Author Topic: Does procreation matter?  (Read 2214 times)

Mike Bennett

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Does procreation matter?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 04:32:38 PM »
I purchased JPII's Theology of the Body a while back, and it is like reading Ephraim Radner.  It is very dense reading, but if read slowly and without interruption, it is an excellent read

To get a synopsis, I recommend George Weigel's biography of JPII, where he covers the background of the lectures that were later published as noted above.

If you're really cheap (talking about me, not thee) you can find the 129 weekly audience sermons at

http://www.ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/JP2TBIND.HTM

Mike Bennett
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

MMH

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 06:48:45 PM »
I wrote-
Can we learn something from our Roman sisters and brothers here on the theology of the body and role of sex in our creatureliness?

To which Brian responded-
What? That we can make rules about not using contraceptives the a majority of Catholics don't believe or obey?

And Charles added-
Probably not.  And they have not been all that successful on "enforcing" their philosophical view of the "theology of the body" in a world where people's experience and scientific knowledge (also ways in which God reveals) contradicts much of what they propound.

And to which I respond Wooahh!

So let me get this straight- It's OK to be down with Spong, Borg, and a number of other folks, but when in doubt, let's just hit the good old fashioned Lutheran "No Popery here!" button.  Theology of the Body is not about rules.  It is also based upon the insights of science, and if it is all about "my personal experience", then God help the Church.

Have you folks who are so quick to condemn RC theology on this topic actually read it?  Or is it that Humana Vitae cramps your style?

What I find interesting about HV (which is not the same as Theology of the Body) is that when it passed as written, it did so because the Vatican was worried about what would ensue in the wake of support of wide-spread contraception.  They predicted things like wide spread abortion, euthanasia, and the whole LGBT party package.  Everyone else pretty much laughed at them.  How could any of that occur?  Well, here we are 39 years or so later.  Somehow, it isn't as funny as it must have been back then.

In Ann Coulter's Godless, she raises a point about the "freedom" of contraception.  It means now that a woman can have sex with a man whom she has no interest in marrying and whose child she would not want to bear. And she asks, "How is this progress?"  Much as I may diagree with dear Ann on a number of things, I find myself stymied on that question...

Matt Hummel+

bmj

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2007, 07:15:43 PM »
Can we learn something from our Roman sisters and brothers here on the theology of the body and role of sex in our creatureliness?

Matt Hummel+

Several local parishes in our are holding 8 week classes based on John Paul's book.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/se0055.html
http://www.amazon.com/Theology-Human-Divine-Parish-Resources/dp/0819873942