Author Topic: St. Lucia  (Read 3939 times)

John_Hannah

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
Re: St. Lucia
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 06:24:42 AM »
Beautiful homily.  Thank you.  It is also the feast day of St. Odilia, blind from birth she received sight on her baptism.  Our devotional this morning recognized both saints using Luke 11:34, "Your eye is the lamp of your body. If your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light; but if it is not healthy, your body is full of darkness."   Some words I'd like to share, "Both women present themselves to us as symbols of Advent, reminding us of God's light which heals us of our inner blindness and illumines us in the darkness of our hearts."    As I read this devotion I couldn't help but think how beneficial - how cleansing - it would be to maintain the practice of living God's light, being a witness to that light in places where all seems dark -- most especially in these difficult times.  Thank you for sharing the homily.

EILEEN

You probably know this. Pr. von Schenk regularly ministered to those at a blind school nearby on Pelham Parkway as a voluntarily part of his calling as a pastor. Exemplary, simply exemplary!!!

Peace, JOHN

I seem to remember this and a distant memory that our choir once went caroling at that school.  Could this be possible, I wonder?

My guess? It is most probable. The school was not that far from Our Saviour. It is no longer for the blind but now works with children with mental challenges.

Peace, JOHN
Pr. JOHN HANNAH, STS

Matt Staneck

• Shabbat Shalom! Matthew 11:28-30, 12:8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
Great homily from the IC yesterday!

We are using the propers provided by synod for commemoration of the three feast days on these Advent wednesdays. Considering the lives of these saints has been a blessing to me and the congregation. Saint Lucy was especially apropos last night for us in the NY area as the early darkness was accompanied by a Bone-chilling cold.

M. Staneck
Matt Staneck, Pastor
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church
Queens, NY

James_Gale

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 08:26:21 AM »
Just in case you missed it, Dec. 13th was St. Lucia Day. You can still enjoy it on this http://www.svt.se/lucia/ Swedish TV production from...

This year's St. Lucia Day broadcast is from the Kungsholms Church (aka Ulrica Eleonora Church), 500 meters west of Stockholm's Central Station.  The above link brings one to https://www.svtplay.se/video/16240346/luciamorgon-fran-kungsholms-kyrka/luciamorgon-fran-kungsholms-kyrka?start=auto.  It will be available for viewing for the next month.

Frid och allt gott, Steven+

Simply beautiful.  That choir is so very good.

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 10:54:10 AM »
Steven,

Thank you! That is awesome. They can SING!
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Eileen Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
Beautiful homily.  Thank you.  It is also the feast day of St. Odilia, blind from birth she received sight on her baptism.  Our devotional this morning recognized both saints using Luke 11:34, "Your eye is the lamp of your body. If your eye is healthy, your whole body is full of light; but if it is not healthy, your body is full of darkness."   Some words I'd like to share, "Both women present themselves to us as symbols of Advent, reminding us of God's light which heals us of our inner blindness and illumines us in the darkness of our hearts."    As I read this devotion I couldn't help but think how beneficial - how cleansing - it would be to maintain the practice of living God's light, being a witness to that light in places where all seems dark -- most especially in these difficult times.  Thank you for sharing the homily.

EILEEN

You probably know this. Pr. von Schenk regularly ministered to those at a blind school nearby on Pelham Parkway as a voluntarily part of his calling as a pastor. Exemplary, simply exemplary!!!

Peace, JOHN

I seem to remember this and a distant memory that our choir once went caroling at that school.  Could this be possible, I wonder?

My guess? It is most probable. The school was not that far from Our Saviour. It is no longer for the blind but now works with children with mental challenges.

Peace, JOHN

Thank you!  There were a few places on the Grand Concourse, one I believe was a home for the blind and another a nursing home.  We would carol there as well.

mj4

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 01:43:21 AM »
Once again we celebrate the life and witness of St. Lucia.

From the Cathedral in Gothenburg, Sweden: https://www.svtplay.se/video/20339194/lucia

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 04:35:00 AM »
What a lovely service and fine singing! Beautifully presented, too. My mother and both my grandmothers were born in Sweden, and my earliest remembrance of "church" is St. Lucia's day and the Julotta service early in the morning on Christmas Day at Augustana Lutheran Church in Sioux City, Iowa.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.

peterm

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
What a lovely service and fine singing! Beautifully presented, too. My mother and both my grandmothers were born in Sweden, and my earliest remembrance of "church" is St. Lucia's day and the Julotta service early in the morning on Christmas Day at Augustana Lutheran Church in Sioux City, Iowa.

I was just there last week for a synod meeting.  Beautiful church

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 07:33:55 PM »
Thank you Mj4. The music is always so amazing; the setting breathtaking.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Dave Benke

• View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »
I'm going to show a segment of this wonderful presentation on Sunday at my Brooklyn congregation, because we have a row full of members from St. Lucia, the island in the Caribbean.  A whole different lilt, but they'll love it!

Dave Benke

mj4

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2019, 04:13:26 PM »
Sweden's Lucia is crowned in Gränna
published today 13.22

During Sunday evening, this year's Lucia Engla Ejdehage was crowned on the square in Gränna. On Friday, December 13, she will be the whole of Sweden's Lucia when she invites Luciamorgon in SVT which is broadcast from Gränna church.

It was in connection with Gränna's Christmas market that this year's Lucia was crowned. Engla Ejdehage received the crown on the square in Gränna.

- It's a great honor, says the sixteen-year-old who has a dream of becoming a singer.

Luciamorgon will be broadcast on SVT on December 13 when Engla and her attendants together with a children's choir will sing.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/jonkoping/har-krons-hela-sveriges-lucia-i-granna

https://www.svenskakyrkan.se/grannavisingso/granna-kyrka

mj4

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2019, 02:06:43 AM »