Author Topic: Noah the movie  (Read 5483 times)

carlvehse

Re: Noah the movie
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 09:42:12 AM »
According to a Hollywood Reporter article, "'Bible Producers Cut Satan Scenes From 'Son of God' Following Obama Controversy," it seems that the actor dressed up as Satan bears a close resemblance to a certain evil politician.  One can see how Satan might be insulted by such a comparison.   :o

carlvehse

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »
In an interview, "The Many Worlds of Darren Aronofsky," Darren Aronofsky talks about the Noah movie, which has a claimed budget of $130 million: 
There are no live animals on Noah, which was shot in New York and Iceland; everything living that’s non-human is rendered digitally. “We had to create an entire animal kingdom,” says Aronofsky. “All the animals in the movie are slightly tweaked; I didn’t want the clichéd polar bear, elephant, and lion walking onto the Ark; I didn’t want the shot of a giraffe’s head looking over the rail. I wanted to respect the storyline and think what would have been involved if it all really happened.”

In collaboration with Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), “We basically went through the animal kingdom and pinpointed the body types we wanted: some pachyderms, some rodents, reptiles, and the bird kingdom. We chose the species and they were brought to life with different furs and colors. We didn’t want anything fully recognizable but not completely absurd either.”

Around the time of this interview, Aronofsky was told by ILM that they had just done the most complicated rendering in the company’s history involving the animals on the Ark.

Along with the animals, CGI will likely be used on the Noah movie to generate the "Watchers," described in the first part of the non-canonical 1 Enoch. These were giant angels who fathered the Nephilim, who were the offspring of the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" according to Genesis 6:4; and giants who inhabited Canaan according to Numbers 13:33.

With IL&M, I wonder if we'll see Wookies and Gungans 'miss the boat' in the movie Noah.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
In an interview, "The Many Worlds of Darren Aronofsky," Darren Aronofsky talks about the Noah movie, which has a claimed budget of $130 million: 
There are no live animals on Noah, which was shot in New York and Iceland; everything living that’s non-human is rendered digitally. “We had to create an entire animal kingdom,” says Aronofsky. “All the animals in the movie are slightly tweaked; I didn’t want the clichéd polar bear, elephant, and lion walking onto the Ark; I didn’t want the shot of a giraffe’s head looking over the rail. I wanted to respect the storyline and think what would have been involved if it all really happened.”

In collaboration with Industrial Light & Magic (ILM), “We basically went through the animal kingdom and pinpointed the body types we wanted: some pachyderms, some rodents, reptiles, and the bird kingdom. We chose the species and they were brought to life with different furs and colors. We didn’t want anything fully recognizable but not completely absurd either.”

Around the time of this interview, Aronofsky was told by ILM that they had just done the most complicated rendering in the company’s history involving the animals on the Ark.

Along with the animals, CGI will likely be used on the Noah movie to generate the "Watchers," described in the first part of the non-canonical 1 Enoch. These were giant angels who fathered the Nephilim, who were the offspring of the "sons of God" and the "daughters of men" according to Genesis 6:4; and giants who inhabited Canaan according to Numbers 13:33.

With IL&M, I wonder if we'll see Wookies and Gungans 'miss the boat' in the movie Noah.
Interesting. Is that where we get the terminology for "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones?"

R. T. Fouts

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 02:31:00 AM »
WHO CARES how inaccurate it is...

How about we just take the opportunity to use this attention to talk about the Gospel to people!  People get stuff wrong.. duh...   who cares.... lets take those conversations and preach the GOSPEL!
----------------
Dr. R.T. Fouts, M.Div, Ph.D.

carlvehse

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »
Interesting. Is that where we get the terminology for "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones?"

From Wikipedia's webpage on "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones," the first stanza refers to the nine choirs of angels.

Here's a different take from self-described "Evangelical Catholic" pastor, Christopher Hall, "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones: Romanizing Bunker Blaster?":
"The big issue, however: how in the world did this hymn ever make it past our doctrinal review?"

"I cannot see how it jibes with the rhetoric of the Confessions."

Rev. Hall then quotes AC.XXI.3-4  and Ap.XXI.10-12.   There are a number of blog comments that challenged that viewpoint (which may have been tongue-in-cheek), as well as noting Hall's division of a quia Lutheran subscription into three models:  Evangelical Catholic, LCMS/CPH, and FC X.

carlvehse

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2014, 02:24:41 PM »

Well, perhaps some of those who take the opportunity to use this attention [to inaccuracies, or false doctrine, in the Noah movie] to talk about the Gospel to people.

Dave Likeness

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
Carl, you know it, I know it and the American
people know it, the film Noah is not an
evangelism tool for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

The subliminal message of this film is about
global warming, ecology, and population control.
In the terms of one reviewer, Noah is portrayed
as an environmental wacko.

carlvehse

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
The subliminal message of this film is about global warming, ecology, and population control. 

Maybe Algore will do a cameo.  ::)

jneace

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
No spoiler alert... Is the "Great Flood" in the new "Noah" the rising seas of Climate Change(TM)?

It would seem so, as excerpted from /Film Editor-in-Chief Peter Sciretta's September 12, 2008, interview with "Noah" Director Darren Aronofsky:   
Peter Sciretta: The only other thing I wanted to ask you about is when you were in San Francisco with The Fountain, you told me about your next project, which was going to be a religious film

Darren Aronofsky: That was Noah.

Peter Sciretta:: Yes, Noah, what’s happening with that?

Darren Aronofsky: We have an amazing screenplay.

Peter Sciretta: Who wrote it??

Darren Aronofsky: I wrote it. Me and Ari Handel, the guy who worked on the Fountain. It’s a great script and it’s HUGE. And we’re starting to feel out talent. And then we’ll probably try and set it up…

Peter Sciretta: So this isn’t something you can make for six million dollars?

Darren Aronofsky: No, this is big. I mean, Look… It’s the end of the world and it’s the second most famous ship after the Titanic. So I’m not sure why any studio won’t want to make it.

Peter Sciretta: [laughs]

Darren Aronofsky: [laughs]

Peter Sciretta: You would hope so?

Darren Aronofsky: Yeah, I would hope so. It’s a really cool project and I think it’s really timely because it’s about environmental apocalypse which is the biggest theme, for me, right now for what’s going on on this planet. So I think it’s got these big, big themes that connect with us. Noah was the first environmentalist. He’s a really interesting character. Hopefully they’ll let me make it. Oh that’s right I forgot I told you that whole religious thing.  [Emphasis added]

The February 12, 2014, Breitbart article, "Report: 'Noah' Fixated on 'Overpopulation and Environmental Degradation'," notes: 
Director Darren Aronofsky initially described his vision for Noah, the big-budget interpretation of the Biblical story, as a look at the world's first environmentalist.

A person who caught an early test screening of the film says Aronofsky's template is still present in the movie's rough cut.

Really? If they are going to make a connection, connect Noah to Baptism, as that is a biblical reference (1 Peter 3). However, that might anger evangelicals as it suggests that Baptism now saves you.

peter_speckhard

• ALPB Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »

From Wikipedia's webpage on "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones," the first stanza refers to the nine choirs of angels.

Here's a different take from self-described "Evangelical Catholic" pastor, Christopher Hall, "Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones: Romanizing Bunker Blaster?":
"The big issue, however: how in the world did this hymn ever make it past our doctrinal review?"

"I cannot see how it jibes with the rhetoric of the Confessions."

Rev. Hall then quotes AC.XXI.3-4  and Ap.XXI.10-12.   There are a number of blog comments that challenged that viewpoint (which may have been tongue-in-cheek), as well as noting Hall's division of a quia Lutheran subscription into three models:  Evangelical Catholic, LCMS/CPH, and FC X.
The two links provided don't say anything about the "watchers" and where the term comes from. The hymn is the only place I can remember using that term. 

carlvehse

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29:57 AM »
According to The Handbook to the Lutheran Hymnal (W.G. Polack, CPH, St. Louis, 1942, p. 609), the Biblical reference for Hymn 475 ("Ye Watchers and Ye Holy Ones") is Psalm 148.  This is also noted on this online Lutheran Hymnal web page for TLH Hymn 475.

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »
Always a question - how old did those oldsters look?  900 years old, seriously - what kind of wrinkles would those be after say 600 years?  Or were they semi-forever young? 

As tech moves forward and body parts can be accessed/cloned, will that be solved by mandatory body-lifts when you hit 120?

Dave Benke

I grew up with a steady diet of Tolkein's elves and Time Lords, so my imagination may not be as stretched when it comes to 900 year olds.

Greater longevity due to science may help us clarify our teaching on eternal life - namely, the sales pitch here is to be with Jesus, not just to live longer.

O.K., turning off my inner Geek before someone sets their phaser to "stun".   
Soli Deo Gloria!

revjagow

• Proverbs 9:8-9
    • View Profile
    • Article 7
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 02:18:13 PM »

How about we just take the opportunity to use this attention to talk about the Gospel to people!  People get stuff wrong.. duh...   who cares.... lets take those conversations and preach the GOSPEL!

When "The Passion of The Christ" came out, I researched some of the non-Biblical material and put together a short Bible Study/ movie guide, and suggested folks to invite friends to it.  The movies are a great, non-threatening place for both Christians and those who may be curious to come together and have a discussion.

This movie took me by surprise, so I'm not at all prepared.  Still, I contacted some of our small groups folks to see if they would like to go see the movie, one weekend, and maybe hold a discussion the next.
Soli Deo Gloria!

racin_jason

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 02:38:32 PM »
In seeing the commercials for NOAH on television, I love how the narrator mentions at the end that "this film is not yet rated".

That parting claim makes us wonder what racy scene is holding back the rating. As a public-relations move it makes sense, conveying that this movie isn't a Disney production directed by your Sunday School teacher...instead the movie is edgy!.
Recipient of the official Forum Online Get Us Back on Topic Award

George Erdner

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 04:17:16 PM »
In seeing the commercials for NOAH on television, I love how the narrator mentions at the end that "this film is not yet rated".

That parting claim makes us wonder what racy scene is holding back the rating. As a public-relations move it makes sense, conveying that this movie isn't a Disney production directed by your Sunday School teacher...instead the movie is edgy!.

Remember, Star Wars at first received the dreaded "G" rating when first submitted, so George Lucas went back and added a quick shot of the alien's arm that Obi Wan had cut off in order to get a "PG".