Author Topic: 9/11 - Thirteen Years Later  (Read 1436 times)

Eileen Smith

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
9/11 - Thirteen Years Later
« on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:35 AM »
May we take a moment to pray together for all who lost their lives on 9/11, for their families who grieve, for all who were there - in NY and in Washington who live with horrible memories, for all who worked and ministered at the site for many months and now face health issues both emotional and physical -- for all affected on this day, etched in our memories, may God grant peace.   

LutherMan

Re: 9/11 - Thirteen Years Later
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 07:41:15 AM »
Prayers ascending.  I just hope and pray there won't be another act of terrorism today...

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:38 AM »
That has been my prayer as well, LutherMan

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 07:51:39 AM »
Today is my Anniversary of Baptism.

Thirteen years ago this blessed spring was turned into a crushing deluge plunging me into the ongoing sufferings of the Body of Christ.
Greek Orthodox-Ecumenical Patriarchate

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Chrismated Antiochian Orthodox, eve of Mary of Egypt Sunday, A.D. 2015

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
Thanks, Eileen. 

Dave Benke

GalRevRedux

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • The poster formerly known as GalRev83.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
May we take a moment to pray together for all who lost their lives on 9/11, for their families who grieve, for all who were there - in NY and in Washington who live with horrible memories, for all who worked and ministered at the site for many months and now face health issues both emotional and physical -- for all affected on this day, etched in our memories, may God grant peace.   

Indeed.

Many hearts are with you all, and with those you list, on this somber day.

Donna
A pastor of the North American Lutheran Church.

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:55:52 AM »
I live a couple blocks away from the World Trade Center. Prayers certainly ascending today from the closest Lutheran Church--of any kind.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

D. Engebretson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:42 AM »
As my depatment's chaplain I shared a brief prayer at our monthly meeting Monday night.  Thoughts and prayers will be there throughout the day.
Pastor Don Engebretson
St. Peter Lutheran Church of Polar (Antigo) WI

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:38 AM »
Prayers lifting...at the time I was serving a church in Albany NY, and remember all too well the impact in our congregation.
Rev. Peter Morlock- ELCA pastor serving two congregations in WIS

James S. Rustad

• μολὼν λαβέ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 11:36:29 AM »
A prayer for this day, designated as "Patriots's Day" by law several years ago:

Thank you for the prayer.  I remember sitting at work and seeing the news updates on my PC as we tried to figure out what was happening.  This event deserves to be remembered.

Now is my chance to go all pedantic.  ;^)

Today is "Patriot Day".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Day

"Patriots' Day" (Massachusetts & Wisconsin) and "Patriot's Day" (Maine) are state holidays occurring on the third Monday in April and commemorate the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots'_Day

mariemeyer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 12:20:25 PM »
At this time the morning of 9/11 prayers  in our community were being raised for the fathers and mothers who took the Long Island RR  that morning to work at the Twin Towers.  School children were crying for the mother or father they might never see again. Husbands and wives were frantically seeking knowledge of their beloved spouse.  Bill began making plans for an evening congregational prayer service praying that members of our congregation would not be among the dead. There was a strange hushed silence never to be forgotten.

Marie

MaddogLutheran

• It's my fantasy football avatar...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 01:11:51 PM »
I got both angry and a little choked up putting the American flag out this morning before leaving for work.  Perhaps because, although a little more overcast and humid here in Pennsylvania, I remember the weather 13 years ago was almost identical.  Got me thinking about the next hour--being at work, hearing about the first plane, going into the lab and seeing the second plane hit live on CNN as we watched smoke pour out of the first tower.
Sterling Spatz
ELCA pew-sitter

Jeremy Loesch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:19:20 PM »
It was such an odd day.  It was beautiful in central Ohio.  I was going to an early morning adult catechism class for a young man who worked the night shift and would receive instruction before going to bed.  I was a young pastor going through the Small Catechism with an adult.  This was pastoral ministry at its best and I got to be a part of it! 

When I got in the car to drive to the church office ESPN radio was broadcasting Dan Rather instead.  I was very confused because the station was successful so a format change was very odd.  My day was turned upside down.  My brother was in the Pentagon parking lot and saw the plane impact the building.  My dad was on the phone with church members who worked in the Pentagon and with their families.  My then-girlfriend and I spent the evening together watching the news and wondering about our families and friends who live and work in our nation's capitol. 

A glorious day turned rather horrifically. 

Jeremy
A Lutheran pastor growing into all sorts of things.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
Talked a bit about it this morning teaching the 8th grade confirmation class. This is the last confirmation class to have been born prior to 9/11. Granted, they don't remember it, but for next year's class 9/11 is something that happened before they were born.