Author Topic: St. Lucia  (Read 3969 times)

MJohn4

St. Lucia
« on: December 15, 2013, 09:30:35 PM »
Just in case you missed it, Dec. 13th was St. Lucia Day. You can still enjoy it on this http://www.svt.se/lucia/ Swedish TV production from Olaus Petri Church. Lovely singing even if you don't speak Swedish. I especially enjoyed the Latin hymn, Veni, Veni Emmanuel at 10:08.
Mark

Norman Teigen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • I intend to persuade no one.
    • View Profile
Re: St. Lucia
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
My wife and I both thank you for posting this link.  She is of Swedish descent and I am Norwegian.  Here is my favorite Norwegian Christmas hymn.  Used to sing this in my home church in Mankato MN.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWBYK_WCZCQ

And, one more, for good measure:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO591bqOhHY
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:35:14 AM by Norman Teigen »
Norman Teigen

MJohn4

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
You're welcome! You may also enjoy watching various videos from a beautiful performance of Jul i Folkton, especially the 2009 concert at Cassels in Grangesberg, Sweden. Just search Jul i Folkton in YouTube.

Here's a lovely Lucia song for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYW9oH6eqyg.
Mark
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:55:03 PM by MJohn4 »

Steven Tibbetts

• Big tents are for circuses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
Just in case you missed it, Dec. 13th was St. Lucia Day. You can still enjoy it on this http://www.svt.se/lucia/ Swedish TV production from Olaus Petri Church. Lovely singing even if you don't speak Swedish. I especially enjoyed the Latin hymn, Veni, Veni Emmanuel at 10:08.
Mark

I visited Olaus Petri kyrka this summer while in Sweden, while a guest of one of the priests serving there.  Fr. Pierre's son, Laurens, is singing in the choir.  I'll be using the closed captioning to work on my Swedish. 

After hearing about Lucia celebrations most of my adult life -- Swedish customs did not follow in my family to the West Coast -- this is the first one I've actually seen.  Lovely, simply lovely.

Frid och allt gott, Steven+
The Rev. Steven Paul Tibbetts, STS
Pastor Zip's Blog

MJohn4

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 02:37:57 PM »
This Lucia broadcast will soon be unavailable on SVT.se. Happily, you can still view it on
Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnRRxrYCxg.

Gracious God, in every age you have sent men and women who have given their lives in witness to your love and truth. Inspire us with the memory of Lucia, whose faithfulness led to the way of the cross, and give us courage to bear full witness with our lives to your Son's victory over sin and death, for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Mark
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 06:03:15 PM by MJohn4 »

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
But we haven't missed St. Knut's Day, Jan 13th, the day we take down our tree.
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

passerby

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:25:08 PM »
It's always fascinated me how commemoration of St. Lucia travelled from Sicily to Sweden. Maybe it followed a reverse path of the Norman invaders from the island? By the way, my sister had the bright idea to get our DNA tested. We always we thought we were Sicilian but the test says we are 80 percent Swedish! (That really means that 80 percent of our DNA is shared by Swedes--more than any other national group). I guess that explains the blue eyes in our family. So as a Sicilian-American Lutheran (S.A.L.), I guess I should really celebrate St. Lucia.

Charles_Austin

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 07:01:14 PM »
No mystery about how St. Lucia got to Sweden. We Vikings kidnapped her and took her there centuries ago.

Pr. Don Kirchner

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:51:50 PM »
The Pitons are nice.
Pr. Don Kirchner

"Heaven's OK, but itís not the end of the world." Jeff Gibbs

MJohn4

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 11:21:51 PM »
It's always fascinated me how commemoration of St. Lucia travelled from Sicily to Sweden. Maybe it followed a reverse path of the Norman invaders from the island?

Not a bad theory. Scandinavia was being Christianized at about the same time your Norman forebearers were invading Sicily. Along with the spoils of war, they could have taken the story of Lucia back to Sweden. We do know, though, that in the same way that churches were built on the old pagan sites, the celebration of Lucia supplanted the pagan celebration of the shortest day of the year.

Mark

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:41:42 PM by MJohn4 »

MJohn4

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 05:45:57 AM »
It's St. Lucia morning and Swedish TV has broadcast a concert from Oscar Fredricks Church in Goteborg. You can view it here:http://www.svt.se/lucia/se-program/lucia-sasong-4-avsnitt-3. Less a solemn service and more a community concert, it's still very nice.

This year I am thankful for the witness of Lucia and other Christian martyrs in ages past, but also mindful of those who more recently have stood firm in faith and have died for their love of our Lord, and now share in his victory.

Peace,
Mark
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 06:06:27 AM by MJohn4 »

Jeff-MN

• ALPB Forum Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 07:50:35 AM »
This Lucia broadcast will soon be unavailable on SVT.se. Happily, you can still view it on
Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjnRRxrYCxg.

Gracious God, in every age you have sent men and women who have given their lives in witness to your love and truth. Inspire us with the memory of Lucia, whose faithfulness led to the way of the cross, and give us courage to bear full witness with our lives to your Son's victory over sin and death, for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Mark

beautiful music...
I have one question.  What's up with the tall pointy hats the guys are wearing?

Weedon

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 09:10:58 AM »
The lovely collect for this day from Treasury of Daily Prayer:

O Almighty God, by whose grace and power Your holy martyr Lucia triumphed over suffering and remained ever faithful unto death, grant us, who now remember her with thanksgiving, to be so true in our witness to You in this world that we may receive with her new eyes without tears and the crown of light and life; through Jeuss Christ, our Lord, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
William Weedon, Assistant Pastor
St. Paul Lutheran Church, Hamel IL
Catechist on LPR Podcast: The Word of the Lord Endures Forever
A Daily, Verse-by-Verse Bible Study with the Church, Past and Present
www.thewordendures.org

+Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Randy Bosch

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 10:31:26 AM »
St. Lucia, Sicilian-born martyr lived only 21 years (283-304).  Her mortal remains have been in Venice, Italy since the body was brought there from Constantinople in 1308, after the 4th Crusade.  The story of her life and the stranger story of the periodic stealing and recovering of her remains is fascinating.  They are currently housed (eyes separate) in a specially constructed wing of St. Geremia, since the name-sake church previously "home" was torn down to build the railroad station long, long ago.  Even Sweden is mentioned, perhaps not with the full involvement desired by some... Alberto Tosi Fei, a great contemporary Venetian story-teller, has posted a fascinating rendition on his Facebook page - look it up if you're interested (I havent perfected linking Facebook pages to this forum...).  His story is in Italian, but worth the struggle, so, buon ventura!  And, as they say there, when celebrating the Saint's Day, it is the Longest Night of the Year, not the shortest day, since "longest night" speaks more to the coming Light of the World than to human concerns about mere earthly daylight hours.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:34:40 AM by Randy Bosch »

Charles Austin

• View Profile
    • Charles is Coloring
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
I will contend that we Swedes have the best Christmas music. But maybe that's because my earliest recollections of anything "church" was being in the balcony of Augustana Lutheran Church, Sioux City, Iowa, for an early morning Julotta service on Christmas Day. We moved across town and stopped going there when I was about 4 or 5. But I remember.
Retired ELCA pastor. Iowa born. Now in Minnesota. Missing NY/NJ and trips to Europe. I despise Daylight Savings Time which serves no purpose, disrupts my quotidian body clock and (I am reliably told) severely troubles cows and other huggable farm animals.