Author Topic: A Theory of Thread Death  (Read 14198 times)

Nathan Rinne

• ALPB Forum Member
    • View Profile
Re: A Theory of Thread Death
« Reply #180 on: December 11, 2020, 11:04:57 AM »
Pastor Benke,

Well, like I said:

"I composed a response to both of you which I will post here in six months (putting it on my calendar). Why? Because after reading all of the recent correspondence, I realize now that my answering you now would detract from the semi-productive conversation that seems to be happening..."

...and I thought I should keep my word.

+Nathan

Dave Benke

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
    • Atlantic District, LCMS
« Reply #181 on: December 11, 2020, 04:49:24 PM »
Pastor Benke,

Well, like I said:

"I composed a response to both of you which I will post here in six months (putting it on my calendar). Why? Because after reading all of the recent correspondence, I realize now that my answering you now would detract from the semi-productive conversation that seems to be happening..."

...and I thought I should keep my word.

+Nathan

Thank you for keeping your word. 

Dave Benke

James J Eivan

« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2020, 12:44:37 AM »

Dr. Benke,

We obviously disagree about Kloha. No big surprise there. I am not saying no mobbing happened with Kloha. I don't know. All I know is that my convictions drove me to write intelligently against his positions and I know that this is a fairly common occurance when it comes to theologically-informed laypersons in the LC-MS who feel strongly about our heritage. Also, I'm not saying my purpose was ever to have him removed. I would have much rather seen him take back some of his statements. I certainly had no interest in destroying his reputation. When that didn't happen, I thought it was the best for everyone that he willingly stepped down. I did try talking with Dr. Kloha a number of times in 2013 when the thing first blew up. I did try very hard to listen to him, read widely, and reach out to him. He never responded to me. This is pretty typical really: the person who reaches out, not to destroy, but to connect with a brother (even if one's initial impression is that the brother is "erring") is ignored at best, or resented (even seeing people as "concern trolls" not acting in good faith) at worst. Sadly, its human nature, and one of the reasons Luther would no doubt rightly assail and lambast anyone who'd insist that one must "practice Matthew 18" when it came to public teaching or cease to act in a Christian fashion.

+Nathan
In the past others have attempted to point out that some, when unable or unwilling to address the topic at hand, choose to in various ways impugn the poster instead.
Here we have one of the most time-disjointed communications imaginable, as though it were the time prior to morse code or the postal service, and one party took a voyage by boat to Europe, sent a letter en route, now lives in Paris and the letter sent on the voyage just made its way to alpb forum online, hand-delivered wrinkled, blurry from water damage.   This becomes then not the theory but the practice of thread-death from olden days.  "We thought Bob died on the voyage, so his girlfriend found another suitor and now they have a child on the way.  Then we get this letter and find out he's alive and well in Paris.  Live long and prosper, Bob.  We've moved on." 

Jeff Kloha, I think, has done pretty well with his reputation over the years intervening from 2017, don't you?  Chief Curator for the Museum of the Bible (Hobby Lobby), who rescued them from some horrible decisions with inauthentic manuscripts.  Of the Bible.  Apparently there are conservative Bible preservers who do not have a problem with his statements or beliefs. 

So as the thread dies, Jeff Kloha lives well and prospers.

Dave Benke
And six months between one comment and the next comment adds an additional feeling of disconnect and weirdness.
It is rather evident that neither of the respondents to Mr. Rinne’s post agree with him ... thus their bombastic responses ... one devoting far more verbiage to denigrating the poster than responding to the post  ... while the second in the words of our moderator ....
But, sadly, we aren't without these kinds of comments, because some of the strange and generally over-heated contributors lack self-awareness.