Author Topic: Does Intermarriage Cause Decline In Lutheranism?  (Read 6703 times)

Charles_Austin

Re: Does Intermarriage Cause Decline In Lutheranism?
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
Pastor Ruby writes:
Wow. i haven't been on this forum for two and half years and I see the same sexually obsessed people having the same discussions over and over. Amazing. Really amazing.

I comment:
So persistence in argument and consistency in taking a stand is amazing? What is amazing is why you would care to comment. And FWIW, a lot has gone on here that has nothing to do with the phony charge of being "sexually obsessed people," but you wouldn't know that because - doh! - you weren't here.

Mike Bennett

• ALPB Contribution Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2013, 06:30:09 AM »
Pastor Ruby writes:
Wow. i haven't been on this forum for two and half years and I see the same sexually obsessed people having the same discussions over and over. Amazing. Really amazing.

I comment:
So persistence in argument and consistency in taking a stand is amazing? What is amazing is why you would care to comment. And FWIW, a lot has gone on here that has nothing to do with the phony charge of being "sexually obsessed people," but you wouldn't know that because - doh! - you weren't here.

But one can can't help but marvel at the persistence of the obsession that brings a question about effects of intermarriage on Lutheran membership back, yet again, to the same old, same old other subject, while others jump on Bp Benke for whatever he might say, on whatever topic.
“What peace can there be, so long as the many whoredoms and sorceries of your mother Jezebel continue?”  2 Kings 9:22

Brian Stoffregen

• ALPB Contribution Leader
  • ἐγὼ δὲ λέγω ὑμῖν, ἀγαπᾶτε τοὺς ἐχθροὺς ὑμῶν
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2013, 01:04:56 PM »
Yes, intermarriage can lead Lutherans out of Lutheranism.

No, intermarriage can lead non-Lutherans into Lutheranism.

I've seen both happen often in my ministry.
"The church … had made us like ill-taught piano students; we play our songs, but we never really hear them, because our main concern is not to make music, but but to avoid some flub that will get us in dutch." [Robert Capon, _Between Noon and Three_, p. 148]

jcraz1

« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2013, 01:31:35 PM »

Pastor Austin,

Sorry, but about once every six months I would check in and observe the same comments over and over about the same issues. Someone has defined that as insanity. Scripture tells us there is nothing new under the sun. It just seems to me by now that the same old suspects could have moved on to other issues, but it always comes back to sexuality issues for about four folks or so on this forum. I never said you were one of them, but if the shoe fits...... And who ever said you were consistent ?  ;D

Pastor Ruby writes:

I comment:

Georg Junker

« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2013, 04:48:22 PM »
These days, outside enclaves of ethnic minorities and recent immigrants, most people do not choose a church based on ethnicity. But when I have arrived newly at ELCA churches, I have been grilled by "the natives" as to my ethnicity. I am not a racial minority (though the grilling makes me fear what a minority might experience as a newcomer in these churches!) but in one case I was not Swedish and in another case, I made the mistake of admitting my "Lutheran connection" was a German grandfather. Apparently Germans were not acceptable among the Norwegians (a lot of comments were made about it), and the Swedes simply refused to believe I was not any kind of Scandinavian. This isn't in the upper midwest, either! Nor any kind of rural or ethnic outpost.

I would have brushed it off as just silly and almost cute, like a Garrison Keillor bit, but then I saw how deplorably the same people treated a few people who came from a more "exotic" background that is, Italian or Asian or Spanish.

Tribalism is a real problem already. Framing the decline of the denomination in terms of "intermarriage" is not going to help.