Author Topic: Our Children's Church  (Read 5079 times)

Mbecker

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Our Children's Church
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:47:32 PM »
Some of you who frequent this online forum might be interested in attending this upcoming conference:

https://www.facebook.com/Conference2015

Dr. David Benke is the keynote speaker.

Matt Becker

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 06:16:10 PM by Mbecker »

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Our Children's Church
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:58:31 PM »
Some of you who frequent this online forum might be interested in attending this upcoming conference:

http://thedaystarjournal.com/our-childrens-church-conference-2015/

Dr. David Benke is the keynote speaker.

Matt Becker
That is usually the week of our family vacation, but if it turns out otherwise I will plan to be there, seeing as it is within driving distance and features several current or former members of this discussion forum.

David Garner

• View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
I read the title, saw "Children's Church," and was prepared to step up on my soapbox.  I'm pleased to find my soapbox can stay unassailed for the time being.

I'll be interested to hear how this goes.  I do like that it's being discussed.  One of my good friends, a convert to Orthodoxy from evangelicalism, said that before he decided to become Orthodox, he asked his wife "what's our 500 year plan?"  Meaning, "is the faith we are handing down to our children the same faith their great, great, great, great grandchildren will share?"
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
This looks cool--and would be a great excuse for me to visit Valpo--but a month+ later I am due to fly out to Wyoming for Part II. Will definitely keep this in mind though!

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

Sandra

• Baptizatus sum.
    • View Profile
    • Baptizatus Sum
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
I think I might actually be able to get to this...

The breakout sessions look interesting, and while I have a particular interest in the sessions being led by Dcs. Meyer and Carol Schmidt/Dr. Goodine (and would actually attend largely for those sessions!), it seems that they are a little pointedly added on to the topic of the conference itself. Is this intentionally being held and WO being addressed on Valpo's campus among the "millennials" issue because it is widely accepted there?
Sandra (Ostapowich) Madden
sandramadden1119@gmail.com

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »
I think I might actually be able to get to this...

The breakout sessions look interesting, and while I have a particular interest in the sessions being led by Dcs. Meyer and Carol Schmidt/Dr. Goodine (and would actually attend largely for those sessions!), it seems that they are a little pointedly added on to the topic of the conference itself. Is this intentionally being held and WO being addressed on Valpo's campus among the "millennials" issue because it is widely accepted there?

Hi Sandra,
I'm pleased to learn that you might be able to participate in this upcoming conference.

At Valpo and elsewhere there are many LCMS "millennials" who do want to discuss the issues addressed by the sessions that will be led by Deaconess Meyer and by Dr. Goodine. Thus, the planners of the conference thought these topics should be included in the schedule. Several Valpo students have told me recently they are looking forward to participating in those particular sessions.

BTW, there now is a Facebook page devoted to publicizing the conference:

https://www.facebook.com/Conference2015?hc_location=timeline

Matt Becker

Sandra

• Baptizatus sum.
    • View Profile
    • Baptizatus Sum
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 06:22:19 PM »
I agree that women's ordination is a big issue for millennials, but so are many other things. This is the only one that is being singled out to be addressed at this event about them, and (from all that I can tell) will be a one-sided presentation of a very divisive/controversial issue. I don't want to read ulterior motives into the event, but am finding that a bit of a challenge.

I noticed the description of OWN in Dr. Goodine's bio broadened from one openly campaigning for WO in the LCMS to being a group "dedicated to the furthering of justice for all people." Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with the group for some months now, but has their mission changed?
Sandra (Ostapowich) Madden
sandramadden1119@gmail.com

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
I agree that women's ordination is a big issue for millennials, but so are many other things. This is the only one that is being singled out to be addressed at this event about them, and (from all that I can tell) will be a one-sided presentation of a very divisive/controversial issue. I don't want to read ulterior motives into the event, but am finding that a bit of a challenge.

I noticed the description of OWN in Dr. Goodine's bio broadened from one openly campaigning for WO in the LCMS to being a group "dedicated to the furthering of justice for all people." Admittedly, I haven't been keeping up with the group for some months now, but has their mission changed?
In this forum the LCMS advocates of WO have generally denied that WO was a justice issue for them or anything having to do with rights, so it wouldn't be a broadening of the mission so much as a full change or argument to say the group is dedicated to justice for all people as though that were an extension of the argument for Women's ordination. 

Tom Eckstein

• Tom Eckstein
    • View Profile
    • Concordia Lutheran Church, Jamestown, ND
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 06:53:23 PM »

I agree with Sandra.  I find it ironic that one of the sectionals on WO is partly titled:  "Can we talk?"  It might be helpful to have some who hold to the traditional position of the Church catholic re: WO there to present their side so that those who affirm WO are not merely talking to themselves.
I'm an LCMS Pastor in Jamestown, ND.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 07:05:50 PM »
The late, great Joan Rivers has a copyright on the
phrase, "Can We Talk?"  Perhaps it is not too late to
rename that sectional.  It is wrong to Xerox copyrighted
choir music and it is wrong to infringe on the rights of
Joan Rivers.

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 09:35:35 PM »
The late, great Joan Rivers has a copyright on the
phrase, "Can We Talk?"  Perhaps it is not too late to
rename that sectional.  It is wrong to Xerox copyrighted
choir music and it is wrong to infringe on the rights of
Joan Rivers.

The last time I checked, Joan Rivers is dead, so her rights are rather limited, I would think.

Thank you, though, for the chuckle, Dave.

BTW: Slogans and other short phrases, especially those that are common idioms in the English language, cannot be copyrighted.

I hope you'll attend the conference.

Matt Becker

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 10:27:30 PM »
Tom Eckstein writes:
It might be helpful to have some who hold to the traditional position of the Church catholic re: WO there to present their side so that those who affirm WO are not merely talking to themselves.

I muse:
But isn't it an LCMS conference, or at least the sponsors say they are "Gospel Voices in and for the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod" so isn't it quite likely that those who hold to the current LCMS position and policy will be attending?
Retired ELCA Pastor: We are not a very inter-Lutheran forum. Posters with more than 1,500 posts: ELCA-6, with 3 of those inactive/rare and 1 moderator; LCMS-25, with 4 inactive/rare and 1 moderator. Non-Lutherans, 3; maybe 4 from other Lutheran bodies. 3 formerly frequent posters have gone quiet.

Mbecker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 11:27:48 PM »
Tom Eckstein writes:
It might be helpful to have some who hold to the traditional position of the Church catholic re: WO there to present their side so that those who affirm WO are not merely talking to themselves.

I muse:
But isn't it an LCMS conference, or at least the sponsors say they are "Gospel Voices in and for the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod" so isn't it quite likely that those who hold to the current LCMS position and policy will be attending?

Charles,
The conference is being organized by Lutherans (not all of whom are participants in Daystar), yet it is open to all who are interested in the issues that will be addressed. One of the break-out sessions will be led by a local Roman Catholic priest with assistance from lay members of his parish. You, too, would be most welcome at the conference!

Matt Becker

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 08:13:08 AM »

I agree with Sandra.  I find it ironic that one of the sectionals on WO is partly titled:  "Can we talk?"  It might be helpful to have some who hold to the traditional position of the Church catholic re: WO there to present their side so that those who affirm WO are not merely talking to themselves.

The LCMS has a long history of 'free conferences' held outside the auspices and official endorsement of synodical authorities.  These conferences tend to support one line of thinking or viewpoint on a given issue, and I can't really think of such a conference during my time in the ministry that attempted to tackle both sides of a controversial subject like WO.  The symposia at our given semiinaries do invite scholars from outside the LCMS to discuss and present on various topics, but, again, I wouldn't imagine them bringing in a scholar who was specifically pro-WO, at least not one that would be presenting on that topic.  But I agree with you that having someone presenting the opposing view would keep that discussion from becoming an 'echo chamber' on the issue.   
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

John_Hannah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2014, 08:26:42 AM »
The LCMS connection in Germany seems quite different with respect to tolerance for open discussion, including that about women's ordination. See the interview with their bishop.

http://wmltblog.org/

Peace, JOHN
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:28:46 AM by John_Hannah »
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS