Author Topic: Action on Renewing Worship  (Read 9300 times)

Tom_Shelley

Re: Action on Renewing Worship
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2005, 11:23:53 AM »
As for waiting it out, when this whole fiasco of Renewing Worship began the propaganda machine pontificated "the useful life of a hymnal is 20 years and the LBW is already past that".  

So let us wait until this crooked and perverse generation has passed...in twenty years or so and then we can have a real hymnal once again.

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 02:24:32 PM »
As for waiting it out, when this whole fiasco of Renewing Worship began the propaganda machine pontificated "the useful life of a hymnal is 20 years and the LBW is already past that".  

So let us wait until this crooked and perverse generation has passed...in twenty years or so and then we can have a real hymnal once again.

Can you reference that quote about "useful life"? My hunch is that the reference was to the "red book" (Service Book and Hymnal) that came out in 1958 and was replaced by the "green book" (Lutheran Book of Worship) in 1978 -- a difference of 20 years. Prior to the "red book" in my congregation, they used the American Lutheran Hymnal, published in 1930. This means that there was a 28 year spread before the "red book". That will be about the spread between LBW and the publication of the hymnal that comes out of the Renewing Worship process.

As I recall, neither the ALC nor the LCA (whose predecessor bodies had created the "red book") were interested in doing a new hymnal, but when the LC-MS asked about a pan-Lutheran hymnal, all three major bodies went together to create the "green book". However, soon before it's publication, some LC-MS people pulled out and they revised the hymnal and created their own Lutheran Worship (a blue book). Note, too, that they are in the process of creating a new hymnal -- 27 years after their last "new" hymnal.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Tom_Shelley

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »

Can you reference that quote about "useful life"?

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I seem to recall that line appearing in Lutheran Partners and possibly the "Action Pack" mailing.  There was an article in either Forum or The Bride of Christ about "The LBW at 20" in 1998.

Bergs

• Battle for truth, justice & the American way
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 03:34:37 PM »
Last Sunday in our congregation we sang Samuel Wesley's hymn, "The Church's One Foundation."  I said to my wife, that with the hymn's reference to the church as the Bride of Christ it will be at risk of a major rewrite in the new hymnal.  Just a thought as I read your post.

Grace & Peace
Brian J. Bergs
Minneapolis, MN
But let me tell Thee that now, today, people are more persuaded than ever that they have perfect freedom, yet they have brought their freedom to us and laid it humbly at our feet. But that has been our doing.
The Grand Inquisitor

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2005, 04:20:45 PM »
Last Sunday in our congregation we sang Samuel Wesley's hymn, "The Church's One Foundation."  I said to my wife, that with the hymn's reference to the church as the Bride of Christ it will be at risk of a major rewrite in the new hymnal.  Just a thought as I read your post.

Oops. You mean Samuel Stone. Samuel Wesley is the composer of the tune associated with the hymn. The latter, incidentally, was a grandson of Charles Wesley.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS