Author Topic: Abortion for Men? Yup...men. Well, sort of.  (Read 1639 times)

David Garner

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • For He is Good and Loves Mankind
Re: Abortion for Men? Yup...men. Well, sort of.
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 07:41:56 PM »
You presume the creation of life, rather than the destruction of it, is the problem.

David - it would be more correct to suggest that I presume that pregnancies that end in abortions performed as an alternative form of birth control are the product of behavior that was not intended to create life.  And, in that regard, two persons are culpable.

If the man had any "choice" in the matter whatsoever, I might agree.  As it is, there is only one party who has a "choice" to kill an unborn child in this country.  That party bears the responsibility for the choice.
Orthodox Reader and former Lutheran (LCMS and WELS).

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 12:02:05 AM »

Pr. Bohler - perhaps you were not aware of this but women cannot get pregnant without the knowledge and consent of the father. 

Actually, they can.  For an example, read Genesis 19:30-38.

The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

Tim Schenks

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »
We could put an end to abortion in this country were we simply to mandate castration for the sperm contributor to every aborted pregnancy.

As it is, the man has no say in the matter...the woman can decide to have an abortion or keep the baby and sue him for child support. 

John Mundinger

• John 8:31-32
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 09:00:50 AM »

Pr. Bohler - perhaps you were not aware of this but women cannot get pregnant without the knowledge and consent of the father. 

...except that, in your example, there was no intention of terminating the pregnancy.  Yet, I'd be curious how many women who request elective abortions were thus inseminated.
Lifelong Evangelical Lutheran layman

Whoever, then, thinks that he understands the Holy Scriptures, or any part of them, but puts such an interpretation upon them as does not tend to build up this twofold love of God and our neighbour, does not yet understand them as he ought.  St. Augustine

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »

...except that, in your example, there was no intention of terminating the pregnancy.  Yet, I'd be curious how many women who request elective abortions were thus inseminated.

Indeed, in this situation, Lot's daughters' desire was to get pregnant.  Regretfully, there are women who have other desires for using a man in which pregnancy is a possible consequence.  Women can be just as judgement-impaired and/or depraved as men.  I am not sure what it means that the scenarios coming to my mind do not all include woman's loving assurance to her man that she has properly contracepted. 

To me your statement is like that of the politician from a neighboring state who was incessantly hounded for his thoughtless remark about women's bodies and "legitimate rape" -- a hounding that (alas) did not slow down when he said a few hours later, "I misspoke." 

Pax, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog