Author Topic: Churchgoing  (Read 2722 times)

Weedon

Re: Churchgoing
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 05:47:51 PM »
Well, that would be rather sad... to miss out on the very beating heart of the Church's joy: the forgiveness that the body and blood of Christ deliver, forgiveness not as an idea but as the very gift of His presence, His embrace.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 06:02:27 PM »
If rhythmic, hand-clapping, dancing-in-the-aisles church music would turn off, frighten or scandalize some of us (we who too often fear those kinds of expressions of emotional enthusiasm as if they were demons from the depths), it's not too had to see how our sometimes quiet, meditative, reflective piety might look frosty and scary to someone from another Christian tradition.
You do understand, Pastor Weedon, that God's grace and forgiveness can be mediated without having weekly "the body and blood of Christ"? You do understand that millions of Christians (including our forbears even in Luther's time) are faithful Christians communing maybe once a month, once a quarter or once a year?
They are not missing the grace of God or the forgiveness of sins.

Harvey_Mozolak

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • line and letter lettuce
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
Just thinking... while listening to CPE Bach's Magnificat...

walking through a museum (if the church is that dead) can prove to be a boring experience for many folks today...
who understands all this modern stuff and the old stuff is stuffy...
where would they be challenged
these folks forced to listen to timpani's in G
or shuffling from gallery to gallery
ah, a shopping mall, now that's the place...
or a screaming basketball game with one of my kids or grandkids playing...
or watching CSI as a body is dissected and some sexual twist is found to find the murder...
ah, now that that is the worth-ship of living

Harvey Mozolak
Harvey S. Mozolak
my poetry blog is listed below:

http://lineandletterlettuce.blogspot.com

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 07:13:33 PM »
If rhythmic, hand-clapping, dancing-in-the-aisles church music would turn off, frighten or scandalize some of us (we who too often fear those kinds of expressions of emotional enthusiasm as if they were demons from the depths), it's not too had to see how our sometimes quiet, meditative, reflective piety might look frosty and scary to someone from another Christian tradition.
You do understand, Pastor Weedon, that God's grace and forgiveness can be mediated without having weekly "the body and blood of Christ"? You do understand that millions of Christians (including our forbears even in Luther's time) are faithful Christians communing maybe once a month, once a quarter or once a year?

I've had a few Baptists who just don't get the idea that reading a prayer from a book can be a real prayer to God. For them, if it's read, it can't really be from the heart. Spontaneously is the only way to pray for some of them.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

Terry W Culler

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
An spontaneous prayer so often involves saying "Lord" every third word as they grope for what it is they want to say.  I know I shouldn't be so snide, but it sort of irks me. 
Trying to be retired but failing

Donald_Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
An spontaneous prayer so often involves saying "Lord" every third word as they grope for what it is they want to say.  I know I shouldn't be so snide, but it sort of irks me.

Ah, the prayer of the "just." Must have at least three "we just..." for it to be from the heart.  ::)
Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

Pilgrim

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

Tim notes: You're a good Metho/Baptist in this neck of the woods with the aforementioned understanding, Charles, Don't let Pr. Weedon's (or many others of us) commitment and obedience to our Lord's command and the confessions waylay your certainty of speculative mediation of grace!
Pr. Tim Christ, STS

Charles_Austin

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
I am a good Lutheran, Pastor Christ, relying on Lutheran tradition. What I'm trying to point out is that Methodists and Baptists also receive the grace of God and the forgiveness of sins. Their form of piety is not that which I prefer. And they, especially the Baptists, might not care for my high church Lutheran liturgy. But despite that, we are all in this together.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »
What I'm trying to point out is that Methodists and Baptists also receive the grace of God and the forgiveness of sins.

True enough. But they may not realize it.  ;D
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS

J. Thomas Shelley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »
What I'm trying to point out is that Methodists and Baptists also receive the grace of God and the forgiveness of sins.

Or they may redefinite it so as to  make it appear conditional.
Greek Orthodox Deacon -Ecumenical Patriarchate
Ordained to the Holy Diaconate Mary of Egypt Sunday A.D. 2022

Baptized, Confirmed, and Ordained United Methodist.
Served as a Lutheran Pastor October 31, 1989 - October 31, 2014.
Charter member of the first chapter of the Society of the Holy Trinity.

Brian Stoffregen

• ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 05:54:24 PM »

Or they may redefinite it so as to  make it appear conditional.

Just like Lutherans do - and often don't realize it. E.g., you must be baptized. You have to desire to receive communion, and receive it. You have to agree with our confession of faith - The Trinity, Jesus is God and human, the Bible is the Word of God, the Confessions present the proper interpretation of the Bible.
"The church Ö had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]