Author Topic: Farewell, Thank You, and Welcome  (Read 2741 times)

Michael_Rothaar

• ALPB Forum Regular
  • Married to Linda in 1970. Ordained in TALC in 1971
    • View Profile
Farewell, Thank You, and Welcome
« on: June 18, 2007, 02:44:48 PM »
I was scanning quickly, so I may have missed a detail or two, but I seem to have read on Page 8 of the June 2007 issue of Forum Letter, that Russ Saltzman has coerced his wife Dianne to obtain a new degree and get a job, which will bring in enough extra income to allow Russ to retire from his lucrative but stress-producing gig as editor. Richard Johnson has apparently completed his indentured servitude of an apprenticeship, and has been anointed to take over the corner office.

Farewell, Russ.
Thank you for your faithful service.
Thank you, Richard, for your willingness to continue in this distinguished line of thinkers and writers.
Welcome, in your new role.

Mike
Mike Rothaar
Retired from roster of active ELCA pastors 01 Jul 2012.
Mind and Spirit still working.

Dave_Poedel

Re: Farewell, Thank You, and Welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:35:46 AM »
Hmmm...this issue must be stuck somewhere in a post office, as it has not reached Phoenix.  If the above is true, I echo Mike's sentiments.

Russ Saltzman

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 11:15:54 AM »
I was scanning quickly, so I may have missed a detail or two, but I seem to have read on Page 8 of the June 2007 issue of Forum Letter, that Russ Saltzman has coerced his wife Dianne to obtain a new degree and get a job, which will bring in enough extra income to allow Russ to retire from his lucrative but stress-producing gig as editor.

Uh, well, yes, you did scan too quickly. Though to be honest, it isn't anything Dianne hasn't accused me of. In point of fact, though, I increasingly came to believe that Forum Letter needed a new voice, mine having grown a bit too grumpy. I gave the ALPB board notice two years ago, but I don't think they took me serious until about six months ago. But without question they have made a fine choice in Dick Johnson, who (aside from his tendency to use too many commas) brings to Forum Letter journalistic, academic and pastoral experience.
Russell E Saltzman
former editor, Forum Letter
former columnist, www.firstthings.com
essayist, https://aleteia.org/author/russell-e-saltzman/
email: russell.e.saltzman@gmail.com
Facebook: Russ Saltzman

Paula Murray

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 01:39:25 PM »
Many of us have that same problem with a plethora of commas, but if there is interesting stuff between them, who cares?

Thanks, Russell, for good reading for years, grumpy or no.  I'll especially miss the "homey" notes concerning the household.  We wish you and yours well.

And Richard, it will be good to hear more from you.

Richard Johnson

• ALPB Administrator
  • ALPB Contribution Leader
  • Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 02:53:25 PM »
Many of us have that same problem with a plethora of commas, but if there is interesting stuff between them, who cares?

Thanks, Russell, for good reading for years, grumpy or no.  I'll especially miss the "homey" notes concerning the household.  We wish you and yours well.

And Richard, it will be good to hear more from you.

I have a pretty homey household, too. Just not as many kids. And none of them living at home. Except right now, when both of them are.
The Rev. Richard O. Johnson, STS