has ... a right to existence, except as it believes itself the most perfect from of Christianity, the form which of right, should and will be universal."
Charles Porterfield Krauth

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk